Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Logical Increments to PC Building and Buying.

(Sticky this mods!)

This guide regularly updates itself as I've directly linked to the source.

I swear, I'm not being subliminal about having you guys sticky this!
    Last edited by MedinaRegal; 27-08-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Because I love you

Sigh..

Anglicise it, then maybe we can talk.
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wellcome to the forums :D

yeah, Welcome to the forums dude and thanks for you contribution :)
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Sorry for the necro, but this post still shows up as the 3rd Google result for Logical Increments.
    I wanted to point out that we have a fancy actual website now, and update the parts list much more often. :)

If a mod could update that link at the top, I'm sure it would help our Google juice.

Thanks!

http://www.logicalincrements.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Some of the builds are kinda poorly balanced. Like a Core i3 with an Asrock Z77 Extreme3. That does not make sense.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If we're chipping-away at things - destitute is a stupid word to use for someone who can afford a PC at all, really.

Perhaps some climbing down from the high horse would be a good start - try using non-judgemental terms like "Basic" and "Advanced" and "Only cares about that FPS counter in the corner" perhaps

Don't know about that, "extremist" is the only one that seemed off to me.

It's good to hear your feedback on the labels. I don't think of them as really meaning anything, beyond being an easier thing to remember than "tier #7" or whatever.

The number the FPS counter is saying is very important - what else would you use to objectively judge the power of a gaming machine?

However, our primary concern when recommending parts is reliability. That's why you see those expensive motherboards used with not super expensive CPUs, and also why you see us recommend only single platter hard drives, and only high quality power supplies.

We do a lot of research on the power supply circuitry of the motherboards (VRMs, etc), since that's where most motherboards fail. That's also what usually causes CPUs, RAM, or other components to be destroyed with the motherboard.

Those with the knowledge to decide that they are fine with the slightly increased risk of system failure associated with cheaper power supplies, motherboards, or hard drives, are encouraged to make their own decisions. Those who don't have that knowledge get the most reliable recommendations we can configure.

Many of those motherboard upgrades do nothing for reliability. They mainly provide extra features.

Some of them do, true, especially the more expensive ones. Eventually the builds will be much more dynamic, so that they are configured based on which things you actually care about.

In the mean time, if you have specific suggestions, we'd love to hear them. It's very much a work in progress, and we don't always make the right choices!

Actually a pretty nice and comprehensive list. Could use more retailers and perhaps some basic information on liquid cooling.

Especially helpful for me since I'm currently scanning the market for some good deals. I guess the only other recommendation I can make is that you add more information. Provide a few reasons for why you put an 850W PSU with the 2x670 cards instead of a 750W, or how the GTX 670 performs nearly as well as the 680 and is $100 cheaper.

All that being said, I was surprised to see how close I was to one of those builds with the computer I'm about to purchase, seen here: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Intel...rator/w/156539

I figure I'll stick with that current setup and get another 670 card when I can afford it. Figured a 750W would still be fine (unless that's an awful idea).

But yes - that's quite a nice guide you've made there. Certainly helpful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    is 620W power supply really necessary with superb build? no sli, just two drives and i5.
    a bit too much power wasted

620W is not really necessary, you are correct. All of our power supply recommendations are a bit excessive.

The reasoning behind this is that people with the knowledge or interest to ask or calculate their own needs can get smaller power supplies, and the one guy who lives in a desert, has 10 external hard drives and a usb coffee maker, but doesn't know how much power he needs. . . That guy won't get too weak of a power supply and blue it up and burn down his house.

If that seems like a non-optimal solution to the problem, it is. ;)
    We're working on a version of the site that takes into account individual requirements right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronSky View Post
    Actually a pretty nice and comprehensive list. Could use more retailers and perhaps some basic information on liquid cooling.

Especially helpful for me since I'm currently scanning the market for some good deals. I guess the only other recommendation I can make is that you add more information. Provide a few reasons for why you put an 850W PSU with the 2x670 cards instead of a 750W, or how the GTX 670 performs nearly as well as the 680 and is $100 cheaper.

All that being said, I was surprised to see how close I was to one of those builds with the computer I'm about to purchase, seen here: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Intel...rator/w/156539

I figure I'll stick with that current setup and get another 670 card when I can afford it. Figured a 750W would still be fine (unless that's an awful idea).

But yes - that's quite a nice guide you've made there. Certainly helpful.
    I don't know if you actually posted this a week ago, or if the forum is just acting weird.
    Just in case this is still relevant:
    That will be a sweet build. I would have gone with an i7-3770K, for reasons we talk about here: http://www.logicalincrements.com/art...0k-vs-i7-3820/
    But it really doesn't make much difference, the i7-3820 will be equally as excellent.
    750W will be plenty of power, and will be enough even if you add a 2nd GTX 670.

We do need more info, especially to explain some of our choices that seem strange, like sticking with 1TB hdds. (Single platter = much more reliable). I've been working on adding tooltips today, which will be a quick fix for getting a little more info in there without making it too crowded.

More retailers are definitely planned too. Right now it's just too much upkeep, since we don't even have automated price checking set up yet. Soon. ;)

Single platter doesn't mean as much for reliability as you imply, since the platters aren't what usually causes a malfunction.

As far as I know, the most common cause of failure is still the good old head crash.

If you have some data to back up that claim I'd love to take a look at it! It's hard to find good hard drive reliability data. Here's one source of data we've based our assumptions on: http://www.behardware.com/articles/8...s-rates-5.html

If things have changed, I'd love to be able to recommend higher capacity drives. I don't want to make recommendations that result in people with poor backup habits losing their data.

The engine or bearing can wear out. And the risk of head crashes isn't directly proportional to the number of platters AFAIK.

Also, drives with less platters will have higher densities and thus be more sensitive, making errors more likely.

Obscure Node
    A great site. Thanks LI. I'm almost at the point where I'd be comfortable spending $100s on a new PC - given my current PCs are a 2006 gaming PC and a 2007 office (low profile) PC, probably won't be too many paycheques before I reach this point!