Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rock Planetary annihilationS - the official PA club

Like Planetary Annihilation? Played the beta? let us know how you like it, and maybe even play alongside other RPSers!

This will be the thread to organise the RPS clan/corp/outfit/whatever!
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

It was the project that made me register a kickstarter account. However I only backed at the "game on release" tier so I still haven't played it. Judging by dev streams and narrated MP games it's shaping up pretty well.

Obscure Node
    Thanks QuantaCat for starting the thread

I backed the Kickstarter, but also went for the cheap-o tier that didn't give me beta access. I've been drooling over the multiplayer vids on youtube and cannot wait for some planet smashing. It sounds like support for teams/guilds is being built into the ranking/matching system on UberNet, so hopefully that will work out well.

Does anyone know if this is the first RTS that uses globes rather than 2D maps? It seems like the added challenge of keeping up with stuff on the other side of the planet (and other planets!) can get pretty crazy.

its not the first. Though definitions of RTS may vary.

Populous 3 was famously using globes. as was black & white, I believe.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Obscure Node
    I bought the game a few weeks ago, only played one match. Seems like it has promise. Needs more epic explosions though.

Obscure Node
    My memory of black & white is a little hazy, but I don't remember it being a globe. In either case, that didn't factor heavily into the gameplay/strategy (at least for me - I just spent hours teaching my creature to fight). Certainly will be a departure from the C&C/AOE/Starcraft archetypes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Have been playing since Alpha. Very promissing game. Although I haven't really gotten into it (just some rounds vs AI) as my PC is not fast enough for this game. I need an upgrade soon.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Do you guys recommend picking this up for a newbie Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander player?

Or do you recommend waiting when the price drops to say $20 or $30 or a Steam sale?

Wondering what kind of state the game is in. I am interested, but I don't want to drop $60 on a game I'm not sure how much is finished. Or I will be sure to like.

I do play RTS games regularly, and ARTS.... e.g. War3, SC2, Dota2. So just wondering how I should be looking at PA.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I'd wait, and in the meantime pick up SupCom or TA. The logistics of navigating a sphere alone make PA more complex.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Network Hub
    I wouldn't recommend this just yet for those who want a properly playable game yet as there is still a great deal of work left to do on it, not least in optimising the performance with more than a couple of planets in a system. As others have mentioned though, it is showing a great deal of promise, even at this stage.

OK sounds good, was just wondering where it's at. I'll definitely wait.

I have SupCom and Supcom FA on Steam, so I'll just dick around with those in the meantime :)

Fair shout. Are you in the steam supcom group? Would be cool to get a multiplayer game going at some point
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate

Is there a RPS SupCom group? I can't find it if there is lol.

Nvm, I found it: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RockPaperSupCom

:)

Edit:

How is the interface in PA?

I tried to play some SupCom today on my own, I found the interface kind of difficult. Maybe because it got very small at 1080p...

Is the interface a bit more friendly in PA?

I feel like SupCom is a bit unwieldy for me now. I used to have a lot of fun with it way back when, but I Think I've forgotten a lot how to play lol.

Is it a bit easier to manage units and build in PA? Maybe I just don't understand the build orders enough anymore, but it just felt really "primitive" for lack of a better word. Like a lot of interface niggles that made it hard to play for me. At least I remembered to drag buildings to build multiple ones :)

Some examples: selecting more than one type of building unit only showed the available things being built from one of those units, and it was really hard to tell which units and buildings were being upgraded if I needed to cancel them to save on resources and stuff.

Are some of these things more intuitive and easier to grasp in PA? Like through visual indicators or something else?

From watching videos I feel like some of the bases are smaller and more manageable, which would be good for me at least, is that the impression you guys get from playing???

Also I'm not sure if it was just my CPU couldn't handle it... but the gamespeed increases wouldn't maintain by the middle of the match so the match I played (2 v 2 with CPUs) started getting really boring... lol.
    Last edited by rockman29; 28-10-2013 at 09:32 PM.

The bases are much smaller yes, but I'm hoping the interface is incomplete because the buildings manager feels like it can only accomodate about a dozen types in total, and locating my construction bots/whatevers is ridiculously difficult for some reason, to the point that I usually just build a new one.

As for SupCom... you playing FA or just vanilla? 'Cos the vanilla UI is atrocious. And no, your CPU won't be able to handle it, I don't think there's a single CPU in the world that can. The game's simulation only runs on a single thread.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate

Damn, I was worried that was going to be the problem haha.

Does Planetary Annihilation use multiple threads? Does it keep scaling to use many threads or is it fixed at 2 or 4 or 8 or something? Is there a problem with gamespeed in that way at all with PA?

I was playing SupCom FA... I dunno, I feel like I've had better experiences in the past with the game, or it might just be my rose tinted nostalgia goggles...

I hope PA has a good interface going forward.

I don't mean to invite comparisons, but I feel that Blizzard games have impeccable interfaces. And I'm not saying it's easy or even possible to have a super responsive interface in PA.

But if PA could have such a responsive interface such as in say War3 or SC2... I think it could make that game a lot more palatable to more people... I feel like I would enjoy the game a lot more with an amazeballs interface rather than an OK or good interface.

Heh, I'm the opposite, I really don't like Blizzard UIs. They always feel so bloated. Especially since they all have massive character portraits.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate

Well not in that sense, but at least in the sense that icons are easy to follow and such, and units are easy to identify.

Like close to intangible stuff like that, where it's just makes a good experience easy and fun and just great overall.

Sort of just having the sense I'm not fighting the UI, but taking control of it, that kind of sense.

The UI can have any of it's own unique characteristics, I'm not trying to draw a direct comparison at all.

Ah right. I've never had any issues with unit identification in SupCom.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate

Obscure Node
    Looks like all kickstarter backers for PA will be getting beta access keys over the next couple of days - HOORAY.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/y...backers.53885/

Huzzah. Is there LAN multiplayer, and more importantly, is steam necessary or is it DRM free?
    - Tom De Roeck.