Renegade, Paper, Shotgun - Renegade X

Renegade X has been released, a total port to the UT3 engine of olde CnC: Renegade.

http://renegade-x.com/download
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 26-02-2014 at 10:11 AM. Reason: UT3 engine, not crysis
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    NOD rules all!

GDI is pretty cool too :D

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yep, Love this game. Excellent piece of work!
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

oh and dont forget: use the launcher for reliable connecting!
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Hotwiggly and Hotwire showing Nod how it is done!

We had so much fun, didn't we? Honestly, I love it that this game has all these glitches still, makes for so much fun and creative gameplay. Apart from that it is really well done.

What do you guys think of the additions like airstrikes and silos though? I find them rather imbalanced (airstrike) and favoring the team that is dominating anyway (silos). I'd actually prefer them gone. Just like the purchasable tiberium weapons, they are crap too (and broken atm). Always nice to have an Engie with tiberium rifle kill my 1000$ anti-tank unit...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Aaah yes, that was good fun. We should load it with engi's someday and go to town on the enemy!

I am not too familiar with the original game but yes that seems to be true Kwisatz.

Bread?

Quote Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post

What do you guys think of the additions like airstrikes and silos though? I find them rather imbalanced (airstrike) and favoring the team that is dominating anyway (silos). I'd actually prefer them gone. Just like the purchasable tiberium weapons, they are crap too (and broken atm). Always nice to have an Engie with tiberium rifle kill my 1000$ anti-tank unit...
    er, CnC had airstrikes. I think its all based a bit more on Generals anyway, which had superior gameplay.

Anyhow, the silos are a bit useless, but I thought they gave extra resources?

The only problem I have with the game is invisible walls regarding to air units.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Right, so Quanta's asked that I write a bit of clarification regarding hitscan/non-hitscan weapons, so I'll be happy to share what I know in excruciating detail. Keep in mind, I'm just going off of what I've seen and the info I've dived into myself. It's not real tricky to figure out on your own of course, but you might not expect it from a usually fairly-arcadey game like this and put it down to lag/hitbox issues otherwise!

So something I had completely forgotten about before spending a fair amount of time with this game was that the original Renegade was pretty unique in that many of the weapon types which were typically hitscan (ie. when you fire, it's a simple instant check whether you were aimed at the target or not, as I'm sure you know) in other games at the time fired actual projectiles with travel time.

Presumably, this was implemented because the maps in the game tended to have comparatively much longer combat ranges than most other shooters of the time, and as a clever way of further differentiating the different weapons, making, say, the $500 credit sniper more than just a Markman with a bit more damage. I remember thinking it was really cool, anyway!

Renegade X seems to have maintained these weapon properties. You can actually see for yourself in a simple bot skirmish game (no concern for lag) that if you fire the base Soldier's assault rifle at a wall from not too far a range, there's a fairly clear delay between firing and the round's impact that increases the further away you are. For that matter, if you look close you can actually see the round in flight. The Marksman rifle appears to have a somewhat faster projectile speed but you can still see the round and the delay from firing to impact on a sufficiently far shot.

From my observations, I feel reasonably confident in stating that any of the free base class guns fire projectiles with some amount of travel time, except the Shotgun which hits instantly but only within its (verrrry short) range, with an individual Assault Rifle round going noticeably slower than one fired by the Marksman.

For sidearms, the Silenced Pistol seems to be instant or close enough to it within the range it reaches, whereas the Machine Pistol and Heavy Pistol both have fairly slower rounds. The Carbine is the only one I'm not sure on, but I believe it is instant or close enough to it within its operative range like its silenced counterpart.

The Officer's chaingun definitely has travel time per round, as does Patch's rifle, and McFarland's flak is pretty obvious. All the other special unit weapons (Lasers, Railguns, Personal Ion Cannons, Volt Guns) are instant as you might expect, as are the proper sniper weapons (Ramjets and the rifles carried by Deadeye/Black Hand Sniper).

Rule of thumb is basically all weapons that aren't energy-based and have an effective range sufficient for it to matter have projectile travel time, with the exception being the dedicated sniper classes (again, NOT the Marksman, who is designed for longer-range precision fire than a regular Soldier but still not a true sniper). And don't forget that "effective range" is very much an important stat in this game; there's no bullet drop per se, rounds simply disappear beyond their effective range. If you're firing at a building a few feet away with a shotgun and not seeing any impacts, it's probably not just not drawing them, it's literally not hitting anymore!

I hope this info is helpful in better gauging when and how you should be properly leading moving targets!

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    er, CnC had airstrikes. I think its all based a bit more on Generals anyway, which had superior gameplay.

Anyhow, the silos are a bit useless, but I thought they gave extra resources?

The only problem I have with the game is invisible walls regarding to air units.
    Well, Generals is a whole different story than the Tiberium universe. The game is obviously based on the original Renegade which was based on C&C 1: Tiberium Conflict. That didn't have airstrikes, did it? Anyway, airstrikes do too much damage and can be spammed, which makes them very unfun, especially since it is hard to tell when they gonna hit.

Silos do produce credits, but only to the team which conquered them. Consequently, the team that is dominating and has map control anyway (which on most maps means it can continously kill the enemy's harvester) also has the additional income of the silo. It creates a snowball effect that is detrimental to balance out uneven teams.

Tbh, I prefer invisible walls over "soldier, you are leaving the mission area and hence will be shot to death within x seconds. And hence your eyesight is on a decline"-messages of other modern titles.

A lot o people complained about it being hard to hit targets in this game. I found this thread over at the official forums, haven'T had time to check it out, but I wouldn't be surprised if following these tips makes aiminig easier:

Since unreal 3 has mouse smoothing and acceleration enabled by default(god knows why) and the lack of any ingame options to change that atm, the only way to turn it off is to go into UDKinput and change the following to false:

RenagedeX/UDKgame/Config/UDKinput.ini

bEnableMouseSmoothing=FALSE
    bViewAccelerationEnabled=FALSE

It should stop or at least lessen the effects.

Statements from devs concerning airstrikes is working on them is a priority, both in changing how they deal damage (you can't hide behind cover to avoid damage if you're in the area) and making the call-in more visible, both so you have time to get out of the area and so the caller is in more danger. Also, making the alert for an incoming strike more pronounced.

I personally haven't really been troubled by them though, when the warning comes in I almost always am quite easily able to react and get the hell out of any area that looks like a particularly juice target at the moment. 700 credits seems like quite a lot to just spam as a one-off that will very possibly hit nothing, unless of course you're making it all back on giant mobs of people who don't know what they're doing.

If there's an issue with silos, I'd suggest it's map design moreso than the silos themselves. In, say, Field... yeah, the team with map control also gets the silo, but then Field is kind of a big disaster anyway. In Mesa, however, I think the silo is great; since it's placed in the one main path that's not accessible by vehicles, it makes for a true secondary objective and not just a "oh, and this was on the way while we were smashing through the lines, might as well take it!"

A team who is pushing the vehicle routes is unlikely to have the manpower to also be holding the silo area as well, so a team on the defensive can still hold down that silo to help make up for not getting much harvester income. Or with Whiteout, it forces a team to commit forces to a much narrower, dangerous chokepoint in order to effectively control it.

Basically, I guess what I'm saying is the silos seem ok to me, but Field is kinda... bad?

Well, Generals is a whole different story than the Tiberium universe. The game is obviously based on the original Renegade which was based on C&C 1: Tiberium Conflict. That didn't have airstrikes, did it? Anyway, airstrikes do too much damage and can be spammed, which makes them very unfun, especially since it is hard to tell when they gonna hit.

Silos do produce credits, but only to the team which conquered them. Consequently, the team that is dominating and has map control anyway (which on most maps means it can continously kill the enemy's harvester) also has the additional income of the silo. It creates a snowball effect that is detrimental to balance out uneven teams.

Tbh, I prefer invisible walls over "soldier, you are leaving the mission area and hence will be shot to death within x seconds. And hence your eyesight is on a decline"-messages of other modern titles.
    Actually, as far as I remember, there were airstrikes. I clearly remember the Groundhog A10s being in the game, and you couldnt control them yourself. Maybe my mind is playing tricks, though.

They also possibly got added in Red Alert?

Also, a CnC shooter based on RA2, with three forces: Soviets, Allied and Yuri would be a huge amount of fun. SIEGE BLIMPS! MIND CONTROLLING TROOPS TO SEND INTO THE SHREDDER
    - Tom De Roeck.

Since unreal 3 has mouse smoothing and acceleration enabled by default(god knows why) and the lack of any ingame options to change that atm, the only way to turn it off is to go into UDKinput and change the following to false:

RenagedeX/UDKgame/Config/UDKinput.ini

bEnableMouseSmoothing=FALSE
    bViewAccelerationEnabled=FALSE

It should stop or at least lessen the effects.
    You can find that on line 8 and line 524, if anyone wants to know.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Obscure Node

C&C95 (Or 1, or Tiberian Dawn) did have airstrikes. However Renegade did not have player controlled airstrikes. It only appeared in the campaign in certain scripted parts.

I don't find the airstrikes to be bad. They help to break the really long sieges that you would find in Renegade and unless you're someone who loves hours to day long marathons like me, you'll probably want the map to end at some point within your play period. It also actually helps a lot on Field.
    Sieges themselves usually can't be broken in public matches because there isn't enough teamwork. Get a bunch of friends on the same team and it could easily change that.

Tiberium weapons are also really good. The Tiberium Flechette Rifle (which is a favourite of mine in Renegade given to the underappreciated character Patch) does amazing damage.
    The placement of the MCT of the Silo in Field does make it more GDI-friendly though.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Also, a CnC shooter based on RA2, with three forces: Soviets, Allied and Yuri would be a huge amount of fun. SIEGE BLIMPS! MIND CONTROLLING TROOPS TO SEND INTO THE SHREDDER
    Its in the works: http://www.bluehellproductions.com/

They also made A Path Beyond, a modern Renegade variant based on Red Alert 1 on the original engine I believe. It was featured some time in 2008/7 on RPS.

Bread?

I played blue hell. dear me, it didnt age well.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Playing Renegade today proves to me, IMO and all that, that a revival of all C&C franchises in the way they used to be, classic gameplay, classic art style, just updated and modernized UI and such, would make sooooooooooooooooooo much cash on PC and even consoles.

But EA is just THAT stupid and won't ever do it.

But I mean.... just how good with RA4 be even if it was just a carbon copy of RA2, but updated just like this Renegade game? Everyone would LOVE it and it would sell oodles!

welllll.... CnC3 and expansion arent that bad, to be honest.

Also, I enjoyed RA3. it carried on the tradition of cartoon Soviets quite well.
    - Tom De Roeck.