Just built a new rig with these specs:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
    CPU: Intel i5 4670k
    Memory: Crucial 16GB (2X 8GB)
    Video Card: Radeon R9 280X
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M
    Storage: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB, 2X Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiastist 650W

The problem I have, when plugging the power in and turning it on, all the fans start spinning and lights come on, but nothing is being displayed on my monitor. The motherboard also displays the numbers "00" on the LED display which the manual tells me means "Not used" which sounds like another way of saying "fuck knows".

I also have the 8 pin CPU power connector from the PSU which I know goes on the motherboard, however I can't for the life of me work out where that is meant to plug in on this particular motherboard.

I would really appreciate any advice you guys can give! :)

Network Hub
    Assuming this is the right one:
    http://www.vortez.net/articles_file/...ro%20intro.jpg

The CPU connector is on the right of that picture, just behind the rear connectors. In a normal case, it's in the back, top corner and often obscured by chunky CPU coolers.

Thanks mate, I sorted that out from the info you gave me. Feel pretty stupid for not noticing that before but it was hidden by my coolers radiator.

The next problem I am running into is the code has changed to 53 which the manual states "Memory initilization eror. Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed." It seems it can only take up to 4GB of Crucial memory which seems a bit arbitrary as it can take up to 32GB from other manufacturers such as Corsair.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Is the BIOS set to auto-detect memory speeds - if not, set that and see what happens...

I cannot get into the BIOS, my screen is showing nothing.

However, I did work my way around the problem by taking out the memory and reseating them. I am a bit concerned the motherboard manual does not list my RAM as a compatible type because I am unsure whether to re-order.

Anyway, I get a bit further into the starting up stage now but the motherboard is giving me a 62 which is "Installation of the PCH Runtime Services"...I swear they try to make this as unhelpful as possible

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Sure it's 62 and not b2? 62 would be stuff like USB devices, b2 is a memory issue.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Let's just take a step back here for a moment...

You've got a big pile of expensive parts and so far you've not plugged-in the CPU power lead and the memory wasn't pushed-in far enough!!

Deep breath - hold it - and releeeease....

Now go through the whole thing removing and refitting and reseating everything (cept the CPU and cooler) firmly and thoroughly.

Memory chips should 'doubleclick' - make sure both lugs are pushed fully into the sides of the chip
    PCI cards should be deeply 'thunked' into place - beware that the ports/backplace aren't fouling anything and stopping the card fully seating
    SATA cables should be tight (if they're not click-on/push-to-release types esp.)
    All power cables should be solidly pushed-in - esp true with SATA ones
    Mobo power and fan connectors should be solidly pushed into place - taking enormous care not to bend pins in FAN headers esp

When you're 101% sure everything is where it should be - push ON again.

p.s. "compatible memory' is any DDRx memory as far as booting is concerned - some brands/types may be more amenable to overclocking but 'compatible' often just means 'paid us to mention them' - don't sweat that...

p.s. for the avoidance of annoying crap, don't connect case ports initially (USB/sound etc.) - just the power (unless they're an all-in-one connector).

Sakkura you are right it, it does say b2 which is "Legacy Option Rom Initilization".

I will take everything apart and rebuild it if I can't figure this out, but the error messages I have had so far make it sound like a RAM issue, I know it is securely in place now (the clips are securing it) but I want to find out if if I need to order replacement parts. The fact it wont even load bios is a worrying sign.

Good to know the type of RAM I bought isn't causing issues though. :)

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Memory chips should 'doubleclick' - make sure both lugs are pushed fully into the sides of the chip
    His motherboard has single-latch memory slots.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    His motherboard has single-latch memory slots.
    Ask yourself what sort of person tells me and not him - ask yourself, go on ;)

As for 'loading BIOS' - all it needs is a CPU (with a power connection) and some memory and it should load that just fine - in fact, if you're worried, disconnect EVERYTHING else until that happens...

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Ask yourself what sort of person tells me and not him - ask yourself, go on ;)
    I didn't PM you about it, so I told everyone who reads this thread.

Quick update guys, I went through all the components and made sure they were firmly in. Something must have been installed incorrectly as it now seems to get further into the boot up stage and then hangs on "AE" which is "Legacy Boot Event". Sounds promising but I hate having to decode every code it gives me just for the thing to work...I am still not even in bios.

Also, this motherboard does not have a port I can plug my monitor directly into, so I need the graphics card installed to check that I am in bios.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    "AE" can simply mean "I have nothing to boot from" - e.g. no HDD with an OS on it - e.g. it's "working"

If you're seeing nothing on your screen, you have a GPU/cable/monitor issue because the BIOS startup should have appeared by that time.

You have connected power cable(s) to your GPU? (6 or 8pin(s)??)

I seem to have gone back a stage...I took everything apart and reassembled it and am again getting the B2 "Legacy Option Rom Initialization" code come up. This has to be something to do with the memory or the board itself as I am getting that no matter what I plug in now.

I have the 6 + 2 pin and 6 pin connectors plugged into my graphics card, I know that isn't the problem though as I tried an older card and still getting the same issue. Cable and monitor work fine on another computer.

I fear the board or RAM is going to need to go back :(. I just need to figure out which one.

Try with one stick of RAM at a time, in each of the slots in turn. And test either stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Try with one stick of RAM at a time, in each of the slots in turn. And test either stick.
    It leads to a B2 message no matter which stick I use and in which slot. When I turn on the power the motherboard display runs through a lot of codes very fast and far to many for me to note. It then restarts itself, goes through some more codes before hanging at B2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    B2 is legacy rom error - I've not seen this board but IIRC it has multiple BIOSes (UEFI and Legacy?) and you can switch them on the board itself??

Stopping at B2 implies there's a device it can't initialise or communicate with - PCI or USB - does the code disappear if you remove the GPU (I assume you have nothing else connected at this point?)

Another random suggestion - you did fit the standoffs when you installed the mobo - yes? Have you tried this "on the bench" (e.g. remove everything from the case?)

Do you have another GPU you can try?

Thanks for your help trjp. The code does disappear when I remove the GPU but gets replaced with a 99 code "Super IO Initialization". The only things connected is the RAM, GPU, CPU and cooler, I also have power running to the CPU and the motherboard with the water cooler and its fans also plugged into the board.

I have taken it out of the case and it reports the same code, I can't try it with the gfx card in as it is to big to fit in the box.

I have tried my old graphics card but it is giving me the same problem.

Regarding standoffs, I noticed my case came with what looked like they had been screwed in for me. It came with 4 in a pack so I assumed they were just extra as the case has 9 installed (although the two in top corners are little plastic molds rather than a typical standoff). Should I put the extras in the 4 corners?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't think that will matter, I was just wondering if you had a short somewhere (mobo touching case or one of the PCI backplanes touching something)

Googling does show these boards to be somewhat picky about components and generally troublesome if you have the wrong bits -you really need someone who's seen this board and knows a bit about the BIOS options (there's apparently a bios switch on the board?) and what you should do about that...

Note: a 99 does not mean the PC isn't trying to boot-up - it's an informational message about an unsupported or missing device apparently but people can have that showing and still be using their PC - or so it seems...

So when you plugin a GPU and power-up, nothing appears on the monitor at all?

Interesting what you say about these motherboards being picky, it looks really neat and everything is spaced out nicely. Just a shame it doesn't work! I think I will get a new board because I am confident it is not RAM or the GPU and I am just praying nothing is wrong the processor.

Is it common for Asus boards these days to be so problematic? I have always used them in the past and would only buy a different model from them to test this.

If the motherboard is not faulty, at least my brother will get a very expensive Christmas present this year.

And the 99 code only shows up if there is no card in PCI-E slot, otherwise it is the b2 message. Unfortunately, my board doesn't have an on board port for my monitor so I need a card. :(