Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Happy Birthday NS2!

It's one year to the day since NS2 launched, and there's an update to celebrate. Also, the game is on sale.

I can't believe I've put 370 hours into it since it launched. The only game I've put more time into is Team Fortress 2.

Many of those hours have been shared with the fine folks that show up to our weekly sessions. Thanks for coming, you guys are awesome.

Also, ECLIPSE! <3 nostalgia.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    All I can say is Hoorah! I have come to love this game in the past 6 months, mostly playing with you fine gentlemen!
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

My love of this game and this fine crew of RPSers is ultimately intertwined. I don't think I'd still be playing this game if it wasn't for all the fun we had and have together.

Also: Happy Birthday NS1 and NS2! Looking forward to Eclipse tonight (airtekh and the other NS1 players will be at an advantage though

Sadly Eclipse won't be in for a few weeks. But I can't wait until it does!

Good games last night. There were tons of newbies around; which was a little bit frustrating when I went Alien comm for that last game on Refinery, but they probably didn't know their way around the map too well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Good news everyone! I have recruited a good friend of mine into NS2 by gifting him a copy, I buggered him about it for the past half year, since he always wants to play games on the NS2 nights. But alas, I couldnt not persuade him. Fortunately I flogged off a bunch of cards and TF2 items on steam and thus NS2 was bought! So, expect another dutchman to show up soon.. Be afraid, very afraid!

Bread?

Kwis should be doubly afraid.

Now I would certainly play without you guys...but playing with you makes it a way better experience so you won't be rid of me soon

And yeah, it was a bit frustrating when the rookies didn't do as I said but hey, they are rookies. We have to whip them into shape

They're coming!

460HollandMarcelAntonisseEPA.jpg

Run, you fools!

Suddenly, Agent Orange got a whole new meaning.

Network Hub
    Will be late as per usual tonight ..

gonna try seed server anyhow .. I've made an adjustment to the RPS mod .. it hides badges from score

Just missed you yesterday balmark.

What's the deal with hiding the badges then? Preventing accusations of stacking?

Awesome games last night...although both of them was a bit long on the tooth. It was that kind of game where it is somewhat evenly balanced but everything is muddled from a tactical perspective. You can't really confirm if you have the advantage or not and when you do realize you have the advantage then it was 10 minutes ago and the advantage has disappeared now. So yeah, it was a bit frustrating.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Loved the game though, didnt completely cock up as a marine this time, which for me is a victory on its own. Although I can only really get stuff done as a marine when I have a jetpack, without one I feel lost, immobile and vulnerable. With a jetpack it feels like I can rain down explosives and fire on anyone that comes near me, even fades are evadable.

EDIT: Just realized, with a jetpack I am a firebreathing LERK!!!

Bread?

I think my brain is still frazzled after last night! Easily my longest game as commander, when did we concede? The 55 minute mark? I was so fatigued by the end I actually wanted the game just to be over so I could have a break!

There's lots of things we could've done differently. I didn't use nanoshield nearly enough for starters. I think when we recaptured Deposit we should have just pushed on straight to Sorting and attacked it with the arcs.

Another huge mistake we made was not harassing their resources in central drilling. I only realised as I was going to bed last night that I could've used the arcs to attack the res nodes in central from deposit (when we had control of it) and cart tunnel. As a result they were able to churn out loads of onoses and whips to keep attacking.

I don't think we should over analyse it too much though, we were pretty evenly matched, and it was a good game. Also, we all got to play on the same team for once.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yes it was a lovely game, I did attack central drilling a couple of times when I had a jetpack and a GL/FL. We did make a few games and should have followed your overall plan a bit better.

Also, we didnt nearly build defensive structures near the phasegates. That would have helped a lot.

Bread?

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    I think my brain is still frazzled after last night! Easily my longest game as commander, when did we concede? The 55 minute mark? I was so fatigued by the end I actually wanted the game just to be over so I could have a break!

There's lots of things we could've done differently. I didn't use nanoshield nearly enough for starters. I think when we recaptured Deposit we should have just pushed on straight to Sorting and attacked it with the arcs.

Another huge mistake we made was not harassing their resources in central drilling. I only realised as I was going to bed last night that I could've used the arcs to attack the res nodes in central from deposit (when we had control of it) and cart tunnel. As a result they were able to churn out loads of onoses and whips to keep attacking.

I don't think we should over analyse it too much though, we were pretty evenly matched, and it was a good game. Also, we all got to play on the same team for once.
    Yes, I totally agree. That was our biggest mistake I think, that we didn't attack Sorting right away. But hey, you learn from your mistakes And it went far better than I thought it would considering the fact that we had a commander who really didn't want to be a commander...although he seems destined to be a good one

Quote Originally Posted by best_jeppe View Post
    Yes, I totally agree. That was our biggest mistake I think, that we didn't attack Sorting right away. But hey, you learn from your mistakes And it went far better than I thought it would considering the fact that we had a commander who really didn't want to be a commander...although he seems destined to be a good one
    Well thanks!

I still don't like commanding though, it's so stressful, ugh; my brain isn't cut out for strategy I think. NS2 aside, I never buy or play strategy games - I like shooting and biting things much more. And in the game.

Also HUMBLE SALE - expect another deluge of newbies. Be nice!

Well thanks!

I still don't like commanding though, it's so stressful, ugh; my brain isn't cut out for strategy I think. NS2 aside, I never buy or play strategy games - I like shooting and biting things much more. And in the game.

Also HUMBLE SALE - expect another deluge of newbies. Be nice!
    I never buy or play strategy games either so that is why I dont consider my self the best candidate to command. I have no strategic sense whatsoever

Mmm, newbies...yum.

Network Hub
    Just missed you yesterday balmark.

What's the deal with hiding the badges then? Preventing accusations of stacking?
    Sorry I missed last night :P was 50 min trying to join that game heh

Anyhow, yeah, I modded server to hide badges .. mainly because badges != skill .. and one side seeing 4 badges on one side .. and only 1 on the other!?!?!!! panic .. you can tell the good players by now by their names rather than badges ..

I'm toying with making a pug mod heh .. started doing some web development for the 'server' side of it ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=194959337 ) .. can get NS2 to make webcalls etc .. but have yet to mess about with the main UI of NS2 .. will probably be just another project I start and never finish .. still .. using a model like
    Calendar, Game/Pug, Team1, Team2, (team1 and team2 made up of teams of teams of teams of teams .. 1 player is a team themselves.. ), Server

Wondering if I can use steam to send steam messages etc .. but that'd probably involve everyone adding some steam user as a friend or joining some group etc. .. era loads of ideas .. we'll see heh
    Last edited by balmark; 14-11-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Two really awesome games this evening. Both were games were it looked like my team (the Aliens) would loose from the beginning to the middle but then we managed to turn it around and win...or technically we didn't win the other game because our team Conceded even though we had the whole map. These kind of games are the game I play for because it feels so goddamn rewarding afterwards