Lesser Hivemind Node

I always wanted you to go into Space, Engineers

So Space Engineers has hit steam early access. Anyone on the inside? It looks very interesting, I've had my eye on it for a while. Basically you go around and build up a space ship using blocks, then fly it around, all from a first person/third person view.

The devs are not talking about the road map atm, they are looking at what they have in now, and improving it. I have Rawbots, and while I love the idea of it, I find it clunky(haven't played in months) and I'm not interested in another clunky build something. Kerbal is great, but I want to potter around and build up a ship, and then fly and potter some more.

Its on Steam here - http://store.steampowered.com/app/244850/

Before anyone posts, yes I know threads are disappearing from the steam forums, from what I can gathered most of them are threads talking about threads being deleted or threads complaining about the devs last game Miner Wars 2081. This isn't the thread to talk about that. Lets just talk about the game as it is now.

The devs are Keen Software House, their last game was Miner Wars 2081, while had promise didn't work out well at all. Planned features never came, bugs stay after beta. The big problem is the dev said he wanted to do sandbox along with campaign, and sandbox never came which could be why they are not talking about the road map. It was a solo effort that morphed into a team so feature loss happens imo.

So do we have any intergalactic thinkerers here?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I really love everything I can see. Only one thing stop me at the moment, and is that the alpha seems a singleplayer (???I am right here???) thing. I like this type of game more wen you play in a multiplayer world.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    I really love everything I can see. Only one thing stop me at the moment, and is that the alpha seems a singleplayer (???I am right here???) thing. I like this type of game more wen you play in a multiplayer world.
    Yeah, it says singleplayer only atm. All they say about multiplayer is its not in yet. Implies they want it in, but who knows when

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Can I replicate Gravity in this game?
    This is the test by which I judge all space games from now forth.

Network Hub
    These devs were selling pre-orders for a Miner Wars MMO a while ago and then stopped developing it and refused to refund those of pre-ordered it... I'd think twice before supporting them

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmmm. I can't comment on past actions. The only reason I got this is for it's current state, as per any pay for Alpha. :/
    Got burned on Blockade Runner when it was not the game I was expecting. SM misses a lot of functional qualities IMO. Thus the physics in this game (though gamey, and not "simulation") meet what I like.
    A little preview of what the building is like in game. Most features are placeholders and not functional, so it's creative only right now.

If you check out other videos, or the second one I did, you can see craft crashing too.

Again, really cannot comment on past games from this developer, or their past actions. If they are like EA etc, then I'll give a big hmmmph, and hope they change. If not, well, not much I can do about it. :(

PS, if you, rightly so, feel it's wrong what the developers did, sit back and see what happens. If they continue to under deliver and over promise, then we can say they have not changed. If this engine is used for the MMO (as in, it's got crafting, adding MP etc, where MW did not), then we can see it's a progression, slow granted, but progression none the less.
    Last edited by TechnicalBen; 25-10-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Network Hub
    Irrelevant to future achievements of this game I could say something for it's present state: it's an a lot more sincere and decent start point than 200$-here's-your-ship-you-can't-play-star-citizen milking pot. They might be universes apart, in terms of budgets, marketing, whatever, but somehow I could see my money going here rather than into bling.

Edit: btw, are you familiar with Orbiter ?
    Last edited by tadada; 25-10-2013 at 01:37 AM.

Might be cool. I backed Miner Wars but I haven't got around to playing it yet. Nice to see the voxel formula applied to something with a bit more gameplay and physics (well, potentially)