Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55
  1. #41
    Lesser Hivemind Node DWZippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    508
    This doesn't touch on the fact he used to/still does make money from affiliate links through Savvy Gamer, so was potentially being provided with these deals by interested commercial parties. While that may not be the case, it's a nagging doubt I'll always have while reading his words.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

  2. #42
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,382
    I've had my arguments with Mr P in the past but you cannot say that the Bucket wasn't a valuable resource here for a long time.

    It's time has come and gone tho - a weekly BB isn't really helpful anymore, the bargainscape is a fast-changing thing and sites like Reddit's GameDeals are the only real way to ensure you don't miss stuff - and RPS isn't really going to fun daily or hourly columns for that!!

    Even out own Bargain thread is dying of recent I've noticed - I think it's partly down to "there are bargains everywhere all the time" and partly down to even a thread being not quite a sharp enough way of tracking this stuff (again - hint - Reddit).

    It's also none of my business but Lewie could be a bit direct in his approach to things and his tweets about this are pretty much an encapsulation of that. I'd heard he was heading-out around the world after packing-up his place in London tho - perhaps he'll find us some foreign bargains from which we can all profit!? :)

  3. #43
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,382
    Quote Originally Posted by DWZippy View Post
    This doesn't touch on the fact he used to/still does make money from affiliate links through Savvy Gamer, so was potentially being provided with these deals by interested commercial parties. While that may not be the case, it's a nagging doubt I'll always have while reading his words.
    Lewie never used affiliate links on the BB - that was never allowed and never done.

    He did well from them on SG but you don't really make much from DD sales (the big hitters like Steam don't do affiliation) which is evermore what people want.

    Mind you - when it comes to retail (mostly console) sales he's consistently insulted one of his biggest earners (The Hut Group) and harangued the various incarnations of GAME too - I'm amazed they even paid him (tho often I suspect they may not have!!)

  4. #44
    Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Arse-end of England
    Posts
    237
    Thanks for letting us know, Jim.

  5. #45
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by DWZippy View Post
    As with pretty much everything I've seen from Lewie P, it's a ton of drama over a very minor thing. The tweet he posted was awful "I'm no longer with RPS so please promote savvy gamer" was just silly.
    I wouldn't call it "ton of drama", though. Sure, Lewie was a bit emotional, but he is human and all that. The situation was quite mild, undramatic and mundane, especially considering the internet standards.

  6. #46
    Activated Node tjv's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Schottland
    Posts
    74
    No biggie, been visiting Savygamer daily for a long time already anyway.

  7. #47
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    39
    Thanks Jim for the statement.

  8. #48
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by DWZippy View Post
    I personally had an issue with it, because I know for a fact that Lewie P makes money from referrals in SG, and so I was often worried about deal bias in the Bargain Bucket.
    I've never seen Lewie shy away from posting deals that don't allow referrals.

  9. #49
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    Words
    Thanks for the comment, glad that RPS wasn't deploying the "silence" I was predicting.

    *Heliocentric likes this +1*
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  10. #50
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Bishopric of Utrecht
    Posts
    2,029
    Quote Originally Posted by DWZippy View Post
    As with pretty much everything I've seen from Lewie P, it's a ton of drama over a very minor thing. The tweet he posted was awful "I'm no longer with RPS so please promote savvy gamer" was just silly.
    Ehhhhhrrrmm. Not sure I agree with his. I personally would not consider "Not writing for RPS anymore" a very minor thing at all. It's not like lots of people get to do it, or that it's just a glorified blog.

  11. #51
    Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Even out own Bargain thread is dying of recent I've noticed - I think it's partly down to "there are bargains everywhere all the time" and partly down to even a thread being not quite a sharp enough way of tracking this stuff (again - hint - Reddit).
    I think you're right. A once-weekly bargain post missed so much of what was going on by the time I read it there was no news and some of the bargains were already dead, since I usually only got around to reading it on a Sunday. Must check Reddit!

  12. #52
    Activated Node Gnoupi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I've had my arguments with Mr P in the past but you cannot say that the Bucket wasn't a valuable resource here for a long time.

    It's time has come and gone tho - a weekly BB isn't really helpful anymore, the bargainscape is a fast-changing thing and sites like Reddit's GameDeals are the only real way to ensure you don't miss stuff - and RPS isn't really going to fun daily or hourly columns for that!!

    Even out own Bargain thread is dying of recent I've noticed - I think it's partly down to "there are bargains everywhere all the time" and partly down to even a thread being not quite a sharp enough way of tracking this stuff (again - hint - Reddit).
    Personally, I changed my approach, with this knowledge that there will be deals anyway on anything at some point.
    Every game I'm interested in, I put on wishlist on http://isthereanydeal.com, and I get notified by this site for any price drop, or any "special" (bundles, typically).

    It was fun to hunt for deals at the beginning, but with time passing, I have a too big backlog and every game gets discounted or bundled anyway, so it doesn't make any sense for me to buy unless notified of a big discount (except games I really want to support the devs for, or that I REALLY want to play right now). Too often I bought something on release to play only 1 hour before the first -50%.

    About reddit, it's a bit too messy for my taste. Hard to find only what I am interested in, on gamedeals.

    I keep savygamer's rss for digital distribution in my news reader, for the occasional gem that I would have missed. But most of the time, I only get things from my wishlist anyway.

  13. #53
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnoupi View Post
    Personally, I changed my approach, with this knowledge that there will be deals anyway on anything at some point.
    Every game I'm interested in, I put on wishlist on http://isthereanydeal.com, and I get notified by this site for any price drop, or any "special" (bundles, typically).

    It was fun to hunt for deals at the beginning, but with time passing, I have a too big backlog and every game gets discounted or bundled anyway, so it doesn't make any sense for me to buy unless notified of a big discount (except games I really want to support the devs for, or that I REALLY want to play right now). Too often I bought something on release to play only 1 hour before the first -50%.
    Nice find, thanks!

  14. #54
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by DWZippy View Post
    The tweet he posted was awful "I'm no longer with RPS so please promote savvy gamer" was just silly.
    What on earth is wrong with him saying that? You've interpreted a neutral statement in some weird negative way. He earned money from RPS, he is no longer with RPS, so he wanted to promote the site that does earn him money. And that's "awful" and "silly"?!

  15. #55
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,851
    well how dare you make money and all that.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •