Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Given their stance on that sort of thing in the past (ie. paying someone less to do the same job because you can, even if the writing isn't as good), it seems unlikely.
    Well, we don't know if the writing is as good or not. Time will tell.

As has been shown, there is definitely a lot of info we don't have and speculating doesn't help too much. But between this and the reliance on more annoying ads (and I am SURE John Walker has been frothing at the mouth for months over the fact that his well-intentioned and mostly decently written articles on sexism tend to have "Is X the hottest supermodel ever?" links on the bottom), I suspect RPS is in need of some capital. Likely due to the site's popularity growing massively while still being "a glorified blog". And the bargain bucket and KS Katchup (which also mostly disappeared) are the kinds of columns that can get nuked without too much disadvantage to the readers (and taken over by one of the other writers).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

...and while it was convenient to have it here, it's not a huge loss...
    It really can't be understated the difference a "deal of the week" on the bargain bucket could make to sales. It was certainly not an insubstantial amount, I can assure you.

Whatever else happened, the column was certainly an effective sales driver and reached far further than the amount of comments would indicate at a glance.

An RPS'ing can make a difference, an RPS'ing in the bargain column equally and sometimes more so. Selfishly, I'll miss it for that. I'll also miss it because I fucking loved the weeks where Sonic games were on sale. They were great.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    It really can't be understated the difference a "deal of the week" on the bargain bucket could make to sales. It was certainly not an insubstantial amount, I can assure you.

Whatever else happened, the column was certainly an effective sales driver and reached far further than the amount of comments would indicate at a glance.

An RPS'ing can make a difference, an RPS'ing in the bargain column equally and sometimes more so. Selfishly, I'll miss it for that. I'll also miss it because I fucking loved the weeks where Sonic games were on sale. They were great.
    Also, another concern (and what I think is the REAL reason the KS katchup basically ended) was that it can be seen as an endorsement by RPS. For the bargain bucket that was less of an issue (the games were out and known quantities), but for the Kickstarters it could lead to irrational asshats who say "But RPS said I Should back this and they stole my money and spent it on hookers and blow!"
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I suspect RPS is in need of some capital.
    If that's the case, monetizing the bucket with referral links might be the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    That's quite interesting. Not only from a developer point of view (just to broadly assume RPS is there to serve consumers, rather than indies, for the time being) but it means plenty of people were seeing deals there that they weren't seeing elsewhere, so maybe it was more useful to people that I realised.

That's quite interesting. Not only from a developer point of view (just to broadly assume RPS is there to serve consumers, rather than indies, for the time being) but it means plenty of people were seeing deals there that they weren't seeing elsewhere, so maybe it was more useful to people that I realised.
    I think that boils down to the endorsement issue. It is not so much that people didn't know about the bargain/game (not saying that isn't possible, but not as likely), it is that they saw "Ooh, site I like says to buy this game".

Activated Node
    I'm sorry for anyone losing a source of income, especially at this time of year (seriously, couldn't you have waited?) but did anyone actually read the Bargain Bucket? I don't think I ever clicked on it, but I check savygamer every day. I figured, why would I read an article version of that site. Maybe I didn't look closely enough and it was more than that.

That said, if they are going to continue the column, but without Lewie Procter, that appears to stink, without knowing any details. There's obviously some reason, I just hope it doesn't amount to cutting someone off and then stealing/diluting their business.

Obscure Node
    Sorry to blow your mind, Dick, but a lot of people (including myself) read and enjoyed both the commentary on the deals and the ensuing discussion. See the thread in this week's Sunday papers (or this very thread) for any support that comment may need.

I'll miss your contribution Lewie!

Obscure Node
    That's sad to hear. I always enjoyed the bargain bucket. :/ Hope Lewie does well.

Bit of a bummer! Always enjoyed Lewie's contributions and having met him at the first RPS Manchester meet, he's a really nice chap too. Hope he doesn't take too much of a hit from the RPS split.

That's a shame I enjoyed the Bargain Bucket.

Sucks very much, I like Lewie. Also, Bargain Bucket was probably my most used game shopping resource, even more so than Steam's own deals page.

Bucket will continue in some form. That Lewie is no longer writing it is not a decision based on cost, nor because of any political or editorial SJW regime, but rather because he was unable to agree to editorial deadlines and scheduling routines. It's an unfortunate turn of events, but not a sacking. Lewie was not a full time employee, but rather a freelancer writing a column, and that has come to an end. We wish him the best with future endeavours.

tough but sensible. sometimes it sucks to be a business owner.

good luck lewie, with your writing, im sure youll replace that gig in no time!
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That makes sense, with him off traveling the world and stuff. Shame, but hopefully he'll pitch other stuff and still be about the site occasionally.

Thanks for the official statement, mr. Rossignol.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Here's Lewie's statement.

An excerpt:
    As for what happened, the RPS editors and I had a disagreement over a policy decision. I feel that I was acting in the best interests of the readers, but it could be that there’s aspects of the disagreement that I don’t fully understand. I believe that the proposed changes would have impacted my ability to do the job properly, so I couldn’t agree to them. Given that, they have decided that they no longer want me writing for their site in any capacity.

Obscure Node
    [edit - removed because SirKicksalot beat me to the punch while I was editing..]

As with pretty much everything I've seen from Lewie P, it's a ton of drama over a very minor thing. The tweet he posted was awful "I'm no longer with RPS so please promote savvy gamer" was just silly.

Good to see statements from both sides, but I'm sure this sort of thing happens all of the time. I personally had an issue with it, because I know for a fact that Lewie P makes money from referrals in SG, and so I was often worried about deal bias in the Bargain Bucket. Also, he did some less than stellar mob mentality on his twitter.

Basically, it'll be nice for me personally to see someone else on the Bargain Bucket.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmm - here's hoping that however heated the argument over scheduling got that Lewie just got the wrong idea about them not wanting him to ever pitch anything again. I feel a bit dirty sticking my nose into this when it's none of our business, but it does feel like the parents fighting while we just want everyone to be happy...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DWZippy View Post
    As with pretty much everything I've seen from Lewie P, it's a ton of drama over a very minor thing. ...Also, he did some less than stellar mob mentality on his twitter.

Basically, it'll be nice for me personally to see someone else on the Bargain Bucket.
    Lewie is often very wrong on Twitter about many things and I often argue with him. However:

a) kid can't half write; and
    b) he's better at ferreting out deals than anyone else on the internet

He was by far the best person to do the column, regardless of what you think of him personally.