Lesser Hivemind Node

Spam on the site.

Is there really nothing that can be done about all the "my cousin makes xxx dollars part time..." spam comments that we're getting recently?

The last 2 articles I read (Desktop dungeons and another one) had a large number of such comments.
    I assume RPS has some kind of anti-spam filter, which is probably catching a lot of spam.. but these ones seem to get through on a regular basis.

Can we get a "report spam" button? Or are we supposed to use the "block" button for that?
    Does multiple people "blocking" a post flag it up somehow?
    I feel like if we at least had a "report spam" button we could be training the anti-spam software or something.

re: the "block" button, it only blocks things for you.

Obscure Node
    There was a "report spam" button on the site at one point, I think? It's since been removed - not sure why, though.

It's probably complicated without turning on moderation for all posts. I don't know if it would be possible to set up a filter for some text templates, though.

In the last few days the spam has really started to spiral out of control. Sinister agent suggests that RPS just blocks all comments with $ in them, just so we can have a bit of reprieve. Doesn't sound like the worst idea.

It's getting really bad indeed.

Suggested words to ban: cousin, uncle, step-aunt

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Isn't there a way to ban things like $ and cousin, uncle etc... for users with less than a certain number of posts?

Activated Node
    Re : LTK, you really just wanted us to read "what in the twelve cocks of christ" didn't you.

Obscure Node
    Ohhh so that's why ppl would use bots to spam links nobody ever clicks, maybe making 10 posts wasn't that bad. Things are starting to make sense now.

But, why would anyone post links nobody would follow?

Quote Originally Posted by Juxta View Post
    Because a few people do and spam bots are so cheap that if 0.001% (or something suitably tiny) of people who read the spam posts click the link it is profitable.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Juxta View Post
    Ohhh so that's why ppl would use bots to spam links nobody ever clicks, maybe making 10 posts wasn't that bad. Things are starting to make sense now.

Because a large number of affiliate programes pay per click, even if it is made by mistake :)

Obscure Node
    yeah that's good

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by richmondster View Post
    yeah that's good
    Pretty sure this is another spam bot. Kinda funny that a bot would comment in a thread about bots.

Obscure Node
    wow dude, am i bot? hahahah. funny. how do you define that?

Obscure Node
    i used to comment to random post so that i can post a thread. but i'm not a spam. hahah

Obscure Node
    and btw, i'm new here. welcome me :)

Reported for spamming, bot or no bot.

The spamming issue is clearly for users like you that only want to get on here with ten posts so they can promote something. Youre not very welcome so far, please reduce the clutter of posts just because you need ten to post in the other forums.

so stop posting in random threads, with stupid OMG BRO FORCE AMIRITE comments.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Network Hub
    We finally have a new offer from the spammers. Free Steam Keys (for all people?)!!! RPS readers be damned if they're not the most spoilt of the master race.

How about moderating the first 10 (or five?) comments on articles for new accounts. After 10 (or whatever seems to be the minimal that works) comments you're out of moderation.