Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Network Hub DeekyFun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    222

    Generation Games

    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ion-the-top-50

    In light of the above, i'd be interested in hearing some of your games of this generation, across formats.

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,804
    WoW is not of this generation. Just saying.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  3. #3
    Network Hub DeekyFun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    222
    I guess it's a positive sign that even with 50 games on there, there's still a lot of arguably good ones missing.

  4. #4
    Network Hub DeekyFun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    222
    My top 25, roughly in order.

    Red Dead Redemption
    Mass Effect Series
    The Walking Dead
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Uncharted Series
    Bioshock Infinite
    Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
    Zelda: Skyward Sword
    Forza 4
    Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Portal 2
    Civilization V
    The Last of Us
    Fire Emblem: Awakening
    The Witcher 2
    Trials Evolution
    Grand Theft Auto 5
    Borderlands 2
    Fez
    Minecraft
    Ni No Kuni
    Gravity Rush
    Assassin’s Creed 2
    Super Street Fighter 4

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,101
    Dark Souls*
    The Walking Dead
    Minecraft
    GTA5**
    The Last of Us**
    Dark Souls*
    Kentucky Road Zero
    Skyrim***
    Latest iterations of COD****
    Battlefield 3/4**
    Dark Souls*
    Pokemon X/Y
    Bioshock: Infinite
    Dark Souls Dark Souls Dark Souls DarkSoulsDarkSoulsDarkSoulsDarkSoulsDrkSlsDrkSls DAAAAAAARRRK SOUUUUULSSSSSSS*

    Legend:
    * Dark Souls
    ** didn't played, but they sure have impact on whole industry
    *** abysmal piece of gaming turd candy wrapped into shiny-gold foil of pretty landscapes, but same as above
    **** I quite like this series for they over the top gunbro silliness, but Ghosts seems to be like Skyrim, but with PS2-like graphics and ton of bugs and not justified high RAM usage.

    Of course there's many more games but I suck at making these lists, I will always forget to mention some really good games.
    Last edited by GameCat; 06-11-2013 at 04:27 PM.

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK, Derby
    Posts
    1,577
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    Quite a few big name series that deserve to be on that list...

    Not the least of which are games like Witcher 2 and Uncharted 2.

    I'd definitely disagree with a lot on that list, but that's the fun of list making :)
    I played all 3 Uncharted games when I owned a Playstation 3.

    I loved 2 at the time, but I could definitely understand why someone would not think it deserved to be counted as one of the "games of a generation". It's a fairly simple third-person action adventure that just happens to have some astonishing production values, but those don't affect the gameplay or even the sense of immersion, of 'living' a cinematic blockbuster, in any really extraordinary way (once you stop and think about it). And that's on pretty much any level. The visual and the art design are fantastic, but you're still just running through an endless series of mostly linear corridors mowing down hundreds of faceless mooks with no meaningful consequences. The banter is fantastic, but the actual story beneath it is still mostly empty popcorn bluster. The actual mechanical gameplay is beautifully tuned - I am being perfectly honest when I say I preferred Uncharted's gunplay to Gears of War - but it's nothing radically different from countless other games before or since.

    The cracks really showed with how badly Uncharted 3 went off the rails, and they were pretty much blasted wide open when The Last of Us showed how... hollow the whole Uncharted franchise had been all along. If we lurched into bizarro world tomorrow and Sony stuck both those franchises out on PC there's very little chance I'd go back to Uncharted. It was a wild ride while it lasted, and I can see why people would think, looking back, "But it was amazing! Why isn't it on that list?" - I just think the emphasis is far more on 'was' than they're willing to admit.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,917
    Yeah Uncharted is very dull really, also the weird disconnect of the happy go lucky Drake vs mass murder always weirds me out.

    Games of the Generation... so since 2004?
    Bayonetta
    Street Fighter 4 / Marvel Vs Capcom (it's all the same)
    Rock Band 3
    Bioshock(s)
    Deus Ex HR
    Civ 5
    XCOM Enemy Unknown
    Crusader Kings 2
    Victoria 2
    Europa Universalis (3 and 4)
    Team Fortress 2
    Half Life 2
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Portal 2
    Witcher 2
    Phoenix Wright? Can't remember when they came out.
    Advance Wars DS versions
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Super Meat Boy
    Walking Dead
    Batman Arkham X (where X equals some sort of municipal structure)
    Mine Craft
    Red Dead Redemption
    Dishonoured

    Errr really I'm just listing games I like. It's not a very objective system.

    I could probably boil most of that down to Firaxis and Paradox output and still be happy.

  8. #8
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,917
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    Does Cloud not using a Phoenix Down on Aeris also weird you out?

    How many people does James Bond kill in a movie versus in a game?

    Does Tomb Raider (2013) make any sense whatsoever from a survivalist point of view?

    Is Gabe Logan less of a believable anti-terrorism agent, or his story any less believable, due to the fact he massacres an entire army of agents and paramilitary over the course of any Syphon Filter game?

    And the last question is... why does this matter for Uncharted, and not a million other games with the same "problem?"

    There is some separation/dissonance between the gameplay and the storyline the player goes through. That's part of many games.

    I'm not asking you to like Uncharted, but this avenue of criticism is unfair to Uncharted. It is treated as a target for no reason for this aspect, where it is the same thing in almost every action game created.

    a) who is cloud? Don't even know what that's on about.
    b) Only good Bond films are the ones where he only kills a handful of people and then cries in the shower about it. Never played a Bond game.
    c) Never played Tomb Raider
    d) Who?

    The reason it matters in Uncharted in particular is the amount of time spent in cinematic sequences with Nathan Drake and the amount of narrative emphasis they put on him. I can't really speak for any of the rest of those games.

    I also dislike CoD/Killzone for similar reasons.

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,917
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    As long as it is not a unique feeling towards Uncharted, which has been typically the only game labelled with this issue, because it is an easy target (exclusive console game, popular game, with very recognizable character, and of course it does have that element of dissonance).
    It's mostly Uncharted as I got a free copy at work, where I haven't on most other things that are liable to fall for this. I am getting it slightly on Farcry 3 though, but that is at least sort of addressing it, but only sort of.

    When given a choice like in Deus Ex, Thief, Dishonoured I always play through just bonking people on the head to make them sleep.

    EDIT: Oh it also might be because I'd sort of assumed Uncharted would be more Indiana Jones / platformy type of thing before playing it.

  10. #10
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK, Derby
    Posts
    1,577
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    *snip*
    I wouldn't list any Final Fantasy other than perhaps Tactics or XII as any kind of game of a generation, though I can see how someone would pick FF VII over Uncharted - much as I hate FF VII I have to admit there's a strong argument to be made that it changed the landscape of gaming forever. Uncharted did no such thing.

    I know you weren't replying to me but I think you're basically veering off on too much of a tangent to defend your point of view. Unlike Zephro there (I'm guessing) I can definitely overlook ludonarrative dissonance or whatever the current buzzword might be - I get angry when people handwave GTA V's problems away with "Oh, no-one really cares that much about the story anyway". I do. I choose not to run over pedestrians, and then I get frustrated when the story turns out to be just as lacking even when I play along with it. But there's a ton of other stuff to like about other games that have this same problem - GTA IV still has what I consider to be the greatest, most immersive virtual world ever created, packed with countless tiny details you can get lost in to the point I think "Eh, I can live with the stupid story a bit longer, I guess". Uncharted has nothing to stop me thinking "Uh, much as I like these people, what they're doing is kinda shallow and silly and a bit too problematic". Dramatic vistas and shooting people in the head and huge explosions don't compensate for that. They're cool, but I've seen them all before, even if not usually as pretty. I'm not arguing Uncharted 2 shouldn't be a game of the generation because oh dear oh dear shooting people is so dreadfully tiresome and juvenile and why am I even playing this silly thing, I'm saying any number of other violent shooting games handle mixing action and narrative much, much better, and that this is only one of the reasons it doesn't hold up over time.

    And it's not as if the series carried on saying to itself "Oh, who cares, it's just an action game". That's one reason I hated 3, the idea that Naughty Dog themselves explicitly tried to write a story addressing how Drake does a lot of nasty things and kills a lot of people and how that might not be so great, and then they completely screwed it up.

    In this case I can't argue how you feel about these aspects, so I will simply respectfully disagree :)

    In spite of those failings, I would still put it on my top 50 games of the generation (if I spent the time to make one...), because of the achievement it was to make those things, and the experience I felt was worthwhile because of those achievements.
    Yes, I see that. I don't think "People spent a lot of money making this, and it made me go 'Wow!' is a very good reason to call something a game of the generation. I guess that's why Call of Duty keeps selling, though. (Oh, I went there.)

  11. #11
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1
    With context to Eight Rooks, I personally feel that people do spend a lot of money makig this, but then we can also try to eke out some dough by actually playing online games like bingo? There are many folks here http://onlinebingo3.co.uk who claim to have made it big, simply by playing online games!

  12. #12
    Lesser Hivemind Node Henke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    519
    Top 10 of this generation:
    (in this order, restricted PC/X-Box 360 games, and 1 title per series)

    GTA 4
    Dark Souls
    Fallout 3
    Frozen Synapse
    Red Dead Redemption
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Mass Effect
    Far Cry 3
    Trine 2
    Tricky Truck (yes that's right GODDAMN TRICKY TRUCK!)

  13. #13
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    3
    Mass Effect 2*, Red Dead Redemption*, Starcraft 2*, Battlefield 3, CoD MW1*, Borderlands 2, The Witcher 2, Uncharted 2*, Dragon Age 1, FTL*, Bioshock 1*, Batman: Arkham Asylum.

    *Really set the bar for what their respective genres can do. That last mission on ME2 has never been beaten by any action-rpg ever, in my view. Hunting in the snowy forests for bears at dusk in RDR made me feel so relaxed and yet so tense, brilliant immersion. Starcraft 2 is not only the first (e)sport that I watch and follow, but is something which me and my friends are constantly trying to get better at. Modern Warfare 1 campaign was just...I remember playing the demo and being blown away by the action, and the realism and 60 FPS. I played those missions over and over, and the multiplayer was amazing too. Uncharted 2 just set the bar for cinematic action, something which is as nice to watch as it is to play. FTL was the game that made me realise there's something to indies after all. Bioshock 1 was the first game when I realised that the atmosphere of a game could be so enjoyable. It wasn't the mechanics, or features that made me love this; but being in Rapture, and being creeped out by the audiotapes found next to corpses, and the truth of a utopia gone bad.

  14. #14
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSmoke View Post
    With context to Eight Rooks, I personally feel that people do spend a lot of money makig this, but then we can also try to eke out some dough by actually playing online games like bingo? There are many folks here http://www.bestoffersbingo.co.uk who claim to have made it big, simply by playing online games!
    I'm always surprised how people in general spend really a lot of money on games.. especially online..
    I know someone who really got addicted..but there are also some possibilities to play online games without spending a lot of money..
    however...
    playing games is important.. I can spent hours playing with friends catan.. or also online..

  15. #15
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    34
    not sure if anybody mentioned these...


    Rock Band 3
    Bioshock(s)
    Deus Ex HR
    Civ 5
    XCOM Enemy Unknown
    Crusader Kings 2
    Victoria 2
    Team Fortress 2
    Half Life 2
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Portal 2
    Dishonoured

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •