Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

Games similar to Dawn of War 2?

We'll I finally met with my gaming rig for one month full of passion and weird stuff. I've played a lot of stuff (Portal 2, Dominions 3 <33, Bad Bulletstorm, Witcher 2, Zelda on emulator...) but the one I liked the most is Dawn of War 2. The mix of hero defense sub-genre with rts squad tactics was just perfect and what I longed for a long time. Played through the hole Chaos Rising campaign in two afternoons full of waaaargh and loot, and now I'm back to the olde netbook so...closest substitute game, mod or map?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE
    Last edited by pakoito; 26-08-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I dunno if anybody makes a THQ-style RTS other than THQ.

To me, the closest thing to CoH/DoW is Men of War, but it doesn't have that "hero" character. Warcraft 3 comes after, but it doesn't have the squad tactics.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

World in Conflict, but again no heroes.

Activated Node
    Warcraft 3 but it has a lot of traditional RTS stuff as well, still comes down to more micro than anything and heroes.

Ok, I just know what's good for you.

Dawn of War 2: Retribution.

No, don't thank me.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/soldi...f_world_war_ii

This maybe? Haven't played it, so no idea if it's any good.

Quote Originally Posted by BathroomCitizen View Post
    Ok, I just know what's good for you.

Dawn of War 2: Retribution.

No, don't thank me.
    My netbook can't play it, if only...

Ah, sorry, I did miss the last part in your opening post.

edit: Land Squid's post made me check GoG.com if there were some cool strategic hero-based games that I recall. One of my favourites is Warlords Battlecry 3, which it has even a nice inventory system for the heroes. But it's not a tactical game. It's an RTS with classic base-building mechanics.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/warlords_battlecry_3
    Last edited by BathroomCitizen; 26-08-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jquinn914 View Post
    Warcraft 3 but it has a lot of traditional RTS stuff as well, still comes down to more micro than anything and heroes.
    Which maps?

Obscure Node
    You're aware that DOW2 is heavily influenced by Company of heroes right (and COH in turn was influenced by DOW1)? You really should give the COH games & expansions a shot if you liked DOW.
    The setting may be different but the core mechanics are the same although you don't have as influential hero units. There are some missions with tank aces and such but otherwise it's squad focused and a lot more importance is placed on using cover and general unit positioning.
    Last edited by simonp; 27-08-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    I'm going to tentatively suggest the Spellforce games. They have an RPG-esque progression for your heroes, inventory included, but there's some RTS elements involved, too. I'd say it plays closer to DoW2 multiplayer than DoW2 itself, but it's still worth a look.

Just don't buy it from Steam, or even Gog. If you're in the UK, you can get the Spellforce Universe boxset (Which is complete, at least for now) for about 5-10 if you look, and it has Spellforce Platinum and Spellforce 2 Gold in it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    How about Sacrifice? Okay, it's a completely different game, but it has the hero units and control point type of gameplay. It is also ace.

Company of Heroes is a good call if you like Dawn of War, but remember it is a very different game. I personally think there is much more going on with it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, the obvious first point of call is the previous game by Relic, Company of Heroes. Probably not netbook friendly though.

Err, how about the old Freedom Force games?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, if you haven't tried Company of Heroes you should. It's compulsory for all RTS fans, especially if you already have a fondness for Relic's stuff. I play DoW2 multi, but I always do so with the knowledge that I'm there for the fluff and colour, and that really CoH is the better game.

How about Universe at War? That has tons of colour and variety and some really great unit design. The alien invaders race in particular- their building are customisable screen filling walkers loaded down with really big guns, and their harvester units stomp around disintegrating cars and cows and people. It's not the best RTS in the world, but it is a lot if fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Squid View Post
    http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/soldi...f_world_war_ii

This maybe? Haven't played it, so no idea if it's any good.
    It absolutely is.