Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Totalbiscuit has upset someone!

and it's not me, for a change, no!

The developers of "Day One: Garry's Incident" are apparently unhappy with his (less that favourable) review of their game and have - apparently - gotten it removed from YouTube

Fortunately it's on DailyMotion if you're curious

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15...ent_videogames

I'm getting a Barbara Streisand feeling about this...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Wait, there was video evidence of game being damn broken... And they're angry?
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Wouldn't care. He can't play most games he reviews anyway.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It a terrible game though. Guy at work bought it, first half hour is all unskipable cutscenes, there's npc guards that just stand staring at walls, the protaganist seems to gain powers popeye style only from jack daniels instead of spinach, there's invisible areas on walls you have to interact with through trial and error etc.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    The developers of "Day One: Garry's Incident" are apparently unhappy with his (less that favourable) review of their game
    - no surprise there -
    and have - apparently - gotten it removed from YouTube
    How did they manage to do that?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    - no surprise there -
    I googled for it and found this reddit thread explaining it:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Cynicalbrit/...e_video_is_no/

Essentially, they claimed copyright on it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Here's another less than charitable review that's still up. Perhaps the size of Mr. Biscuit's audience made him the prime target of the scorned developers.

At least it was scored. 0/100 is... a score.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Wild Games Studio said: “Total Biscuit has no right to make advertising revenues with our license.”
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Wild Games Studio said: “Total Biscuit has no right to make advertising revenues with our license.”
    I've often wondered how some developers feel about the sort of money someone like TB can make out of videos which are, essentially, their work with a bit of "droning nerd" voiceover...

TB is one of few who have enough viewers to really stand-out and catch this sort of attention (PewDiePie is the only other I've aware of with that sort of audience!?).

It's entirely possible that a poor game could make less than TB would from tearing-it-to-bits - I'd guess people would be particularly unhappy about that BUT they need to remember that if their game hasn't sucked, that same audience would have been BUYING IT - you can't have it both ways...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It doesn't really matter what they feel about it. It's a first impressions review, and they're trying to quash it in order to sucker people out of their money. Why, precisely, should I think they're anything than slimebags?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Taking down reviews? They can fuck off, I often play games that get slagged off, but I cannot tolerate shits trying to manipulate the public. The review should go up advert free at least.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Especially considering they (apparently) sent him a review code for the game, probably banking on getting some free PR through his large subscriber base. Now that that's horribly backfired, they're abusing youtube's flawed copyright claims process.

Edit: TotalBiscuit discussing the issue in a video.
    Last edited by Subatomic; 20-10-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    It might be amusing to see how hugely this backfires, people are already obsessively digging for evidence to prove to Steam that it cheated their system.

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Wouldn't care. He can't play most games he reviews anyway.
    Maybe you should be looking at the big picture, I'm sure there's at least one video game channel on Youtube that you do care about.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 20-10-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Lots of other sites do video reviews, but they are more summary and not more than 6 minutes long. TB videos are nice since he comments on parts he is actually playing vs clips of play and talking the words which are put in the written review.

If they take down TB video, they should be taking down all their videos and streams of their game positive or negative. Or any gaming media that reviews the game.

"We protected our copyright because TB has no right to make advertising revenues with our license" Lol....
    Last edited by Moraven; 20-10-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Regardless of what you consider "He can't play the game" or not, he gives a better review of the game for the general audience.

And now these guys risk bringing on the Streisand Effect on them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Yeah, you don't have to like his reviews to be upset about this. This is the clash of a variety of problems: Google's hands-off approach to copyright infringement issues on youtube, legally murky territory for the "performance" of a video game (via Let's Plays, reviews, guides, and so forth), and an absolutely attempt to quash negative press.

It's not ok for companies to approve this kind of thing (referring to TB's videos) when it's nice and go all fire-and-brimstone when it's negative.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 20-10-2013 at 10:32 PM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I find it hard to sympathise with either side really. The publishers are clearly dicks, but if you're showing a ton of footage of someone's game and commentating on it as a way to make a living, you need to express permission to do that, not just implied permission as Bain said they had. That's how copyright works and it's sensible business.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Review games that are out properly, or not at all. Exclusivity stinks of horsecrap.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I find it hard to sympathise with either side really. The publishers are clearly dicks, but if you're showing a ton of footage of someone's game and commentating on it as a way to make a living, you need to express permission to do that, not just implied permission as Bain said they had. That's how copyright works and it's sensible business.

Is that really how copyright works? I'm not sure it is.

Copyright can be abused to work this way, due to Google's automatic takedown systems. It's not necessarily the way it should work, as I think we'll see over the next few days when the lawyers get in on the action and the video is back up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    When you send a review code to TB... do you not expect him to make a video on it?