Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

[README] Mumble - VOIP for the RPS Community

There is currently a certificate problem that is in the process of being resolved. It does not impact on the working of the server, so please just accept the certificate offered.

Mumble
    is a free, open source, Voice Over IP (VOIP) client similar to TeamSpeak/Ventrilo/Roger Wilco and the like that allows you to talk to other players during games. It's stable and has an overlay that works well for most games - although 64bit is a bit patchy right now (NB: download version 1.30 on the beta tree for PlanetSide 2).

Server: mumble.rockpapershotgun.com
    Port: 64738 (default, can leave blank)

The server is set up for 1024 players and is never turned off. It may go down briefly for upgrades, but these will be scheduled to take place in off-peak hours.

There are pre-existing channels for popular games in the RPS community, but if you want to play something else then you can use one of the Lobby channels, or create a temporary named channel once you are registered. Simply right click on the list and you'll be able to add one in, and you can even password it. Note, it will disappear if empty.

If the game is being regularly played, contact one of the administration team to see if a permanent channel can be made. If you are part of a regular group of players we can also discuss administration for your game area.

FAQ

• Q: Do I have to use push to talk?
    • A: Please use push to talk. Yes, it can be annoying having to press a button, but it’s better than having to listen to constant heavy breathing! Be considerate of other users!

• Q: I can't create a temporary channel? It's greyed out :(
    • A: You need to register with the server (it takes seconds). Right click anywhere and select the Register option.

• Q: Someone is being annoying!
    • A: Right click on them, select ‘local mute’. If they’re being truly offensive/abusive, find an admin or game team moderator.

• Q: How do I find an Admin?
    • A: Game team moderators are listed in the channel for each game. Hover your mouse over the channel name. Any game team moderator will be able to help, even from a different game.

• Q: I want to hear one person but not the rest of this rabble!
    • A: Select said person, right click, pick ‘priority speaker’. Useful for group leaders, but note that this is a local setting. You can't currently prioritise speakers for others, even when you're an admin!

• Q: It won't let me connect!
    • A: You need to be running a version of Mumble that supports the Opus codec. Please update your software to the newest version. If that doesn't work, please PM me and we'll try and work it out.

• Q: There’s no room / too few subchannels for the game I want to play!
    • A: All users should be able to make temporary channels by right clicking an existing channel (e.g. games) and then going to “Add”.

• Q: How do I create/use a passworded room?
    • A: When creating a room there will be an option to specify a password. If a room is created with a password specified, you need to go to Server->Access Tokens, then add the password. You’ll then be able to access the room.

Installation & Connection Guide
    If you have Mumble installed click this link. If not:

• Download Mumble.
    • Run the Mumble installer executable.
      • Follow the prompts. You do not need the server components installed.
      • Create a certificate when asked (painless, works instead of passwords).

• Please SET UP PUSH TO TALK.
    • Select the Server menu, and then Connect. This opens a list of servers.
    • Hit the Add New... button in the bottom right
    • The Label is whatever you want to call the server, I'd suggest "RPS".
    • Address is mumble.rockpapershotgun.com
    • Port is 64738, or leave it blank.
    • Username is your choice (keep it clean!), but it will be permanent.

• Click OK.
    • Attempt to connect to the server by double clicking on your new RPS entry. You'll always be able to find the server easily through your favourites (Server->Connect or Ctrl+o).
    Last edited by Cei; 07-04-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Admin Team
    Cei (SysAdmin, able to upgrade & restart server, full access)
    Grumpy (Admin)
    Krathor (Admin)

Game Teams
    NB: Game teams have global moderation rights, so can kick/ban/mute in any channel, not just their game area

DOTA
    Guild Wars 2
    ​Krathor, MonkeyMonster, Tweetiti, Vlupius
    Construction & Sandbox (Minecraft/Starbound/Starmade/Space & Medieval Engineers)
    BasicPaul
    Paradox
    Calamity
    Pen & Paper
    Laldy
    PlanetSide 2
    RPS - Cei, Grumpy, CMaster, cephas, Laldy
    RTRS - boffinboots
    World of Warcraft
    Dewi

Last edited by Cei; 04-05-2015 at 11:58 AM.

Reserved for even more things

Bookmarked

Who is running and paying for the server and how do we contribute?
    Planetside 2 Characters [TR]Challenger2uk [VS]Challenger1uk [NC]Challenger0uk
    GTA Online Steam Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger2uk View Post
    Bookmarked

Who is running and paying for the server and how do we contribute?
    I'm running the server and will act as the main contact. Payment is done by RPS themselves, so no donations are needed :)
    Last edited by Cei; 20-02-2015 at 06:51 PM.

This is a great initiative and thanks to Cei for sorting it, along with the main RPS site for their patronage.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

This is great news. I like Mumble and I'm glad a solution was found that took pressure off Nullkigan, the old admin. He did a great job and it must have been stressful when the old server went down.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    May I just say: woo! And thanks to Nulk for your years of amazing service providing VOIP to the RPS community.

Quote Originally Posted by Cei View Post
    Admin Team
    Cei (SysAdmin, able to upgrade & restart server, full access)
    Grumpy (Admin)
    Krathor (Admin)

Game Teams
    NB: Game teams have global moderation rights, so can kick/ban/mute in any channel, not just their game area

DOTA
    Guild Wars 2
    ​Krathor
    Minecraft
    BasicPaul
    Paradox
    Calamity
    PlanetSide 2
    RPS - Cei, Grumpy
    RTRS - boffinboots
    World of Warcraft
    Dewi

So in a Tribes Ascend game I was locally muted (rather than the individual with the problem mute me on his client) which then followed to another channel.

Boffinboots had admin within that channel and not just the PS2 one. Clearly there is an issue with the admin rights on the server. Also if your instant reaction is for one of your admins to abuse their power without a warning when lift music is played for 10 seconds whilst we were waiting for the sever to be started (which in turn made three of us leave your channel and your game because of the abuse) then it's not going to go well when trash talk starts or someone disagrees with someone else.

Please monitor admins and have a rule set for them also. Otherwise you may find others fail to use your mumble. Nulligan was alot more tolerant and understood humour and sarcasm.
    "Good design is as little design as possible."
    - some German motherfu*ker

Felix,

As the section you quoted says, the game team admins have global moderation (kick, ban, mute) abilities, and boffinboots selected the global mute rather than local or clientside. In this case, I'm going to talk to boffin and all future moderators to ensure that this doesn't happen again, and that they need to be careful to select the correct option. If this proves to be a long term problem, I'll simply remove the global moderation abilities and we'll have to resort to the simple fact of only myself and one or two others being able to moderate anything.

Personally, I didn't have a problem with the lift music. I didn't notice what happened because unfortunately I'm not running dual monitors so my Mumble client was hidden behind Tribes and so didn't see the messages until the next time I alt-tabbed out.

So, apologies that this happened, it'll be sorted.

No worries, thank you very much for responding in here and finding me in Mumble (much appreciated!)

If it was an accident then no hard feelings.

Cheers.
    "Good design is as little design as possible."
    - some German motherfu*ker

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    A mod here needs to edit this thread:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...-other-readers

To simply be a link to this thread now.

The above thread is linked to from all over the place, including a fair few RPS front page posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix_Bisto View Post
    So in a Tribes Ascend game I was locally muted (rather than the individual with the problem mute me on his client) which then followed to another channel.

Boffinboots had admin within that channel and not just the PS2 one. Clearly there is an issue with the admin rights on the server. Also if your instant reaction is for one of your admins to abuse their power without a warning when lift music is played for 10 seconds whilst we were waiting for the sever to be started (which in turn made three of us leave your channel and your game because of the abuse) then it's not going to go well when trash talk starts or someone disagrees with someone else.

Please monitor admins and have a rule set for them also. Otherwise you may find others fail to use your mumble. Nulligan was alot more tolerant and understood humour and sarcasm.
    Hello! Sorry about that. I clicked the wrong button, had intended to locally mute you on my client. No abuse intended, just me being an idiot. I guess well done us for exposing potential problems with the admin settings?
    Last edited by Boffinboots; 22-02-2015 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    A mod here needs to edit this thread:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...-other-readers

To simply be a link to this thread now.

The above thread is linked to from all over the place, including a fair few RPS front page posts.
    Point taken. Edited the OP in that thread to make it clearer folks should be using the new one shortly.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Will the GW2 community still be using the server we have now, or are we also migrating over to this one?
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I would like to see your mod bits.

Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    Will the GW2 community still be using the server we have now, or are we also migrating over to this one?
    I believe you're migrating over to this one. You have channels all set up and ready to go.

Aye, there is no reason to rush a move over from the regular GW2 one at the moment, but I feel that this new Mumble is better suited to our needs - especially as the folks who own the current GW2 don't still play the game.
    Guild Wars 2:

When I join the server it puts me in the channel I was last on, how do I make it so when I join it starts me on the first channel like when you first entered the server?
    Planetside 2 Characters [TR]Challenger2uk [VS]Challenger1uk [NC]Challenger0uk
    GTA Online Steam Twitter

That's server side and if changed impacts everybody if changed. I'll have a think about altering it, and doing so needs a restart so would be done at a quiet time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Challenger2uk View Post
    When I join the server it puts me in the channel I was last on, how do I make it so when I join it starts me on the first channel like when you first entered the server?
    Are you registered? I think it does that if you are.