Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Request for comments "Eldritch".

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252630/

Anyone has bought this? looks very interesting, very magical and stylish. But I dunno.

If anyone have bought it, please report some feedback.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    There was a hands-on in the main site a little while ago:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...s-on-eldritch/

Polygon gave it a 9/10. To my surprise it's not an early access title like just about every interesting indie title seems to be even though developer promised to add more features and content.

I just finished my first play-through of this.

The Steam store page for this describes it as a "first-person action game inspired by rougelikes and immersive-sims" (or something to that effect).
    As far as I can tell, it seems function more or less as it says.

As expected levels do tend to have plenty interconnected passageways and you often have many places to confront, sneak past, or get behind enemies. Also as expected, locked doors can often be unlocked, navigated around, or sometimes destroyed.
    I guess if I had to compare it to something, it sort of feels like a low detail and simplified Dishonored turned into a randomly arranged dungeon crawler.

I did find it pretty fun and I ended up liking it a lot.

I suppose if I do have a complaint about it, it's that the first world feels far too easy. I get that the first world probably should be easier than the others, but in this case it's easy to the point of being rather uninteresting.
    Because of this, I feel like the game doesn't really pick up until the second world.

That said, the game does have a "New Game Plus" mode after you beat it that is MUCH more difficult than the first time through, though I do wonder why it's an unlock rather than a higher difficulty level available from the beginning.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    is it like an easier Paranautical Activity?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karaquazian View Post
    is it like an easier Paranautical Activity?
    I almost said "Paranormal Activity isn't hard!" but then I remembered the dozens of hours I got sucked into that game before I actually killed the final boss. And they've made him harder since then and added a whole 'nother level that I haven't even seen yet.

I'm gonna go play that right now, and curse that I bought otherwise-great migraine machine Nuclear Throne.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Paul1290 View Post
    I do wonder why it's an unlock rather than a higher difficulty level available from the beginning.
    Because then it wouldn't have a new game +

Tom Francis did a video about it. Aside from cringing every time he leaves a revolver lying on the floor, it looks interesting.

How am I here again? But wasn't I just.... Wait, did something just move over there? And what is that sound?

Eldritch is mysterious and exciting.

Activated Node
    You probably already noticed if you're here... but a new article just came up.... It appears to be good

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Because then it wouldn't have a new game +
    It wouldn't, but New Game Plus mode in this game does a lot of good to the difficulty of the game, so much so that I can see a lot of people who would be bored with the default first run difficulty but would be very pleased with New Game Plus difficulty if it was available from the beginning.
    Even the normally too easy first world seems to work far better under New Game Plus difficulty.

I guess both my gripes (the fact that the first world is too easy and the higher difficulty level is an unlock) with the game seem to imply that maybe the developers were bit too paranoid about killing of new players too much and that maybe they overcompensated a bit.

Other than that it's a really fun game. Just don't get too turned off too soon when you find your first run of it to be a cakewalk.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    well i bought it

it is like a (much) easier paranautical activity - a game i found hard

but its way more fun, because the level layouts are way more 3D, and somehow even with the procedural generation they still manage to have secret areas and stuff

p.s if youve got £20, you can get 3 great games and still have change for a pint, with this and both you sir are being hunted and monaco being on the steam sale

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Not sure about 3D in games like this, looks like a pain to navigate. In traditional roguelikes you've got the map layout right there in front of you, making it easy to explore and to know where you've been already.

Activated Node
    okay Im stupid. how do I dual wield? I got a onetime explanation when I picked up my first item, and accidentlly closed the window to quickly. Now there is noway I can get that back, and there is of course no manual.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    ^didn't know you could dual wield.

This game is fun. I can't even say why. It does not seem like a good game at first, and the next thing you know you're halfway into the second book and though it feels like 10 minutes you've been playing an hour.

Activated Node
    nah, I misread it, with one hand you can do magic spells, the other you can use two items. I like it. The game reminds me of the old looking glass games, it has that kind of atmosphere. You also never feel safe, the respawn timer is pretty quick (unless youre not looting the corpses).

And spark is right, its that type of game when you feel youre playing a few mins wich you then realise its more then a hour.

the best way to deal with shoggoth's is to use the hypno spell on them, they are hard to stealth around them.

Just so I know once and for all, what is the current development status of Eldritch? The current status quo of open development and Early Access and legacy support demands details.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Just so I know once and for all, what is the current development status of Eldritch? The current status quo of open development and Early Access and legacy support demands details.
    ehm its not an early access game. game is out by normal release.

Quote Originally Posted by peschiNL View Post
    ehm its not an early access game. game is out by normal release.
    That's not what I asked.

From the WIT:
    Again, I’m sure Eldritch will be fleshed out in time, but for now it’s a throwaway affair. That’s no bad thing at all, given playing either Spelunky or Minecraft these days is approaching second job territory. I’m fine with lightweight, and I’m reasonably sure that’s all the game intends to be anyway.
    Even poor Alec seems a bit confused.
    Last edited by sabrage; 27-10-2013 at 04:53 AM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    That's not what I asked.

From the WIT:

Even poor Alec seems a bit confused.
    dont understand the confusion, whats now out is the final release. Maybe there will be DLC or patches, but if you dont like the current content the game isnt for you.