Lesser Hivemind Node

So...Smite...Any Thoughts?

After considering trying out a MOBA, I have begun thinking of Smite. The action-game camera would, I think, make things far more engaging. Also, the game supports controllers natively. For a person whose tendonitis is currently preventing him from even using a mouse for more than a few seconds at a stretch, and for whom typing even this much is uncomfortable at best, I find that appealing.

So...any thoughts on the game? Has anyone tried it? Pay to win, or no? Just thought I would pop in and ask.

Thanks either way.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    It's shit.

10char

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Eh, me and a bunch of friends started playing it a few days ago, and it's ok.
    Nothing special, but fun with friends and the TPS-style camera does give it a different feeling from other MOBAs.

Doesn't feel Pay2Win, though it does use the same character unlock system LoL uses (a few starter gods, rotation of free gods, if you want to unlock more forever, play a lot or pay); you can't buy anything (AFAIK) that will actually give you any kind of ingame advantage.

Besides that, all I can say is try it for yourself, it's free, you wouldn't be losing anything (other than your time, of course).

I played this a while back when it was in a very early stage of beta and had mixed feelings (although very early stages so I think a lot might have been changed). For reference, my experience with MOBAs had been quite a bit of time spent on LoL and SMNC and for my friend who introduced me to the game, it was his first MOBA.

Overall, it is a very fun game. If you are new to the genre then I would very highly recommend trying it out as it takes a lot of the simplified and easy to get to grips with ideas of LoL and makes a completely different feeling game from it. For example, you still have the "teleport to base" option and each particular creep in the jungle gives you a certain boost to a particular stat which are elements introduced by LoL to make the game more welcoming to newcomers. Also the shop works very similarly and is easy to understand and use.

However there are a few key differences that make it stand out from LoL. Obviously, the third person angle makes it feel a lot more involving and more like MMO combat (fortunately, think Guild Wars 2 more than WoW). Every shot, including your base attack, is a skill shot which means it is possible to miss and even screw up your own team with your spells but heroes seem to get a much higher mana pool than in other MOBAs, to cast more of these spells to balance this.

I particularly like the fact a creep dying in Smite gives all enemy heroes in the area extra gold and not just the hero who got the last hit. This takes a lot of pressure off learning a dumb mechanic that really doesn't add much to the game (see also SMNC that had creeps drop gold to be picked up by the first hero who goes over it, not just the one who got the kill). The third person view also adds a lot of strategy to the game as unlike DOTA or LoL, you can not see what it coming behind you making it a lot easier to be ganked. This means you need to be turning round to watch your back but you move at a much slower speed when walking backwards so it adds an interesting element.

However, for the bad, and this is my impressions from early beta so I am sorry if they are no longer valid, the game can be hugely imbalanced. Some heroes are ridiculously overpowered, for example, I quit playing when they released Dionysus (I think), he was the Roman god of festivity but he was a crazy tank and could quite easily stop anyone from escaping a gank and do ridiculous damage as well. No doubt, he has been nerfed now, but wow, they do need to think a bit about these things before implementing them (I remember the same problem happened with Tribes: Ascend with some guns for the Raider being stupidly OP). Also the textures can look horrible especially the sky box which looks like it has come straight out of some open world indie game.

In summary then, if it is your first MOBA, I can highly recommend Smite, especially if you think you would prefer the third person view. It borrows a lot from LoL but has it's own little twists on combat that makes for a very engaging and interesting experience. You will certainly find lots of enjoyment in it before you start to crave a little more depth and get introduced to DOTA, then your life will be totally consumed.

As for me personally, I am going to wait for the full release then give it another try. I really hope they fix the balancing issues and improve the textures in the release because it does stand to be quite an addictive game. They also really need to get away from this business model of hero rotation, it is stupid and takes away so much flexibility and structure in the team planning stage with such arbitrary restrictions, DOTA is a much better game by far in this regard. Stick to selling cosmetic items only please, not the champions.
    Last edited by Skull; 24-10-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Network Hub
    I've played it, and it's pretty entertaining for awhile. There are some serious balance issues, especially because there are multiple game modes and they don't seem to balance each god for each mode. But some gods are just straight up OP.

Another big complaint I have is that you can get wiped out by a single (OP) enemy god within about a second from full health. There's just no way to react and so few interesting choices to be made during a match compared to the other MOBAs. There is very little depth in the items and game layout.

But it looks really good, feels pretty good, and is very easy to get into. There are some short modes, which is great. The community seems a bit better than most mobas so far, but that may just be because I'm still playing with noobs. It has no voice chat, which I hate but some people may appreciate.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So do you auto attack or do you have a button or swing or fire a range basic attack?

How is it compared to Forge, which is a online PvP MMO combat style arena game?

Are the abilities unique or more copy of DOTA/LoL? LoL at first suffered from a mix and match of DOTA All-Star champion abilities but has come out of that shell awhile ago with more unique skills.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    You left click to attack. No autoattack, though you can just keep the mouse button pressed to constantly autoattack.
    Melee heroes require the enemy to be within striking range and they have to be properly facing the enemy, ranged heroes shoot an arrow/magical thingamajig which they need to aim in order to land a hit, only have to aim horizontally though, so there's no bunny hopping of any kind.
    Limited range, though; only a couple ultimates can fire shots that go across the map.

The abilities are for the most part nothing special; most of them have been seen on other MOBAs, but many of them have been a little bit tweaked to adapt them to the TPS-style gameplay.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like an interesting time. I might just give it a try here soon. The third person, action oriented view seems cool. Prefer that over the top down sort of aspect.