Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar

The Rock Paper Scotland Thread

Right, yes, let's try this again, shall we? I started a thread in the old forums just before they closed down, and never got round to putting one in the new forums. So that is a thing. This should rectify that.

We have a Steam group although we haven't done much with it. But if you want in on that, then befriend me. Maybe also send me a message saying you want into Rock Paper Scotland, as up to now I've been using my powers of investigation to check whether people who friend me on Steam are related to some other RPS group and list somewhere Scottish as their location.

So I guess if Scottishers want to arrange anything like meetups and stuff, this is where to do it. Not much has happened so far and that's partly my fault for being so busy, but I only intended to start this thing up. You don't need my permission to organise anything.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    as a new arrival to this bonnie land I would certainly like to be involved in any scottish twinged rps shenanigans, have added you on steam

Any roleplayers in Rock Paper Scotland (particularly in Edinburgh)?

Can I direct you to http://www.orcedinburgh.co.uk/forum/...Responsibility? I think this could be a really interesting event. And help me with my PhD. But I haven't organised it yet; I want some input on how to make it worthwhile for roleplayers and not just academics first.

Hey goose, i have both a bit of experience with rpgs and am an Edinburgh resident, unfortunately that page requires registration to view, ill sign up and take a look tonight, could you give me the gist?

Oh, I didn't realise it requires registration. Boo.

Anyway, my PhD is about trying to bring some dramatic structure to autonomous character actions in interactive digital stories, and I'm thinking of organising some kind of workshop investigating how this can be managed in roleplaying to inform my work. But it would be good if the workshop can be useful to the roleplaying community and not just the academic field of interactive storytelling.

I take it given this thread died at five posts that this never really happened as A Thing? Us Rock Paper Scottishers aren't very good at this.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

We are the bold and the few :)

To be more helpful, I guess RPS'ers in scotland are probably pretty dispersed but I would always be happy to organise a thing if there was an interest, otherwise I am always up for a drink in Edinburgh/Glasgow area and frequently attend nights at the Edinburgh boardgame cafe with people from BGG if anyone is interested in that sort of thing -

http://boardgamegeek.com/guild/993

Well I've never done much/any boardgaming of the sort liable to be done there but something drink-based would definitely be a winner.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Och aye the noo. I'm in Dundee. I'm not much of a boardgamer, but drinks are always good.
    Steampowered. Origin: Simmura

Edinburgh boardgame cafe!? That's a thing that exists?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    Edinburgh boardgame cafe!? That's a thing that exists?
    yeah. it's ok... cheap and as an amazing selection of board games to play. But you mainly have to play in the basement. the air isn't always so pleasant! And it can be tricky to find enough space... the folk playing tabletop tend to take up a lot of space. Still, a neat idea and I hope it does well. The other place to check out is Black Lion: role playing/board game shop. In my experience, everybody who works there is really nice, and they're more than happy for you to wander in, browse, chat for a while, and leave without buying anything.

Aye thats all true, we used to use a pub but got sick of drunk people asking what we were doing, i would add that while it is a basement it is bright and fairly roomy

I'm not really one for board games (don't get me wrong - I read Brother Florance's column with religious fervour). Is there anyone out there who's within traveling distance of Edinburgh, and wants to meet up for a chin-wag? I'm thinking like a book group, but for 'puter games. Is this a crazy idea?

Network Hub
    maybe you could use a better name like:

Rock Paper Haggis

or

Rock paper Braveheart :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo1981 View Post
    maybe you could use a better name like:

Rock Paper Haggis

or

Rock paper Braveheart :)
    Rock Paper Claymore, clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by ross_angus View Post
    I'm thinking like a book group, but for 'puter games. Is this a crazy idea?
    I've never been to any of the meet-o-chats but I'd assume they're all a bit like this. Plus beer, of course.

Hoots mon and aw that shite.

I'm stuck in sunny Perth, having emigrated from The Weeg. I no longer need a translator.

Maybe Rock Paper Shillelagh? Maybe a bit Irish though, the current name is certainly more informative :)

I live centrally in the 'burgh and would certainly be up for a drink and chat.

Yay! to Ian and LowKey's suggestion!

Venue? Alas, that place on Broughton street which did networked gaming is long gone. I've not got Disho(u)nored, but I understand it was inspired by Our Silly Little City. Can anyone who's played it suggest somewhere? I imagine Bannerman's might be a good fit, visually:

http://goo.gl/maps/AAcdN

(perhaps I'm over-thinking this)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Posted this over here, which may not be the best place on reflection - is anyone else going to see Rab, Kieron and Tom Bramwell review Aliens: Colonial Marines before showing Aliens (at the GFT on the 18th of February)?