Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar

[VS] State of [RPS]

In order not to totally hijack the State of the Game thread, let's keep the discussion of what to do about RPS here, shall we?

I too think that the BL revamp needs to happen, and that BLs need to be people who are ready, willing and proven able to lead in some capacity in-game for much of their playing time.

I do think that if we try for that, giving BLs a bit more authority in-game and out (?), that should alleviate some of the problems of leadership.

Then we also need to address the issue of respect for leadership, whenever that crops up in the game. Here, I think we must make sure to act instantly and decisively whenever someone is being disrespectful to whoever is in charge at the moment! Leaders will have varying styles here, and that is all good and well. Some will be more relaxed or tolerant, others more strict, we must respect the style of whoever steps up to lead at any given moment. If you don't like it, step up or fuck off! It really should be as easy as that.

A way to handle those who might not want to play as seriously or casually as whoever is leading plays can perhaps be "delta-squadded", as whoever it was said yesterday? Put them over into a squad of their own, where they can see where everyone else is and tag along or not as they choose, but not take up a squad slot for those who want to be in on whatever is going on.

Does that sound fair? I think we could make this a routine procedure easily enough.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

What? It's just 2786 posts. 2787 now, I guess...
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    And sorry, Bankrotas, I don't think there's any other threads being used that often in the PS2 forum any more.
    A thread for discussing the state of Rock Planet Shotgun would be this one from the forgotten archives.

EDIT: Or rather this new one started by EsotericReverie.
    Last edited by LaKroy; 18-10-2013 at 10:38 AM.

The Delta squad idea could be worth trying. It is sort of against my principles, but knowing how annoying it is to lead when people are not responding, I think it is worth a try.

Delta squad would be for those who just want to run around doing their own thing then? Better see it as that than "the corner of shame". It could house people who want to run a harasser, magrider or liberator in the general area as support for example.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    The Delta squad idea could be worth trying. It is sort of against my principles, but knowing how annoying it is to lead when people are not responding, I think it is worth a try.

Delta squad would be for those who just want to run around doing their own thing then? Better see it as that than "the corner of shame". It could house people who want to run a harasser, magrider or liberator in the general area as support for example.
    I actually really like the delta squad idea. There needs to be some name to signify its purpose though.

Network Hub
    Delta squad sounds like an excellent idea. Tidel32 and I almost exclusively speed around in harassers while talking on skype. But once we join the RPS squad and mumble, one to one communications becomes hard. And running two voice programs at once is bananas, as any TVA liaison could most probably confirm. Having a delta squad would give us a handy option to support RPS but do our own thing with tight communications at the same time.

But besides my personal gain here, having a delta squad option as an official institution could fix the problems we had in the past about different playstyles, without the need of having a strict defined set of rules on how each and any playstyle has to be organized. If delta is always an option, it'd be easier to start something new or different. You could either use delta for your own squad (like split comms/tight teamplay, etc.), or go to delta if you don't want to go along with the current style (casual play, long-term vehicle support, etc.).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Delta squad does sound like a good way to accommodate messing around, believe it has been suggested in the past too, like TacGir, TopGir etc, alternative setups supporting the rest of the platoon. Anyway yes, good idea.

Would be interested to hear if people think there is an issue of people not following orders at the moment. I got the impression we were getting a lot tighter in the smaller groups. Eclectic's initial point in the previous thread was more about furthering our tactical play, making it tighter than ever and trying out new things, rather than problems with people being unresponsive. Are we addressing a problem that actually exists?

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Eclectic's initial point in the previous thread was more about furthering our tactical play, making it tighter than ever and trying out new things, rather than problems with people being unresponsive. Are we addressing a problem that actually exists?
    Keeping a positive attitude and focusing on improving rather than dwelling on problems of the past is a good approach in my opinion. I hope we will do so from now on, but I will say that people being unresponsive is indeed an existing issue. It is, however, rare nowadays.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    Keeping a positive attitude and focusing on improving rather than dwelling on problems of the past is a good approach in my opinion. I hope we will do so from now on, but I will say that people being unresponsive is indeed an existing issue. It is, however, rare nowadays.
    I agree, but with a caveat: there are two kind of positive attitudes. One is the one described, which focuses on improving things. The other one is the one we displayed in the past. We are an alright bunch of people, so things will work out by themselves.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Delta squad does sound like a good way to accommodate messing around, believe it has been suggested in the past too, like TacGir, TopGir etc, alternative setups supporting the rest of the platoon. Anyway yes, good idea.

Would be interested to hear if people think there is an issue of people not following orders at the moment. I got the impression we were getting a lot tighter in the smaller groups. Eclectic's initial point in the previous thread was more about furthering our tactical play, making it tighter than ever and trying out new things, rather than problems with people being unresponsive. Are we addressing a problem that actually exists?
    It is relevant to unresponsiveness IMHO. There are people that are not responsive or preoccupied. How are we to advance tactically, if simple things like gather up or redeploy take so much time? How are we to explain good positioning when locking down a room, keeping fire lanes clear or advancing as a group, when people take so long to form up?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    It is relevant to unresponsiveness IMHO.
    Yeah, didn't mean to suggest it wasn't relevant. Just wanted to make sure that unresponsiveness was still actually an issue, since we have been improving and the people bringing it up in the other thread may not have played much recently.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've been thinking about this quite a bit the last few days (maybe even weeks actually), and I have come to the same conclusions as everyone else above. Leaders (of all kinds) need to step up more, but that also means that they SHOULD get the authority they deserve. Orders are orders, and following them won't ruin someone's fun.

And just in case someone doesn't want to follow orders, having a special "delta squad" where people are free to do what they want sounds like an awesome idea. God knows I sometime just feel like running around (or flying, as it may be) and shoot ze lazors and I'd prefer being in a free squad over joining mumble but not the platoon (I have to have your lovely banter, you smexy giraffe bastards).

As a side note, I also want to add that when I think back of my time with RPS, some of the times I've had absolute most fun have been with strong tactical play and a SL who's very vocal (I can recall several occassions with Ride and Eso, to name a few, as SLs). So more of that sounds awesome!
    Last edited by Sir Hoc; 19-10-2013 at 01:02 AM.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Hoc View Post
    smexy
    Is that even a word? If not it should be!

EDIT: Yep, internet tells me it is.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Hoc View Post
    Leaders (of all kinds) need to step up more, but that also means that they SHOULD get the authority they deserve. Orders are orders, and following them won't ruin someone's fun.
    Exactly; leaders, especially ones who've stuck at the job regularly, have every right to stamp their desired playstyle on the session whilst they're in command. They're giving up a chunk of their active enjoyment to enable better playtime for the rest of us; if you choose to be part of that unit, then going along with their program is basic courtesy.

IMHGruntO it makes a huge difference to our responsiveness and cohesiveness when PLs do explicitly outline their personal goals, intent and preferred methods, even without resorting to nagging individuals (aside - I too like the Dumbfire Delta idea).

We like to be led, feeling part of a responsive whole is what lifts the game above twitch shooting, and it's a compelling force when PLs tap into it. Last night was a perfect example of this, at least in my experience in Alpha squad as exposed to Eso, Nick and Dewi's various styles of leadership over the course of the night.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    My personal view was never that I was against more serious stuff, it was that I dont want to see the silly stuff disappear.

Ive always been there to stand up for not losing the silly/casual nights, because they can, and often do, prove to be more enjoyable than some of the serious nights.

Ive no issue with people playing seriously more, clearly, but I dont want that to ever mean the outfit has no time where we can just play for the sake of playing, or in fact be silly, just to accomodate more serious play.

It certainly makes sense to have a reorganisation to get activity and play style on strategic nights back to an excellent standard, but we dont need to just focus on this and eliminate the other half of what made us fun.

There are a lot of people who would have joined because of the silly things we have done and our relaxed attitude, myself included.

That said, I do think everybody should have a basic understading of those tactics so that they can appreciate when using them would be effective.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 22-10-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Change of direction for this thread:
    I posted a note about us in an outfit recruitment thread on the PS2 subreddit, here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...thread/cdsffv3

Not that we specifically need to recruit more members in any way, but telling people who we are is not a bad thing.

Very good initiative, EsotericReverie! I can see that thread becoming a nice compilation of the outfits on the server.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Thanks Eso; we're on the r/Millerside list and both the PS2 wikis. There's no harm in listing us in these places.

I was considering talking about starting some active recruitment, but decided to see what would happen after OMFG. According to outfitpoints, we've seen a modest return of players. We tend to pull about 2/3 to a full platoon each weeknight, which is not far off early-summer numbers. We can revisit active recruitment in the new year if needs be.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I've just noticed that the Centurion club has grown by one. Congratulations to MrEclectic, who now sits alongside LaKroy on the BR100 club sofa!
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    I've just noticed that the Centurion club has grown by one. Congratulations to MrEclectic, who now sits alongside LaKroy on the BR100 club sofa!
    grats sir!