Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar

[VS] Outfit Chat 23rd October 8pm (BST/GMT+1)

Wednesday 23rd October: Outfit Chat

Where? Mumble

When? 8pm BST / GMT+1

Who? Everyone

Agenda:
    1. The Balloon Leader overhaul.

We need to lay out:
    a: A list of responsibilities that Balloon Leaders should share.
    b. How / if we accommodate specific responsibilities (HR, website etc.) within the BL structure (if not, then how).
    c. That we make clear that, having accepted the responsibility to drive and organise the outfit that BLs should expect respect, udnerstanding and cooperation from all members and how we foster that situation
    d. To decide upon a system of granting BL to a member such that BLs are seen as leaders chosen by the outfit, not imposed.

2. Miscellaneous BL overhaul stuff:
    a. A new name?
    b. What support systems (website stuff, forum stuff, in game stuff etc.) needs to be in place to support BLs in their work?
    c. Additions / changes to outfit introduction needed.

3. The outfit in general
    - The size of the outfit is shrinking. This is no bad thing. It is seen by some as an opportunity to 'tighten up' how we play. How / should we take this opportunity?
    -- The return of theme weeks?
    -- The return of training?

4. Getting in contact with drifted members.
    The optimisation patch is incoming. We should expect some people to return and we should be prepared. Things like the Mumble details on these forums need updating. We'll need volunteers for this.

In general, it would be nice to reach out to members and get them trying out the game again. We've never collected contact details, so this is tricky. Any suggestions appreciated.

5. Dewi's zombie event
    If Dewi is present, we should chat about this and make sure things are in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Regarding the zombie event:

I will be looking for volunteers to be leaders. I should have a document in place I can put on here before the end of today so people can see what they will be doing. There will be PS2 box edition codes for those who help, which includes golden weapons, SC and XP boosts so there is plenty of incentive here folks!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Taat sounds like fun, Dewi! When roughly, is it going to be? I'll be away for a couple of days the next few weeks.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

It'll be Wednesday 30th at 20:00 BST

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    MrKoronas made an interesting remark last night. That is the target date for the release of the first optimization patch. Perhaps you should discuss it with the PSG guys, and have a backup plan in case the patch process doesn't go smoothly (as those are prone to).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Could you also discuss the following topic: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...e-PTS-showdown

Just for me to get an idea if there is real interest and a rough sketch of numbers would be great.
    Last edited by Dominicus; 22-10-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    Awesome! I should be able to join and help in that case (as long as their are no patch SNAFUs that is).
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    MrKoronas made an interesting remark last night. That is the target date for the release of the first optimization patch. Perhaps you should discuss it with the PSG guys, and have a backup plan in case the patch process doesn't go smoothly (as those are prone to).
    They has mentioned it, I've emailed them now to double check.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    Could you also discuss the following topic: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...e-PTS-showdown

Just for me to get an idea if there is real interest and a rough sketch of numbers would be great.
    I'm planning on jumping on this once the Halloween event is done (quite a lot of work to do on that), but sure, I'll bring it up for interest sake. I'll also see whether people would want to do this on the nexus...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Count me and my ZombieLeader2 in for next Wednesday. :)

Let's take this to the other thread people, let's not clutter the outfit chat one!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I can't make it tonight, must pack for Amsterdam trip. I can give some input, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Agenda:
    1. The Balloon Leader overhaul. We need to lay out:
    b. How / if we accommodate specific responsibilities (HR, website etc.) within the BL structure (if not, then how).
    c. That we make clear that, having accepted the responsibility to drive and organise the outfit that BLs should expect respect, udnerstanding and cooperation from all members and how we foster that situation
    d. To decide upon a system of granting BL to a member such that BLs are seen as leaders chosen by the outfit, not imposed.
    a. BLresponsibilities = ["lead platoons", "outfit introductions", "encourage TVA cooperation"];
    b. No. Let's do this some other way. It's been a b it confusing, the waythings have been. Let's make BL an in-game leadership rank, please.
    c. Yes, absolutely! Though this should really go for anyone who takes up leadership in the game.
    d. Process suggestion: nominations, seconded, like before. Add the option for the nominee to decline the promotion, ensuring they know what responsibilities it entails. Done! This could very well be done in-game under more or less ceremonial circumstances.

a. A new name?
    b. What support systems (website stuff, forum stuff, in game stuff etc.) needs to be in place to support BLs in their work?
    a. Er... I dunno, maybe? But if we turn it into a strictly game-leadership-related position, then BL is still a pretty good name.
    b. forum stuff: BL's perks and responsibilities must be updated. Website stuff: ditto. In game stuff: we need to turn all BLs into Girofficers, I guess, or at least ask them if they want to mantle the new responsibilities that the rank has been given, and give them the option to step down if they don't want that.
    c. Two things that I can see: 1) if/when BL is mentioned, update its description. 2) make sure we include the Dumbfire Delta system! ("Follow your damn orders if you're in the platoon, unless you're in Dumbfire Deltas, in which case you can piss about as you wish. Dumbfire Delta are kicked from platoon when four squads are needed.")

3. The outfit in general
    - The size of the outfit is shrinking. This is no bad thing. It is seen by some as an opportunity to 'tighten up' how we play. How / should we take this opportunity?
    Yes please! and Yes please! Both of these are things that a) were fun and b) actually made a difference to how we play and to our effectiveness as a fighting force. Perhaps especially the first couple of theme weeks, when people were really enthusiastic about it.

This is a tricky one. I think it would be a good idea, but don't really have any suggestions on how to achieve it.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    @Eso thanks for responding.

If BL is gonna be an in-game leadership only thing than we still have the outstanding issue of recognising "outfit leaders": the people who drive / organise the outfit in an out-of-game capacity. The outfit is strongest when we have good in-game leaders and also people taking responsibility to organise training, theme weeks, and the like.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    Agenda:
    1. The Balloon Leader overhaul.
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    a: BL responsibilities = ["lead platoons", "outfit introductions", "encourage TVA cooperation"];
    (Ha! You wrote that in ARMA3 editor code Eso). Agreed though, nothing to add.

b: How / if we accommodate specific responsibilities (HR, website etc.) within the BL structure (if not, then how).
    b: No. Let's do this some other way. It's been a b it confusing, the waythings have been. Let's make BL an in-game leadership rank, please.
    HR will likely be at BL rank or above anyway, website or forum ideas/people; as they are very specific, should probably just be advertised through /platoon or on these forums. Whoever isn't already on the forums frankly, probably doesnt care enough, and whoever is already knows who fills these roles anyway. It doesn't effect in-game outfit structure, so i agree with Eso here.

c: That we make clear that, having accepted the responsibility to drive and organise the outfit that BLs should expect respect, udnerstanding and cooperation from all members and how we foster that situation.
    c. Yes, absolutely! Though this should really go for anyone who takes up leadership in the game.
    Agreed, whoever steps up to be an SL or a PL should, and arguably are, respected for doing so. Though in this case specifically PL's. Which of course, is why we have HR. Any cases of public descent or non-excellence towards PL or the Platoon will then be addressed. This isnt a big issue i feel, though may encourage people to lead more.

d. Process suggestion: nominations, seconded, like before. Add the option for the nominee to decline the promotion, ensuring they know what responsibilities it entails. Done! This could very well be done in-game under more or less ceremonial circumstances.
    Nothing more to add. This is proven to work. P.G.O.A. still alive.

a. A new name?
    I would love to see a new name, Girofficer was a really nice replacement for Giraffe Beacon. Hopefully we can find something equally good... Lets have Saturday as a day of putting forward suggestions on a new thread, then on Sunday create a poll so people can vote on their favourite. Then on Monday, one of the Supreme Giraffes make's it official in-game.

BL's perks and responsibilities must be updated. Website stuff: ditto. In game stuff: we need to turn all BLs into Girofficers, I guess, or at least ask them if they want to mantle the new responsibilities that the rank has been given, and give them the option to step down if they don't want that.
    Agreed and nothing to add.

Two things that I can see: 1) if/when BL is mentioned, update its description. 2) make sure we include the Dumbfire Delta system! ("Follow your damn orders if you're in the platoon, unless you're in Dumbfire Deltas, in which case you can piss about as you wish. Dumbfire Delta are kicked from platoon when four squads are needed.")
    Agreed. Create a new 'DFD' tab on the website maybe? Nothing more to add.

3. The outfit in general
    Yes please! and Yes please! Both of these are things that a) were fun and b) actually made a difference to how we play and to our effectiveness as a fighting force. Perhaps especially the first couple of theme weeks, when people were really enthusiastic about it.
    Yeah, people were talking about more 'TacGir' style squad play and that has been successful when the effort was put in! Recently people have been talking about wanting to do more TopGir, so let's make that happen in the same way. Every week it might be nice to have a ticker on the website or a shout-out on mumble asking if anyone has any ideas for "This week's theme!"?

The optimisation patch is incoming. We should expect some people to return and we should be prepared. Things like the Mumble details on these forums need updating. We'll need volunteers for this.

In general, it would be nice to reach out to members and get them trying out the game again. We've never collected contact details, so this is tricky. Any suggestions appreciated.
    I think it would be a great idea to if it were that easy. In the absence of having any contact details, (Steam, Origin, email, the odd sighting on Mumble) then it might just boil down to chance. With the Opt patch, Hossin and the winter months looming on the horizon i wouldn't be surprised if some of the old breed start coming back out of curiosity. The Outfit is in a much more solid state than ever before, so if and when people come back they'll definitely be walking into an experienced and awesome community.

5. Dewi's zombie event
    If Dewi is present, we should chat about this and make sure things are in place.
    Yeah. Thread link( http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...t-October-2013 )for Mumble broadcast.
    Last edited by NickWhite; 23-10-2013 at 06:01 PM.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    If we were to go with BL being only an in game thing, then I dont see that any of these other responsibilities need to be represented here. HR, Website etc can have some other means of indication...

That said, most of the people in charge of doing extra responsibilities are already BL and probably wish to be so still.

Think this is already fairly implied in that these people often lead anyway (too right).

The current system worked well for this I think, as it was based on member votes, however not all BLs have maintained leadership roles, or are active.

a. A new name?
    New name would be a good idea. In game change implied.

If we decide on a new method of voting, it could be incorporated into the site, but its not all that necessary, as some of the current website systems arent used as much as they should be anyway.

3. The outfit in general
    Shouldnt really have disappeared if people want them, but rely entirely on whether or not people want to (and will) lead such things.

This is a difficult one, because I myself only have steam/origin contacts of people who are still about.

5. Dewi's zombie event
    Enough said.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'll post up all the notes and audio recordings this afternoon from last nights meeting.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Not sure if this is the right place for this but I missed last night's chat and I gather BL responsibilities are now to be taken seriously. Since I haven't been playing a lot lately and when I do I'm working on my flying skills I'm not actually performing the function of a BL anyway. I should probably therefor resign my rank. Happy to be busted down to giraffe or girofficer as others see fit. I'm happy to lead squads when I'm on the ground but I think I won't be leading platoons regularly until somewhere post optimisation patch if/when I get back into the game like I was until about June this year. Until then I should respect the BL rank and admit that I'm, de facto, not one.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

I think it goes without saying that I shouldn't be BL, so please demote away.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    I think it goes without saying that I shouldn't be BL, so please demote away.
    same here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    same here.
    Also me /10char

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I have no interest at all in doing admin work and I don't see how we will need very much of it with our size going forward, but from yesterday I understand that the admin bit is very important, so I should perhaps not be BL then. If that is the case it should be restricted to Cooper, Eso, CMaster and others that actually do that stuff and have done it in the past. I never have, so.

I do want to lead in game sometime in the future though, I think, but I got a bit confused if you should be BL to lead or not yesterday. I guess I'll wait for pepperbottommans notes to see what it would mean.
    Find me on the Steams