Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I think Gravity is the only movie I've seen in theaters this year. It was a disappointment.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    Did anyone watch Sharknado? I'm not sure if this is mostly a East Coast thing or not.

I haven't seen it. But I found it funny that people have started to go see movies specifically because they were shit hahaha.

Apparently it is a good kind of crap that you can have fun looking at for it's crappiness. So maybe it's not disappointing...

But yea I want to know if anyone saw that...
    There's an entire thread dedicated to the awesomeness that is Sharknado. As you might have guessed, I loved it as I am quite a fan of bad movies.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    ^It isn't that hard. Just don't watch blockbusters, action movies, comedies and movies based on "bestselling book series", although you can miss some decent stuff that way.
    I once went to cinema with friends to watch John Carter. I was excepting shitty movie but I was surprised - it was watchable and not that bad.
    Pretty much this. I can very easily guess which films are bad or likely to be bad. But, just as you said, one might get surprised, so it's good to not get overboard with caution and occasionally give them a chance.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yeah Blockbusters have become a bit boring, only ones that are any good are really Marvel ones since Iron Man 3 was actually pretty damn good. Becoming more and more searching for the indie films that put characters over giant flashy effects.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Yeah Blockbusters have become a bit boring, only ones that are any good are really Marvel ones since Iron Man 3 was actually pretty damn good. Becoming more and more searching for the indie films that put characters over giant flashy effects.
    I actually thought the opposite. After a few years of mostly uninspiring blockbusters, I thought this year had a pretty good crop. It felt like technology had finally caught up with what directors had been trying to do.

I'd now also like to repeat my RAGE! about films getting delayed in japan. All the summer blockbusters got delayed until the end of september, so I couldn't catch them all at once. Gravity isn't out yet.
    And I've just discovered that Desolation of Smaug isn't out until frickin february!!!!!
    The hobbit isn't as good as lotr, but it's always been a nice christmassy thing for me.

Ender's Game is delayed until next year too. I've no idea if it's good, but I loved the book. I can't even watch something dumb like Thor until next year... arglbhfgrrkgnh.

Obscure Node
    I bought into the whole Man of Steel hype and was so let down by it. The trailers looked so great, and then the movie just completely under delivered, all city-biffing and terrible scripting (seriously, Pa Kent's death was just ridiculous, and the whole Lois Lane romance subplot was among the most unconvincing I've ever seen in a movie) - real shame.

Also, surprised no-one else has mentioned Elysium. I loved District 9 and was super excited about Blomkamp's followup, but god it was just so ham-fisted and unsubtle in its delivery and message (all rich people are bad, you guys! They're just hoarding all the wealth and healthcare to be dicks to everyone else! Literally, there's no other reason given in the movie why...). Plus the characters were all one note cliches and completely uninteresting, which hardly helped matters.

Activated Node
    I am absolutely boggled to discover that there are people who didn't like Pacific Rim. I have never left a movie theater happier than I was after watching that film.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by NNRR View Post
    I bought into the whole Man of Steel hype
    What, why?! Didn't you know that Snyder was the director?
    Last edited by Shane; 12-11-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Man of Steel was such a loud angry film. Went to see it with my dad and by the time we left the cinema we felt shellshocked, and had tinnitus. Completely lacking the fun and cheesiness Superman requires, very unpleasant.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    [/quote]What, why?! Didn't you know that Snyder was the director?[/quote]

Snyder though hasn't really been a bad director even 300 his weakest film wasn't that bad and worked in an action stylised conflict.

Completely lacking the fun and cheesiness Superman requires, very unpleasant.

Thats because all the people who hate Superman would say why is he fun and cheesy i want him to be dark and serious and punch dudes would of had a field day if it was fun and cheesy...

Activated Node
    tormos I am absolutely boggled to discover that there are people who didn't like Pacific Rim. I have never left a movie theater happier than I was after watching that film.
    I think it is because it was a spectacle. It looked amazing, and it hands down toppled Transformers from its over-hyped pedastel. But Del Toro can do so much better. I'm a fan of the Hellboy movies for the style and characters. And I loved his other work (although I thought Chronos was weak, it still did the whole story differently), Devil's Backbone being my all time fave.But Pacific Rim didn't do anything different. It was bots fighting monsters. Thats it. I was waiting for a massive big twist or reveal that would make me go "oooooo shit!" But it didn't. And the characters (apart from Idris) were all boring! The "love" story was dire.I was hoping for more, thats why I was dissappointed. But it did look amazing.

Network Hub
    Pacific Rim could have been better - but I wouldn't say it was a disappointment . I haven't had as much fun at the cinema since... well, actually Worlds End was alot of fun. But pacific rim made me go YES out loud which I have never ever done.

My biggest cinematic disappointment is clearly Man of Steel.

Obscure Node
    Unlike some others , I really liked man of steel. The biggest disappointment by far was Pacific Rim. I mean...it wasnt bad but I expected so much more. Also Elysium was also a real big disappointment.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Money View Post
    Also Elysium was also a real big disappointment.
    This one really is, but one reason is this movie is over-hyped too much. I can't help but expect so much it fails to deliver.

The med-bay...... is it a 3D printing technology? I heard there are all serious medical scientific researches (in real world) of 3D printing technology in all North America, Europe and Japan.

And storing digital data in cyberbrain...... this should only be used in the Ghost in the Shell series. Others shouldn't copy this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    And storing digital data in cyberbrain...... this should only be used in the Ghost in the Shell series. Others shouldn't copy this.
    We're reasonably close to being able to do this in reality, though o_O
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Ghost in the Shell may have copied it from Johnny Mnemonic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I wasn't really disappointed with elysium. I expected a matt damon action film with some nice visuals from Blomkamp. It's exactly what I got. The only disappointment I could say I had was that I was always hoping for more Sharlto Copley, who was the only actor I was actually interested in seeing perform - and whilst I do wish there was more of him in the film, It was just good to see him in another role, and so far removed from his character in district 9.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Actually Ghost in the Shell started out as a manga in 1980s, back then there still exists a great national Soviet Union and there is really no expectation it would collapse just within a decade (of course, strictly speaking it's just a fall of regime of Russia, not of the nation Russia itself), so in that manga (with some very pervert contents, which are all removed in all animation adaptations) Russia was still referred to as USSR, while in animation (TV series Standalone Complex) Russia was referred to as new Russia (there was an episode in which an aged-60 Russia woman spy being abandoned by its own government). It's way before the movie Johnny Mnemonic. But of course Mr. Masamune Snow might really have borrowed this concept of storing digital data in organic (at least partially) brain from somewhere else, but I don't know where.

And Ghost in the Shell manga is actually quite a comedy, not like the mystery-themed movies directed by Mr. Mamoru Oshii.

And it's interesting about this tech. And for digital data, now our computers are dealing with binary data, maybe a decade later we are not? Maybe by then there will be a new low-level computer language readable by human brain?

Anyway I still think Elysium by itself is still a great movie. It's just that producer has promised too much it fails to deliver, that's all. But it seems somewhat targeting us as the audience. I mean look at that first gun-fight by Matt Damon in his exoskeleton. When he moved in to apprehend the poor William Fichtner (poor Fichtner, always playing supporting character), I immediately associate the scene to...... Gears of War.
    Last edited by squirrel; 17-11-2013 at 03:58 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Johnny Mnemonic (and many similar ideas) were mainly based on William Gibson books. Neuromancer being the most famous, and responsible for a lot of cyberpunk genre tropes.
    (with some very pervert contents, which are all removed in all animation adaptations)
    It's japanese, that goes without saying. Has anyone seen the new Ghost in the Shell movie yet?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Actually Ghost in the Shell started out as a manga in 1980s, back then there still exists a great national Soviet Union and there is really no expectation it would collapse just within a decade (of course, strictly speaking it's just a fall of regime of Russia, not of the nation Russia itself), so in that manga (with some very pervert contents, which are all removed in all animation adaptations) Russia was still referred to as USSR, while in animation (TV series Standalone Complex) Russia was referred to as new Russia (there was an episode in which an aged-60 Russia woman spy being abandoned by its own government). It's way before the movie Johnny Mnemonic.
    yes, before the movie, but the short story the movie is based on was first published in 1981. As far as I can tell, Ghost in the Shell started in 1989.

Anyway, I didn't think Elysium was disappointing either, but I didn't have many expectations. What mainly let it down was that many of the characters (especially the evil ones) were overly two dimensional.