Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Activated Node

Thanks Lewie Procter and good luck!

Hello fellow RPSers,

Let's just start by saying I was incredibly shocked to read this tweet: https://twitter.com/LewieP/status/399559680080756736

While I understand speculating on the why's and how's of something this personal is disrespectful so I'd encourage you not to do that. I made this thread just to inform those of you not following Lewie's twitter and for thanking Lewie for the time he spend working for RPS.

Thnx Lewie! Good luck with your carreer... You'll do great!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    How odd, that was a very useful and great column.

Well, I am still following his twitter account and @SavyGamer, which continues to provide rather great deals. I did prefer the blogpost version though.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Obscure Node
    I would encourage everyone to add savygamer.co.uk to your bookmarks and use the links there to get some great deals, which will have the knock on effect of helping to replace his reduced income.

Also down with this sort of thing happening to anyone for any reason, no matter the circumstances.

Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar
    Amen, got a lot of use out of the Bargain Bucket. Savygamer.co.uk's going on the browser toolbar.
    Last edited by Capt. Eduardo del Mango; 11-11-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I was wondering why there was no bargain bucket this week.

That's a shame. Will add savygamer to my list of daily check websites.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Bizarre news.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Lesser Hivemind Node
    That's surprising and sad to hear.

RPS does seem to have a bit of a problem hanging on to people, they seem to appear for 6 months and then never be heard from again. Though that might just be down to the nature of the industry.

Hope he does ok with savygamer. The Bargain Bucket was always very good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Just wanted to add my voice to those who wish LewieP good luck in the future. Bizarre news indeed.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

This is sad news. Why should I keep visiting RPS on Saturdays now?
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

I noticed the bucket's timing has been inconsistent the last few weeks. Will be interesting to see if it or a similar column carries on in some form.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    That's surprising and sad to hear.

RPS does seem to have a bit of a problem hanging on to people, they seem to appear for 6 months and then never be heard from again. Though that might just be down to the nature of the industry.

Hope he does ok with savygamer. The Bargain Bucket was always very good.
    I think it's more that they get people in to cover for holidays and sabbaticals. Shame about Bargain Bucket though from a entirely editorial point of view, it's ground covered pretty well elsewhere (not least Lewie's own website and this forum) and while it was convenient to have it here, it's not a huge loss, and I can see the thinking that the money would be better spent commissioning a different Saturday column. Still sucks for Lewie though.

Sad news :(
    Good luck Lewie, take care.

By the way, if anyone of RPS staff or moderators is reading this: any chance of an official statement regarding Lewie's departure?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Lewie said he might talk more about at some point once the dust has settled. It's worth bearing in mind though that he wasn't 'technically' fired (note - I'm assuming here, based on experience but it's possible RPS do things differently, but very unlikely) - he was a freelance contributor being paid for a weekly column, he wasn't employed by RPS. The nature of that sort of thing is that it's never permanent or a 'job', as such, you're not likely to get any official statement from RPS. They've just stopped commissioning a particular column.

Ideally that frees up extra freelance budget and Lewie can start pitching them other stuff that uses his not inconsiderable talent at writing to tell us about things more interesting than cheap games. So it's probably not in his best interest to go on about it much either...

Activated Node
    In a comment on the console article John apologized for the lack of a bargain bucket this saturday and promised there would be a new one next week... He didn't mention Lewie, which I guess is understandable.

The Bargain Bucket will continue though, so that's positive for us, it is kinda sad for Lewie though...

Obscure Node
    If it is just a decision regarding the optimum use of what must of course be a limited commissioning budget, I do hope they'll say so. I understand that, as a private company, they don't have to justify their actions. But I think of RPS as at least partially a community, and communities don't react to questions like Ubisoft do when they think the answer might be unpalatable.

I for one really appreciated the Bargain Bucket - and I think Lewie put a lot of work into being up to date with bargains that would be hard to replicate in less than (many hours a week of work). Though one could write an RPS Bargain Bucket by looking at Savvygamer :)

There's another issue here, too, which is what happens when a freelancer develops a column and a readership and they are given to someone else. Again, happens all the time. But I hoped RPS was different?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by luukdeman111 View Post
    The Bargain Bucket will continue though, so that's positive for us, it is kinda sad for Lewie though...
    Ouch. That's ethically problematic too. Because if I were writing a games bargain column for any website, one of my primary sources is going to be SavyGamer. Because the research has already been done by Lewie. Though of course, that's also why the Bucket was a pretty neat job for Lewie, as he does all that research for the day job anyway. But still, awkward. I mean SavyGamer is open to anyone and it's public information and it'd be silly for a new writer not to use it but... if it were me I couldn't in good conscious.

I was much more comfortable with this when I thought they were just pulling the column. That said, we don't know the details, maybe they stopped commissioning Lewie for other reasons.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Ouch. That's ethically problematic too. Because if I were writing a games bargain column for any website, one of my primary sources is going to be SavyGamer. Because the research has already been done by Lewie. Though of course, that's also why the Bucket was a pretty neat job for Lewie, as he does all that research for the day job anyway. But still, awkward. I mean SavyGamer is open to anyone and it's public information and it'd be silly for a new writer not to use it but... if it were me I couldn't in good conscious.

I was much more comfortable with this when I thought they were just pulling the column. That said, we don't know the details, maybe they stopped commissioning Lewie for other reasons.
    As much as I like the Bargain Bucket and use SavyGamer, it isn't the "be all, end all" of PC bargains that it used to be. Reddit has actually overtaken it to a pretty hefty degree.

Which, to be fair, is probably a concern facing the entire journalism/"journalism" industry. Obviously there is still room for great commentary, but just aggregating info and informing people (KS Katchup, Bargain Bucket, etc) are a bit more questionable.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lewie's take on it (for the most part. His constant mockery of GOTYEs and the ass-series got a bit annoying), but if I am allocating limited resources that is one of the first things to go on the chopping block.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    if I am allocating limited resources that is one of the first things to go on the chopping block.
    Totally in agreement with that. But the Bucket isn't going away, just being done by someone else. So no resource saving. Unless Lewie had unreasonably high freelance rates, which seems unlikely.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Totally in agreement with that. But the Bucket isn't going away, just being done by someone else. So no resource saving. Unless Lewie had unreasonably high freelance rates, which seems unlikely.
    I have no idea how freelancer rates work, but if they can get an intern for cheaper, that is one choice. Or they could just have someone else pull double duty.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Given their stance on that sort of thing in the past (ie. paying someone less to do the same job because you can, even if the writing isn't as good), it seems unlikely.