Travel advice needed (NYC)

Hello all,

The missus and I are thinking about a trip to northeast USA somewhere next year. We plan to include a visit to New York, since neither of us has been there before. We're trying to figure out how much everything will cost, and we were quite shocked by the prices of hotels in the Big Apple. Does anyone have suggestions on how to reduce hotel costs? Since we'll probably be spending quite some time in the city, it's not a requirement that a hotel or appartment should be in the middle of Manhattan. As long as there's a subway line to the city, it's not a problem if we have to travel a bit (as long as the area we're staying in is okay).

Another question: we were planning to visit other cities too, like Washington D.C., Boston and/or Philadelphia. Since we're both not terribly experienced drivers, we would like to take the train or bus between cities. Is it possible, and are there specific pitfalls we should avoid? We already noticed that Amtrak has a railway service between aforementioned cities.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    To start you off, there was a fair bit of good NYC advice in this thread recently.

Come on, I understand that there's nothing better than good old England, but someone must have some advice regarding my original post! ;)

How long are you planning on staying at each location?

Quote Originally Posted by cardinaldirection View Post
    How long are you planning on staying at each location?
    In Washingtong D.C. / Boston / Philadelphia: a few days each, and up to a week in NYC. We were thinking about visiting Cape Cod too for a couple of days.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    I'm not sure how train service is between NYC and DC. US rail is <i>not</i> as reliable as European rail, so you should adjust your expectations on that front.

I've never been to NYC and haven't spent much time in the Northeast, so I don't have much else to add.

Amtrak is usually reliable in my experience and generally the best option for traveling between NYC and Boston. It takes around 4 hours, but there are power outlets, shitty wifi that blocks Netflix and Youtube and you can drink the whole time.

Amtrak also has the Acella line which is faster, it varies in price, but if you can travel at the cheaper times it's probably worth it for the comfort upgrade.

You can also take a bus or fly. The bus will take around 5 hours, and easily more if traffic is bad. They are very cheap, around $15, but you get what you pay for. Some people feel strongly about specific companies being better or worse, but really they are all pretty similar. Flying is barley worth it as you will spend way more and still have to deal with getting to/through the airport so it's not really faster.

Once you are in Boston the MBTA subway system should be pretty easy to figure out. You can often walk between most places as the city is much smaller.

Its been too long since I have been to Philly/DC to give any concrete advice, but I believe traveling to them is similar.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's no wonder Americans are so reviled throughout the world when people come to visit and go to NY/DC/Boston/Philly. Those are the asshole epicenters of the country.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

1000 bux for a week: http://catskills.craigslist.org/vac/4138536210.html

(It takes 90 minutes to get anywhere in the city anyway, seriously.)

Definitely don't stay in Manhattan more than a couple nights.
    If you have to stay in the city stay near the airports, or Queens or Brooklyn.

What time of year?
    http://nysparks.com/camping/cabins/default.aspx
    Almost all national parks have decent cheap cabins^

GoogleMaps Streetview places before booking.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    It's no wonder Americans are so reviled throughout the world when people come to visit and go to NY/DC/Boston/Philly. Those are the asshole epicenters of the country.
    Visited San Francisco, Las Vegas and Los Angeles before, so it shouldn't spoil my opinion about the country too much then ;)

Seriously though, thanks for all the advice so far.

Obscure Node
    Airbnb is maybe the best option, because accommodation, and especially hotels, are unbelievably expensive. Me and my friend stayed at the Americana Inn, it is more like a hostel, but it was cheap, which was the most important thing for us. We booked through this site and were content. I'd too suggest you to not trust the trains too much. I'm from Germany and I'm used to trains coming at exactly 9:32 and arriving at 10:47, not a minute earlier or later. We only visited NYC and I can't tell much about travelling between cities, but I've heard that plane is sometimes cheaper than trains. Have a great stay there!

Quote Originally Posted by SophieJ View Post
    Airbnb is maybe the best option, because accommodation, and especially hotels, are unbelievably expensive. Me and my friend stayed at the Americana Inn, it is more like a hostel, but it was cheap, which was the most important thing for us. We booked through this site and were content. I'd too suggest you to not trust the trains too much. I'm from Germany and I'm used to trains coming at exactly 9:32 and arriving at 10:47, not a minute earlier or later. We only visited NYC and I can't tell much about travelling between cities, but I've heard that plane is sometimes cheaper than trains. Have a great stay there!
    We were looking at Airbnb too. Since we've had our fair share of hostels in our time as students, we were really looking for something more like a hotel ;)

Interesting to hear your comments about the trains, we were thinking about the Greyhound busses for some parts of the journey and were planning on at least one domestic flight.