Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Skip SLI, it has terrible support with many many games.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I don't mean to derail the thread with my questions but I am thinking of purchasing a rig similar to the one posted by lordcooper. I just wanted to know if it was worth paying for the Radeon 280X video card when I can get a Geforce GTX 760 card for 30 cheaper? Does getting 3GB of memory make any difference in games today over a 2GB card? I would be happy to upgrade my graphics card down the line if it is not necessary.

My apologies to the op for the slight hijack.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    The GTX 760 performs similarly to the Radeon HD 7950. The R9 280X is a rebadged HD 7970. So it's faster regardless of the memory. Worth the extra money if you want the extra performance.

The memory is just an added perk. The amount of graphics memory needed depends on the resolution you play at, and on the game itself. Games over time use more and more memory, but that's a pretty gradual process. Texture modding can also REALLY increase the amount of memory you need.
    At 1080p, 2GB is generally plenty.

Thanks man, helpful info! I will probably upgrade to the 280x then as 30 is nothing compared to the money I am already throwing at this. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Building that PC and putting it 2 floors from a router on Wifi - is like buying a Ferrari and running it on a dirt track

Look into either
    a - a lot of cable (you'll be surprised how easy it is to find holes in floors - or even run it outside!!)
    b - a powerline kit (how well these work depends on your home electricbut generally they are WAY better than Wifi)
    c - Wifi repeaters on the floors below

I hate Wifi tho - it's a pain in the arse - I like CABLES

SLI is another pain-in-the-arse - not only in getting the bloody thing to work with some games but in the extra heat and noise terms. Sole reason to do it is if you have a lot of monitors you want to use (I have 7 in here atm - using 3 - temptation to find a way to add more is strong!!)

Network Hub
    I had to bail a mate out of a bit of debt, so this is gonna have to be put off for another month. On the bright side, it'll give me time to take a long hard look at the 290X. Most of the benchmarks I've seen have had it topping the 780 while still being a decent bit cheaper. It'd also mean I can avoid crossfire/sli nonsense for at least the near future. It's a bit tempting, aye?

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Building that PC and putting it 2 floors from a router on Wifi - is like buying a Ferrari and running it on a dirt track

Look into either
    a - a lot of cable (you'll be surprised how easy it is to find holes in floors - or even run it outside!!)
    b - a powerline kit (how well these work depends on your home electric but generally they are WAY better than Wifi)
    c - Wifi repeaters on the floors below

I hate Wifi tho - it's a pain in the arse - I like CABLES
    I like cables too, so long as they're not overly visible. Would these things work well?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by lordcooper View Post
    I had to bail a mate out of a bit of debt, so this is gonna have to be put off for another month. On the bright side, it'll give me time to take a long hard look at the 290X. Most of the benchmarks I've seen have had it topping the 780 while still being a decent bit cheaper. It'd also mean I can avoid crossfire/sli nonsense for at least the near future. It's a bit tempting, aye?

I like cables too, so long as they're not overly visible. Would these things work well?
    Powerline stuff - nobody can say for sure. But most people I know who have used them have a pretty positive experience.
    I've also had sucess before with network cables by just pulling up the edge of the carpet and stuffing it under. More problematic to get it between floors though.

Yes. Even better because there will probably be 290Xs with better coolers available - the main downside of the reference version is that the cooler is inadequate (so there's little room for overclocking, and the GPU may even underclock quite a bit to keep the temperature down).

The 290X is as fast as the Titan, or perhaps even slightly faster. So it's certainly better value for money than the 780 or the Titan. Nvidia are apparently going to launch a 780 Ti soon, to compete with the 290X.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    I'd be totally against SLI also... I prefer single card solutions. It is just way more compatible and I think you get the best overall performance for the same price (usually).

Any of those 780, 780 Ti (both supposedly better than the Titan) or the 290X I'm sure are good candidates in this price range...

I don't think you can go wrong with any, they are just so abusively powerful! I have a relatively lowly 760 GTX running a single 1080p screen... I really can't complain. So I'm sure any single card at that range of power will just be way more than enough for a while.

Network Hub
    I've set myself a deadline. I'm ordering on the 25th. Hopefully there'll be some non-reference coolers for the 290/x before then, if not I'm gonna rip myself off by going for the 780ti. What the hell is taking them so long?

Activated Node
    Regarding the HDD's/SSD's you might want to pick up two 120GB SSD's and a 2TB HDD. Stick the two SSD's in software RAID 0 (effectively doubling your read/write speeds, also keeping the same capacity) and keep the HDD for backups, bad games ect. All this for a cheaper price to 1 250GB SSD and 2 1TB HDD's :D. Just a suggestion!

ps. also nice deal on the 120GB SSD's!
    Last edited by JimmySteve123; 18-11-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: It's currently cheaper!!

RAID0 is a bad idea. Much better to get a single 250 GB SSD than two 120 GB SSDs in RAID0.

Activated Node
    May I ask why it is a bad idea? i know its going to add to the points of failures but the supposed failure rate of the Samsung drive is 0.4% doing the equation 1−(1−Failure rate)2 (Array failure rate of two drives) it only has an array failure rate 0.64% which isn't much of an increase if you ask me. Just asking, i'm not that knowledgeable on RAID i just always thought the performance outweighed the risks.

0.996^2 = 0.992016
    1 - 0.992016 = 0.7984%

So RAID0 basically doubles the risk. And the performance gain is mainly in sequential read, not the more important aspects of SSD performance (where the 250 GB drive is faster). Plus you really don't need the extra performance. RAID0 messes with write amplification too, in addition to 120 GB drives having less write endurance than 250 GB drives. And to top it all off, the 250 GB version is cheaper.

Edit: And then you don't have to mess with setting up the RAID array.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    120GB would allows like 5 games. Some stuff that defaults to the OS drive you can redirect but not all. Plus the price has dropped enough to skip 120GB now. And as Sakkura has said you get some gains from the 250GB vs 120GB drive already. Do you really need more from a SSD.

Better off doing a backup to the bit TB HDD.

Go 2 sticks of RAM. Start with 8, might need 8 more in a couple years.

Personally I do a lot more than just game on my machine. I use up the over 8GB of RAM and the virtualization from the i7 can be useful time to time.

Win 8.1 is not bad and might be worth considering.

Network Hub
    The non-reference 290s don't seem like they're coming on time, so I'm opting for what seems to be the best performing 780ti and making a few compromises elsewhere to scrape back the cost. The scarily knowledgeable folk over at Tom's Hardware have helped me arrive at the following (peripherals not included because I've just ordered them).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (167.99 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (23.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (109.07 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (67.92 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (69.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (46.45 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (559.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case (91.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: NZXT HALE 90 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (119.70 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (13.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (65.99 @ Aria PC)
    Total: 1336.25
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-22 19:03 GMT+0000)

I'm still weighing up the pros and cons regarding operating systems, so that might yet change. Other than that, any final suggestions?

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why you'd choose a DVD writer over a Blu-Ray writer, I mean other than price? I'm looking at that Lite-On one you've listed and being amazed at the quality of the reviews it's gotten for something under 14, but then I see Pioneer Blu-Ray writer drives for under 50 and think "Why wouldn't you?"
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Blu-Ray not needed for games and normally if you watch Blu-Rays you would already have a TV and Blu-Ray setup. Seems a bit pointless to buy Blu-Rays just to watch them on a monitor (unless circumstances demand).

I went similar to the build above but aiming at 1000 and settled on a GTX 770 for its price/performance point, although obviously for top performance a 780 Ti will deliver. I was tempted by a Sapphire 290 after the Bios change and seeng it for 290ish on Ebuyer. I suppose will see what happens with the custom coolers they plan to release and how Nvidia responds again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    I'm still weighing up the pros and cons regarding operating systems, so that might yet change. Other than that, any final suggestions?
    Yeah. Get Windows 8. If you plan on playing games like, say, Battlefield 4, you will notice definite performance improvements (something to do with "core parking" and Win7 being overzealous with it, as well as Win8's improved memory management).

Obscure Node
    I'd say definately upgrade the video card, one of the more important components for a gaming rig.
    Everything else looks pretty good, but then again, what do I know? :)