Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

What's up with the lazyware on Steam?

Daikatana, 7th Guest, does these games really need to be on Steam? There should be a huge warning sign posted on these games warning people that their old, not really re-mastered desperate cash ins.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Steam already includes piles of games deemed by many to be sub-standard. Some of them are considered masterpieces by other people, and vice versa.

So no, your request is unreasonable due to inherent arbitrariness of art and culture.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Steam already includes piles of games deemed by many to be sub-standard. Some of them are considered masterpieces by other people, and vice versa.

So no, your request is unreasonable due to inherent arbitrariness of art and culture.
    They're old, probably won't work on a variety of machines, if people see something on Steam they expect some degree of quality or reason to warrant a re-release.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/255920/

Genre: Adventure

Release Date: 19 Oct 2013

It should stipulate specifically the steam release date vs the actual release date of the game.
    Last edited by hideinlight; 20-10-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by hideinlight View Post
    It should stipulate specifically the steam release date vs the actual release date of the game.
    This I can agree with. Alas.

their old
    There old
    One more time and you might have it.

I don't understand, are you saying that the release date should tell you when it was available on Steam, or when it was actually released? Because it's usually the latter. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream is dated 31 Oct 1996.
    Last edited by LTK; 20-10-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    'They're' as in 'they are old'.

As regards the cash ins, well they put the system requirements down. No doubt with many you'll likely find unofficial patches and fixes out there in the Google verse that will likely address any issues.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    If you see such a thing, just contact Steam support about it. Usually they are pretty fast in making devs change "false advertisement". Besides that I couldn't care less if old and "subpar" games are put on Steam.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I don't understand, are you saying that the release date should tell you when it was available on Steam, or when it was actually released? Because it's usually the latter. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream is dated 31 Oct 1996.
    Some games have their release dates like in the above example, just their Steam release date. I find it confusing at best, dishonest at worst.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Yeah well The 7th Guest was not released on October 19th, 2013. Steam sometimes imports the original release date, and sometimes it doesn't.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Don't buy them, then. If we're going to crusade against crap or sub-par games, the indie category would be wiped almost clean overnight. Personally I'd rather pick up such releases from GoG since they tend to have better compatibility and extra goodies, but I know there are lots of backwards people chanting "No Steam, no sale!" so this is good for them. I guess.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    There is a lot of nerve inherent in selling ancient games (without any new optimizations, that are consequently unlikely to run properly on modern machines) of this sort while making anything made by a small studio go through the high school popularity contest that is Greenlight.

Steam is either filtering for quality or it's not. If it is, why is Daikatana on there? If it's not, why does Greenlight exist at all?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Steam is either filtering for quality or it's not. If it is, why is Daikatana on there?
    Big publisher.
    If it's not, why does Greenlight exist at all?
    Small publishers/indie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Steam is either filtering for quality or it's not. If it is, why is Daikatana on there? If it's not, why does Greenlight exist at all?
    As mouton says, Valve are still in control and running the show, if Valve wants it on there, Valve will allow it. Greenlight is a joke.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    GoG.com works a lot better with these games. It shows the release date and lists the OS that they have been tested to work on.

It is fast becoming the mess Itunes is. Unless you hit that top 20 or are featured, good like being noticed. Apple likes to say they only approve quality but that is far from true.

Activated Node
    I rather liked Daikatana.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Why is Modern Warfare 3 on Steam, I though they were filtering for quality?
    What is this objective "quality filter" you talk about? Metascores? Your own personal opinion?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

also note that GOG.com support indies more, as long as they fit into the games that GOG sells. (not talking about their backlogging old games)
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Why are not all the LEGO games on Steam? I had to buy Lego Pirates from Amazon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    As mouton says, Valve are still in control and running the show, if Valve wants it on there, Valve will allow it. Greenlight is a joke.
    Well sure, and agreed all around. My point is, there's no justification for it. They're not protecting us from poor quality games by treating indies like beggars at the palace, they're just being dicks.