Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @8-bit
    Thank you very much for the answer! I really feel I should've been less stingy with this game, because everything you described appeals to me a lot, and I simply couldn't see it at the time. I think the fact that I played it during the free week-end especially played a part there, as with it there comes this influx of people playing the game for the first time, which provides an erratic kind of fun, but when that wears off (and it does very quickly), it's almost impossible to witness the real community at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Usually one of the total war games ends up soaking up a large, large chunk of my game playing hours. I've put 60 into Shogun 2 already, and I don't even really feel I've sunk my teeth into it at all.
    Before it came out I was like "aww gief Rome" as I'd not played the original Shogun, but now I'm totally hooked. I wish the next one would be Shogun III. They should save Rome II until technology allows them to easily field tens of thousands of troops in the engine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    According to Steam, my top non-MMO games are, in descending order:

Mass Effect 2 - 221 hours
    Company of Heroes - 146 hours
    Civilization V - 133 hours
    Fallout: New Vegas - 117 hours
    Mass Effect - 109 hours
    Dragon Age: Origins - 104 hours
    Empire: Total War - 103 hours

Of course, the MMOs are an order of magnitude (or more) higher. As of right now I'm seeing if I can't make Cities in Motion playable, and am still getting my DK2 kicks in.
    Last edited by Nalano; 27-08-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Before it came out I was like "aww gief Rome" as I'd not played the original Shogun, but now I'm totally hooked. I wish the next one would be Shogun III. They should save Rome II until technology allows them to easily field tens of thousands of troops in the engine.
    In my opinion it's easily the best game of the series so far. Mechanically it's a lot of fun, graphically it's delicious, atmospherically it's wonderful. The amount of time I've spent just zooming around the map in winter and just admiring the ambience is ridiculous. I doubt you'll ever see full legion size armies though - they've stuck with roughly this number of men per unit since medieval 1 - I think it's safe to say it isn't tech that's holding them back.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Usually one of the total war games ends up soaking up a large, large chunk of my game playing hours. I've put 60 into Shogun 2 already, and I don't even really feel I've sunk my teeth into it at all.
    According to steam I have 100 hours put into it and I have the same feeling of there still being loads more game there. I have only got to the end of one campaign (I lost) which is similar to my experience with all the other total war games I've played. I've put loads of time into them but I have never once won a grand campaign. Most of the time, when I get to the mid point, I just really want to start again as a different faction.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Mass Effect 2 - 221 hours
    Did you play through it eight times, or accidentally leave it running while on vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by Doesn'tmeananything View Post
    @8-bit
    Thank you very much for the answer! I really feel I should've been less stingy with this game, because everything you described appeals to me a lot, and I simply couldn't see it at the time. I think the fact that I played it during the free week-end especially played a part there, as with it there comes this influx of people playing the game for the first time, which provides an erratic kind of fun, but when that wears off (and it does very quickly), it's almost impossible to witness the real community at its best.
    yeah free weekends are always like that, all the servers fill up but many players struggle to even control the plane properly, and of course everyone is playing the loopy. the community does its best to welcome new players though, a lot of the servers during the free weekends are set up by the players clans, easier maps were made to help new players, and anyone who asks for help usually gets it. I doubt there will be anymore free weekends now since the (limited content) demo no longer has a time limit its basically free to play now, I do see a steady number of new players coming to the game anyway so its not like it ever needed the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Did you play through it eight times, or accidentally leave it running while on vacation?
    Not a clue. Played it through three times, plus a bunch of futzing about with the character generator. But 221 hours is what Steam says, so I must've played it for 221 hours.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

All-time record would probably belong to World of Warcraft or Counter-Strike. Mario Kart would be up there too if the various entries in the franchise can be considered as one. It's all the same game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Fate: Gates of Dawn - 1000 hours.

Currently

Singleplayer - Oblivion
    Multiplayer - TF2, LoL, SC2

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    All-time record would probably belong to World of Warcraft or Counter-Strike. Mario Kart would be up there too if the various entries in the franchise can be considered as one. It's all the same game.
    I can't check, but if I'm not mistaken, my total /played in WoW amounts to something like half a year.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Multiplayer: That's definitely WarCraft 3 + The Frozen Throne. At first ladder and custom games (Tower Wars, etc.), then and now DotA. Don't know exactly how many ladder games it were (different accounts), but probably something like 4000. DotA also quite a few hundred games.

Singleplayer: That's more difficult. The longest in recent times should be Dragon Age: Origins with around 120 hours, and Mass Effect 2 with around 70 hours.

On another note. The Steam playtimes aren't always accurate.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    There are a few that qualify but I've actually drifted from most of them lately due to my "finish some bloody games initiative". Battlefield 2(including project reality), splinter cell chaos theory, guild wars, natural selection and company of heroes were the old standbys. Burnout paradise, splinter cell conviction and sword of the stars probably sneak in as second tier obsessions.

Of the games I played during the last year I would say Minecraft, The Witcher (1) and The Witcher 2.
    Of all the games I played? Well Guild Wars beats everything with something around 3500 hours, then there's Oblivion, Daragon Age: Origins (in hindsight, I have no Idea why I wasted so much time with it) and both Baldur's Gate titles (I tend to play through them once a year).

Cod4 and Minecraft. Purchasing Deus Ex HR soon enough. That will bring me loads of fun.

I can't seem to stop playing DooM 2 and that's before I get into third party maps and mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Not a clue. Played it through three times, plus a bunch of futzing about with the character generator. But 221 hours is what Steam says, so I must've played it for 221 hours.
    Mass Effect 2 seems to severely over report playtime hours. It says I've played it for over 25 hours, which is a damn lie. I've never gotten past the section that was in the demo, let alone 25 hours.

Not counting MMOs, my top is hands down Batman: Arkham Asylum. I've logged some 96 hours in that game, according to Steam anyway, but adding to that the amount of time I spent on the PS3 version, and factoring in Steam's inaccurate logging, probably puts the total closer to 200 hours.

It's one of those things where I just gravitate to the combat challenges. I have played Totally Insane more times than I could possibly count, and I'm currently in the 40s on the leaderboard with something like 640,000 points. I pick it up and play it in odd moments throughout the day, and over time I just got better and better at it, and once I started charting in the top 100 that just drove me on even more.

I've been playing pretty shitty lately though, I'm starting to just get frustrated again with all the little bugs and randomness in the combat engine. Really looking forward to Arkham City, but in the meantime I've been getting my mindless melee fix from the Space Marine demo instead.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    TF2 and blood bowl, muchly with peeps from the office at the end of the day.

But most of my gaming is going through single player games, usually with a single happy play-through.

Including the expansion, according to Steam I have spent 64 hours of Dawn of War 2. Otherwise, Dragon Age Origins at 60 hours. Which is odd, as that game left me feeling deeply unsatisfied. I suspect I spent more time in Oblivion, perhaps 100 hours over a number of plays, but that is not on Steam.