Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After Reset RPG

After Reset RPG

After Reset RPG is a sci-fi post-apocalyptic role-playing game. Inspired by original Fallout 1/2, Baldur's Gate and Planescape:Torment.

Hey, guys! My name is Richard, and I’m the creator and game director of After Reset RPG.
    In this description… I’d like to tell you about the game my team and I have been working on for more than a year. Never since the announcement of Fallout: Van Buren has such a game taken center stage. Of course, that game was never released, so we decided to fill in the gap. You see - our project was conceived after a long line of disappointments. Like you, we were expecting (and hoping for) a Van Buren substitute to be released - and it just never happened. We wanted to relive the emotions and epic stories from old school RPG’s, and I’m sure that together we CAN build that theme park! With blackjack, caravans, and hookers, of course! :)

And with these things in mind, After Reset is based on three pillars of design from the good old days. You can expect:

A POST-APOCALYPTIC ATMOSPHERE, developed with a focus on sci-fi realism and more locations to explore than Fallout 1 and 2 combined.

A NONLINEAR STORY with the freedom to choose between a ton of branches and endings, which influence the whole setting even beyond the game you play.

HARDCORE MECHANICS in the best traditions of D&D and SPECIAL, we have created our own system called SACPIC (for more info, check out update #2), where you will be able to customize every aspect of your character. Of course, you’ll also be able to choose from a list of pre-made ones.

Drooling yet? :)

//find us on Steam Greenlight (we were greenlit in 5 days!) and stay up to date by following us on our official site, along with weekly updates, via our Facebook and IndieDB pages. Also, you can check out the following interviews for more info:
    What will the After Reset RPG be like?
    After Reset RPG for Small Dev Talk.
    After Reset RPG for Voice of Wasteland Magazine.
    Mr.Nixon for MediaKilledReality.

Link to gameplay video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixyhS1XsdbA
    Last edited by MrNixon; 07-12-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    That looks more than inspired by Fallout, sheesh. Don't be surprised if you get a call from Bethesda's lawyers. And is that Gordon Freeman in the last picture on the KS page?
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Derivative works rarely if ever improve upon the things they seek to emulate. If you honestly want to make a truly great game that captures peoples imaginations then make the post apoc RPG that isn't fallout/BG/PS:T 'inspired' and come up with one that possesses it's own unique voice (Think different as the late Mr Jobs would say).

Right now all I'm seeing is a few twists on a frankly tired formula. Instead of being 'Mad Max' be Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road'
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I disagree. Fallout itself is a derivative of Planescape [Wasteland], and there's an inescapable amount of derivation and influence in any act of creation. There's nothing wrong with a genre, if you do it well (the question is of course doing it well).
    Last edited by Internet; 21-07-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I disagree. Fallout itself is a derivative of Planescape
    A game that came out in 1997 is a derivative of one that came out in 1999?

*pulls up chair*

Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

KICKSTARTER UPDATE #1

My Fellow Backers,

First, thank you for your support, thank you for your words of inspirations and advice to make our project better. Due to your active engagement we:
    • Added new pledges of $15 and $20;
    • Added access to Closed Alpha and Beta Tests for every pledge equal to $35 or more;
    • Added 10 limited SERGEANT MAJOR [+] pledges with free “Name a weapon” feature allowing us to name a weapon by backer’s name;
    • Added 100 limited FIRST SERGEANT [+] pledges with free “Wailing Wall” feature allowing us to put backer’s name to the in-game memorial in Reno city, dedicated to survivors died during the Dallas Incident;
    • Put all important changes in separate section of out page (Major Important Updates);
    • Fixed our video (made it shorter and added more gameplay);
    • Put marked BIO of our team in separate section of our page (“About the team. Who are you, guys?”);
    • Indicated important questions and added them into FAQ (I put them at the end of current update as well).

Beyond that, I’d like to devote every update to one of the three main features of After Reset RPG (atmosphere, story or mechanics). And by this first update I’d like to appeal to STORY feature by revealing new lore. The lore about one of the major side of emerging conflict in the Game – the New Confederacy…

LORE: THE NEW CONFEDERACY

The Confederate Cities of America (CCA) commonly referred to as the Confederate Cities (CC) or the New Confederacy, was set up on February 4, 130AR (130 years After the Reset) by several cities within the region formerly known as North America. Those cities included in the New Confederacy were all survivors of the Reset and the nuclear holocaust that came with it, with populations directly descended from the survivors of the Reset. The creation of the CCA was heavily influenced by the Dallas Incident that occurred less than a year before its founding. It was also thanks to the personal charisma and experience of Bill Thomas, who united 5 of the survivor cities in Former North America and became the first President of The Confederate Cities of America after its formation.

The Articles of Confederation (or as they are called now – Articles of Stone, named after their originator Eli Stone, a colleague of Bill Thomas and the first Vice President of CCA) were adopted on June 11, 130AR, they state as follows:

1. Name of the New Confederacy: The Confederate Cities of America.

2. The head of the New Confederacy is the President, elected by the Council of Cities once every 5 years. After election, the President has a veto power over any decision by the Council of Cities, except for decisions on amendments of current Articles and on acceptance of new cities into the Confederacy.

3. The sovereignty of the cities of the Confederacy is established and their powers are guaranteed to the extent to which such powers do not fall under the Confederacy.

4. The goal of creating the Confederacy is established; the cities are obligated to help one another.

5. Citizens of the cities are accorded the freedom of movement within the Confederacy. Cities are obligated to extradite criminals and slaves.

6. The right of citizens of the Confederacy to keep and bear arms, the right to a due process hearing (including trial before a jury of their peers), and the right not to be forced to testify against oneself, are all affirmed.

7. The right of citizens of the Confederacy to own private property is affirmed. The right to own slaves – non-citizens of the Confederacy - is affirmed. The freedom of the latter is affirmed (a citizen of the Confederacy cannot be a slave).

8. The principle of "one city has one vote in the Council" and the procedure for appointing delegates to the Council of Cities (the delegates are chosen by the heads of cities) are affirmed.

9. The procedure for awarding military ranks during a war (any rank below a major is awarded by heads of cities).

10. Expenses by the Confederacy are paid for through taxes and in proportions set by the Council of Cities.

11. The Confederacy has the power to declare war, standardize weights and measures (including currency), and consider disputes between cities.

12. Powers, which the Articles do not directly assign to the New Confederacy, are reserved to the cities and citizens.

13. The procedure for accepting new cities into the Confederacy (requires approval by a majority of delegates in the Council of Cities) is established.

14. Procedure for amending the Articles is affirmed – changes must be approved by all the cities.

The official flag of the Confederate Cities of America, known as "Burnt Cross", consists of 5 (at the start of the 132AR) burnt stars inscribed into a blue diagonal cross on a red background. Each star represents one city of the Confederacy.

After the Dallas Incident, news of the sudden emergence of the United Governments quickly spread among few separate settlements of survivors across the Former North America.

Most of the people who survived the Reset on the surface started to blame the United Governments for all that happened. They had hard memories, of loved ones lost in storms of nuclear fire. Many of those had little to no experiences with the “Invading aliens” of the Reset, and later, generations brought up based on hatred towards the United Governments were stunned by the encounter with the "demons" of the Past Era and at the same time were frightened by the technical strength of these "demons". They were technologically beyond anything witnessed in generations.

Skillfully using this fear and hatred, and at the same time guaranteeing the right to own property (including the right to own slaves and territories) and the right to freedom (including freedom from slavery for citizens of the Confederacy and broad internal powers of cities of the Confederacy), the charismatic and ambitious politician Bill Thomas succeeded in less than a year to unite 5 cities of survivors under the banners of the Confederate Cities of America.

By the year 132 After Reset:
    • The city of Reno is the capital of the New Confederacy.
    • Bill Thomas is the president of the New Confederacy.
    • Eli Stone is the vice-president of the New Confederacy.
    • The New Confederacy consists of 5 cities; The Reno Capitol is one and there are four others, but you’ll have to play the game to find out what cities made it through the Reset.
    • The official currency is the Confederacy Dollar (barter is gradually being replaced in the cities of the Confederacy.)
    • The United Governments do not recognize the existence of the New Confederacy and do not have any diplomatic relations with them.

Obscure Node
    I'll give it a whirl.

Gotta hand it to Mr Nixon, at least he didn't try to 1up Brian Fargo like Thorvalla did. He's pretty straight about respecting the folk behind Wasteland 2 and not being in competition with them. Although, I would polish the english a little in some comments and updates... that alone is probably hurting first impressions, even if the game does look very professional.

Thanks, guys! Working on language :)

KICKSTARTER UPDATE #2

Hey fellows,

Once again, thank you for your support! I see pretty many of you adjusted their pledges to higher ranks, that is nice :) As I mentioned through previous Update, I’d like to devote every update to one of the three main features of After Reset RPG (atmosphere, story or mechanics). And in this Update I’d like to lift a curtain a little and reveal several pieces of game MECHANICS. The pieces of character creation process. But before that, fresh field news.

I browse through the Internet every day and see a lot of responses about the game. Gaming media it is: "After Reset may be the Fallout 3 we never got…" Majority of the people like the idea, but are disappointed about the $900k goal we've settled. In this update I’d like to quote my reply on that on RPGWatch:
    "As a mature person I've got sufficient money from my business so I don't want to be preying on gamers like myself. As a creator and a gamer I don't want to create and/or play one more unfinished trash… So $900k is not about "how much do I want" but about "how much does such a game cost.
    Why did we launch that project? Because nobody else did. We're too tired of waiting.
    We waited for KOTOR 3 and got SWTOR :(
    We waited for Balder's Gate 3 and got "Enhanced Edition" :(
    We waited for Diablo 3 and got… *facepalm*
    When another game was announced I put the question "will it be like unreleased original Fallout 3 (Van Buren)?" and received "no". That was the last drop. I just want to play R-P-G. So that game is for people who feel the same…"

Another 2 questions I received from backers are concerned about the Director’s Cut edition and MARPCO Robo Dog.

o make it clear, DC will not have substantiation content except for extra animations and several minor possibilities which most of the players doesn't care (like "child killer" status in Fallout 2). Yes, it will be available like DLC upgrade but I can’t say for now when and for how much. But that release must not disappoint the backers who pledge for it now - their trust should be rewarded.

And regarding MARPCO Robo Dog... Yes it will be available like DLC. That fully scripted companion will not have its storyline except for background story. It will be customizable. It's up to you to assemble it for different purposes (mule, combat, detection, recon etc). And once again I can’t say for now when and for how much. Release must not disappoint the backers who pledge for it now - their trust should be rewarded. I'd like to give that companion as a FREE DLC, but with decent later release date.

So, feel free to suggest new ideas. Thank you for your support and, please, do not regard our project as 'hopeless'. As one person wrote about it on a forum:"You can think "it's not going to make it, why bother pledging" and "I'll pledge, it probably won't make it so I don't lose anything, but if it does, this is the type of game I would like to play". I prefer the 2nd approach."

GAME MECHANICS: CHARACTER CREATION

Important: not in-game screenshot, just a draft from design document.
    Here it is a draft of Character Creation stages in SACPIC game mechanics.
    Stage 1: SPECIES
    Stage 2: RACE
    Stage 3: GENDER
    Stage 4: ALIGNMENT
    Stage 5: STATS
    Stage 6: FEATS
    Stage 7: SKILLS
    Stage 8: APPEARANCE

Beyond that, during the game you will be able to pick up up to 2 PROFESSIONS (from many) and customize your IMPLANT.
    STAGE 1 - SPECIES:

Humans are the most diverse and contradictory species in the world of After Reset. Being one of most adaptable, flexible, fierce predators on the planet humans easily gnawed their way to the top of the food chain in the Past Age. Along with that humans kept and developed exalted soulful life drivers like love, compassion, faithfulness and self-sacrifice. As well as passion, violence, betrayal and madness.

Average humans' height varies from 5 to 6 feet tall with an average weight of 125 to 250 pounds. Men are normally heavier and taller than the typical woman. The humans' skin color varies from almost black to pale white, also the humans typical hair color is from black to blonde, these hairstyles can fluctuate from curly, kinky or straight. Men's facial hair varies from sparse too thick.

During the Past Age humans overpopulated the Earth. By the count of the United Governments human population exceeds 17 billion of people by the end of 2BC. During the Reset more than 99% of them perished. The human civilization as we know it was destroyed during that apocalypse or the yeas followed by it.

Species Traits:
    Base HP: 10.
    HP per level: 8.
    Base Speed: 30ft.
    Base Field of View: 180-degree.
    STAGE 2 - RACE:

Pastagers or Iron Worms (sometimes called 'Yankees' by people of the New Confederacy, contemptuously, or 'Underneath Demons' by the wild tribes of the former North America) are citizens of the United Governments that have been seen on the surface by descendants of survivors over the 100+ years after the Reset.
    During the Reset several millions from a population of over 17 billion were able to find refuge in specially equipped underground bases and over hundreds of years to expand them into fully fledged underground cities. By the 132AR the citizens of United Governments could be rarely met on the surface. The majority of them inhabit under the Earth within highly advanced underground megapolises. Despite their small numbers they still keep the technologies of the Past Age and its way of living.

The political system of the United Governments’ society is meritocracy/technocracy/corporatocracy. This is largely due to the huge influence that the elite (the so-called majority shareholders of the Earth) had on the establishment of the United Governments, formation of the "blue" and "white" lists by which United Governments citizens that enjoyed priority prior evacuation to underground cities were selected before the Reset. Due to that pastagers' nature tends to conflict through dominance but they have no special penchant for any alignment. The heroes and the villains are found among them.
    The average lifespan of Pastagers during the years before and after the Reset was increased up to 115 years. The major roles in that were played by science technologies and anxious attitude to human life (the lives of UG citizens, primarily).

Racial Traits:
    Size: Medium.
    Type: Humanoid.
    Base Initiative: 0.
    Base Armor Class: 10.
    Save Bonus Disposition*: 1.
    Base Attack Bonus: medium.

Alignment: any.

Level Adjustment: none.
    Stats Adjustment: none.

Racial Perks: Quick to Learn**, Skilled***.

*Save Bonus Disposition: amount of save bonus specialization (from 0 to 3). Determines randomly amount of Bonus Saves Category (Fortitude, Reflex or Will) that will be randomly set to High.
    **Quick to Learn: 1 extra perk at 1st level.
    ***Skilled: 4 extra skill points at first level, plus 1 additional skill point at each following level.
    STAGE 3 - GENDER:

Males: Males of the After Reset world can excel in whatever profession they choose.
    Females: Females of the After Reset world can excel in, and are pretty the equal of their male counterparts in every opportunities.

There are no social restrictions for male or female citizens of the United Governments in choosing their careers in Social, Science, Economic or Military Corps. Males and females of the United Governments are completely equal by their rights or possibilities.

Meanwhile among the anarchistic society of Survivors, the descendants of people who survived the Reset on the surface females are mostly treated like one of the most valuable resource. Due to that they quite often get into slavery and become the reason of wars between groups of Survivors. Within the emerging New Confederacy, regardless its patriarchal tendency, treatment to women is pretty close to the Past Age and women have the same writes as men have.

Thank you for your support and stay tuned!

Hi people!

We've just discovered Indie of the Year Awards by IndieDB :)

Please, vote us there for fun: http://www.indiedb.com/games/after-reset

And let's see what will happen together!

Hello, dear backers!

Our Kickstarter is almost done, and rather than waste your time merely discussing how thankful we are for your support, I’ll simply say that all of us at Black Cloud Studios have been inspired by your love and support throughout the campaign.

Some might view this campaign as a failure, but even though we didn’t collect the $900k needed to complete the development of our game - we did attract more than 1300 classic RPG fans to our cause, and we received two proposals from serious international studios. Sure, one door has closed - but others have opened up to replace it. The game will still be made, but (sadly) it will take much longer this way. We’ll still continue to forward our major website updates, and press releases, to Kickstarter even after the campaign finishes.

So, what comes next? And what does it mean to you, the backer?

Simply put, our plan B at this point is to offer direct backing on our website, adding a few unique features for those who supported us this way (mostly based on community feedback). Backers who pledge over $20 will receive access to our current tech build (available for download by the end of the week), and backers over $35 will also receive exclusive access to a private forum only for 'co-founders,’ where you’ll have the opportunity to participate in polls, developer discussions, and more.

We’re also giving away a few planned ADD-ONs to everyone who directly backs (e.g. feat to learn like Field Weapons Feat which will give you ability to use such rare weapons like the YK42B Pulse Rifle from Fallout 2). Additionally, we’re offering a special thank you for everyone who backed us on Kickstarter for $100 or more, for when you make a direct pledge (and include your KS account name for verification with our analytics):
    • every KS backer of $100 and more will receive the "WAILING WALL" FEATURE for free.
    • $275 or more will receive "NAME A WEAPON" FEATURE for free.
    • and $525 or more will receive "PERSONAL CHARACTER APPEARANCE" FEATURE for free as well.

You can find out more about these rewards under the ‘Digital Add-ons’ section, below. Naturally, we hope you’ll be generous when it comes to direct backing, but every penny counts - and we know that it’s asking a lot to switch to direct backing, but if we can raise $40-50k and complete the prologue, we’ll be able to show it off on Steam Early Access by Summer of 2014 (since we’re already green lit), and we’re confident that this will give us the momentum we need to secure additional funding. The prologue will include character creation, general game mechanics and stats, and 4-5 areas to explore. This should equate to roughly 1 - 2 hours of actual gameplay, and will require 6-8 months of development to complete (with funding).

We’ll have a webpage up to streamline the direct backing process within a day or two. In the meantime, please check out our direct backing options.

DIGITAL GOODS PLEDGES:

$20 PRIVATE
    • Access to current tech build of the game.
    • STEAM Early Access in 2014 for PC, MAC OSX, or Linux.
    • Digital copy of After Reset RPG for PC, MAC OSX, or Linux.
    • Digital Advanced Player's Guide in the best traditions of old school RPGs.

$35 SPECIALIST
    • All previous rewards plus:
    • Closed alpha test in 2014, and closed beta in 2015.
    • Unique forum-title 'Co-Founder,' with access to the AR community, where backers will get exclusive updates and help our team by voting on critical decisions.

$45 CORPORAL

• All previous rewards plus:
    • Digital After Reset OST of the best post-apocalyptic ambient music, by composer Mariusz Jasionowicz.

PHYSICAL GOODS PLEDGES:

$65 BACKER EDITION
    • Instant Access to current tech build of the game.
    • STEAM Early Access in 2014 for PC, MAC OSX, or Linux.
    • Digital Advanced Player's Guide in the best traditions of old school RPG.
    • Closed alpha test in 2014, and closed beta in 2015.
    • Unique forum-title 'Co-Founder,' with access to the AR Community, where backers will get exclusive updates and help our team by voting on critical decisions.
    • Boxed copy exclusive BACKER EDITION of After Reset RPG for PC, MAC OSX, or Linux. • Physical After Reset OST of the best post-apocalyptic ambient music, by composer Mariusz Jasionowicz.

$125 DIRECTOR'S CUT EDITION
    • All previous rewards, reworked as Director’s Cut edition, plus:
    • 'Co-founder's Luck' ADD-ON.
    • 'MARPCO Prototype Cyber Dog' ADD-ON.
    • 'Enhanced Violence Animations' ADD-ON.
    • 'One Per Five Sync Feat' ADD-ON.

$325 COLLECTOR'S EDITION
    • All previous rewards, reworked as Collector’s Edition, including:
    • Signed physical copy of exclusive COLLECTOR'S CUT EDITION of After Reset RPG for PC, MAC OSX, or Linux.
    • Signed physical copy of After Reset OST of the best post-apocalyptic ambience by Mariusz Jasionowicz.
    • Printed and signed Advanced Player's Guide in best traditions of old school RPG.
    • Printed and signed Concept Art Book with the best concept arts of the After Reset RPG.

DIGITAL ADD-ONS PLEDGES:

FREE FIELD WEAPONS FEAT
    All our backers will receive a special feat that unlocks the very rare field weapons, which are based on the study of alien Artifacts. All backers receive this perk for free with any pledge over $20.

$10 CO-FUNDER'S LUCK
    Get access to 3-7 extra random encounters in the best traditions of classic RPGs.

$10 MARPCO PROTOTYPE CYBER DOG
    Find and assemble an exclusive MARPCO Prototype Cyber Dog companion, to accompany you during your adventures.

$10 ENHANCED VIOLENCE ANIMATIONS
    Hardcore death animations recreated in full 3d. The wasteland is, after all, not a very nice place.

$30 ONE PER FIVE SYNC FEAT
    During your character creation you will acquire this feat, which allows your actions and choices affect the setting globally via Quanton Sync, as the equivalent of five ordinary players. After your first play through, all your choices will be sent to our server, and after the game session (1-2 years after release), our computers will calculate a global ending of the session for After Reset's world after tabulating all player choices. We'll polish them and make a final 'global' ending, which will be released in addition to the conclusion of your own personal story.

LIMITED FEATURES (TRUE BELIEVERS ONLY):

$50 (limited 200) "WAILING WALL" FEATURE
    We are really thankful for your addition support and we'd like to immortalize your name by putting it to the in-game memorial in Reno city, dedicated to the UG troops who died in the Dallas Incident. $100 (limited 10) "NAME A WEAPON" FEATURE We are really thankful for your addition support and we'd like to immortalize your name by naming special weapon with your name (like ‘Gauss Gun’, ‘Tommy Gun’ or ‘Kalashnikov’).

$1250 (limited 10) "PERSONAL CHARACTER APPEARANCE" FEATURE
    We will make a playable 3d-model of you and include it into the game to be selected through character creation process. Be yourself, play yourself.

NOT FOR SALE "GUARDIAN ANGEL" FEATURE
    You made so much to make After Reset RPG a reality that we will ask you to be included in the credits along with the development team. You can't buy that feature - it can only be earned.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR BACKERS:

To make direct donations just sum the pledges you’re willing to back and use this link [US DOLLARS]: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=F4DAL492CFVGN

To make direct donations just sum the pledges you’re willing to back and use this link [RU RUBLES]: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=QEHWYYPGM6M5A

Please include names of direct pledge package you’re interested in, as well as your full name, preferred e-mail, country, city, preferred OS (Windows/Mac/Linux), and KS account name (if relevant), into the comments box on the donation form.

Estimated date of STEAM Early Access and Alpha Test is 2014.

Estimated date of Beta Test and release is 2015.

For physical goods, we will ship them via UPS (or local post, where applicable) around the world. But please, don’t add shipping costs to your pledge right now - we’ll contact you when we’re ready to ship the materials, and have a better estimate of the costs and weight requirements.

Thanks for sticking with us, and please feel free to comment, or send us a private message. The winter is coming :)

Sincerely, Richard.

Hi guys! Today’s update is devoted to Atmosphere of the After Reset setting.

But at first let me share fresh good news by tradition:

• Since we announced direct pledges people have been backing directly $1,5k per day. So we are in business. We are going to have some rest and continue our work on prologue. Thus, I assume it will take 4-6 month to complete the prologue part and put it on Steam EA.

• We have finally complete STORE page on our website, where you can make your direct pledges and get your Instant Access to the current tech build of the game.

• We successfully got into the top 100 of the Indie of the Year Awards by IndieDB. So now we need you to click on "Vote for that game of the top 100" to make us win the award. Please, do it :)

• 'The Fall of Gyes' will become a separate realistic art novel as a collaborative project with Adam Burn by initiating a separate Kickstarter art project in February 2014.

THE FALL OF GYES

So as you know from our KS campaign we were desperately indented to make that art novel as the prequel for the main game. Unfortunately we were not successfully founded but we find another way to make this art novel a reality. We are going to put it on Kickstarter as a separate art project in February 2014.

Several month ago when I searched the Internet for the new AAA artist for the Fall of Gyes, I’ve occasionally encountered that art project called Telicos Protocol.

That pro comic was painted by Adam Burn. You know the high standard of everything we keep in working of After Reset. And I studied his portfolio in detail - his experience in working on cinematic high quality comic and his vision of the future technological appearance of humanity is pretty close to my own. You can see that by yourself from the arts of him we selected to put here in the news. I am pretty sure many of you will feel the United Governments and the Past Age on them :)

So I contacted Adam about two weeks ago and we agreed to collaborate on this art novel to make it an awesome reality.

I always thought to make the Fall of Gyes as the prequel for the After Reset RPG in form of adult comic or art novel with cinematic quality and interesting story in the best traditions of Ridley Scott's classic. Like the Thing or Aliens due to sci-fi genre of After Reset and claustrophobic atmosphere of the bunker where no one knows exactly what is happening and who/what the enemy is.

So what about the story? With the main characters you will discover the story of one of the companions from the original game and find out what happened in the bunker where players begin their journey in AR RPG. It is supposed to be a story of a young intern who arrives to the outpost of the United Governments for the last year of practice for Science Corps. But someone sabotages operations in the bunker... and suddenly some shit starts happening. There you can expect something like the Thing of Ridley Scott's classic as I mentioned.

During the narration of the novel readers will discover and meet more of common life of citizens of the United Governments as well.

How that will look like? It can be of any size depends on our founding results but we are going to focus on 32 pages of classic 17x26cm for printed version and 6:9 for digital format as our basic goal.

Speaking of the goal, it will be pretty affordable even now: $12,5k only.

Regarding our negotiations with Adam, it will take us 2-3 months to finish the novel after the March of 2014. So it should be done right before our prologue of the game is done for STEAM Early Access.

So, I hope you will like it!

Stay tuned and don't forget to back us directly via the Store :)

Character appearance

Greetings, our dear followers!

The team's working hard and we're making good progress on the prologue for Steam Early Access (SEA). Here's the latest news!

1. The community continues to show us their support via direct backing, and we've raised $10,045 to date from 250 people.

2. We've also made significant progress on final stage of the character creation process (Appearance), and we can confirm that you'll be able to choose between male and female playable characters in the STEAM Early Access version.

3. During the Appearance stage you'll be able to adjust a select number of cosmetic personal options, such as the name, height, girth, and an optional background (up to 1024 characters). By the game's release you'll also be able to customize the head (by more than 20 variants), body type (by 3 variant), ethnicity, and eye color of your characters, but the STEAM Early Access version will be limited to normal (mesomorph) body type, blue-eyes, and Caucasian skin tone.

Please note that all of these options are purely cosmetic, and they do not affect your character's stats or perks.

Thanks to those who pledged for the Personal Character Appearance option, you will also be able to choose personal named head preset of those backers.

4. We've got some extra exclusive screenshots of our main characters on the co-founders exclusive subforum, for those who pledged $35 or more. They include:
    - Full HD screenshots of default male character;
    - Full HD screenshots of default female character;
    - Full HD screenshots of default female character [NUDE] :)
    Be sure to check them out!

That's all for today. More content is coming.

Thanks for your support, guys. Stay tuned!

Back us via PayPal.
    Like us on Facebook.
    Add us on Steam Greenlight.
    Join After Reset™ RPG official website.

Hi guys,

I’m working hard on our SACPIC game mechanics and (as a player) it looks like one of the most sophisticated and interesting game mechanics I’ve ever seen. In this update I’d like to share some info about our weapons system and mechanics. The following assumes that the Initiative roll has been made and it’s your turn to attack. Enjoy!

WEAPON TYPES:

*Small sized characters use 1-handed weapons in two hands and cant use 2-handed weapons.

** Any character using a weapon out of its effective range will suffer a -20 penalty to hit.

*** Damage 1d8 if character is Large build, 1d6 if Medium, 1d4 if Small.

**** Any character fighting with a ranged weapon (except for throwing weapons) in melee will suffer a deadly -10 to hit. The enemy attacking him with a melee weapon will get +6 bonus to hit.

CRITICAL HIT:

A critical hit is a devastating attack that generates more damage than normal. Non-Player Characters are always subject to critical hits (unless immune), but player characters are only subject to critical hits in the Hardcore game mode.

Every weapon has a critical rating (e.g. "19-20/x2") consisting of a threat range and a critical multiplier. When an attack roll is successful and within the critical hits range, a critical hit confirm roll is made. If the critical hit confirm roll succeeds, then the hit is critical and damage is rolled once for each level of the multiplier. All bonuses to damage not specifically excluded from critical hits are added once per damage roll. Examples of sources of damage excluded from critical hits are on-hit properties.

Some creatures have immunity to critical hits, and against these creatures damage is rolled only once, regardless of the critical hit confirm roll (if the critical hit confirm roll was successful against such a creature, a message indicating the immunity will appear in the attacker's combat log).

Several feats, skills and item properties could modify critical hits.

* A crippled character receives -1 penalty to the relevant primary STAT (that penalties stuck)

** To make weapon critical hit effect applied the creature attacked must fail random CoS roll against it's DC.

*** Prone creatures are those that are lying on the ground. They are incapacitated and considered flat-footed, losing their dexterity bonus to the evasion class. Creatures attacking a prone individual in melee combat get a +4 bonus to their attack roll, while those attacking with a ranged or throwing weapon get a -4 penalty to their attack roll.

If a creature is both stunned and prone, the associated modifiers to an attacker's roll stack, but the prone condition is removed after a single flurry (e.g., if a stunned creature is knocked down to prone, then each blow thereafter during that round will receive both the prone modifier and the stunned bonus, while attacks after that round will receive only the stunned bonus and prone condition will be removed).

**** Slowed creatures will move at 50% of their current speed. They will also suffer a -2 penalty to evasion class, reflex CoS, and attack rolls along with the loss of one attack per round (to a minimum of one attack per round).

***** Disarmed character loose all of their attacks for the rest the round he or she was disarmed and the weapon is dropped on the ground (and can be picked up by anyone).

****** Stunned creatures stand helplessly in a motionless stupor. Stunned creatures are considered flat-footed, and creatures attacking them receive a +2 bonus to their attack rolls. Being stunned interferes with being prone and is overridden by paralysis, sleep, and freezing.

If a creature is both stunned and prone, the associated modifiers to an attacker's roll stack, but the prone condition is removed after a single flurry (e.g., if a stunned creature is knocked down to prone, then each blow in the same round will receive both the prone modifier and the stunned bonus, while attacks after that round will receive only the stunned bonus and prone condition will be removed).

******* Blinded creatures are unable to see. This also gives them a 50% miss chance and a -4 penalty to all attack rolls, while giving those attacking them a +2 bonus to attack rolls. Furthermore, a blind creature is considered flat-footed and receive -90% penalty to their Field of View and Range of View. Additionally, there is a -4 penalty to all Skills.

Inner Vision feat negates most of the effects of being blind, leaving only the 50% miss chance. Similarly, Blind Fight feat negates some of the effects of being blind, leaving only the -4 penalty to attack rolls, the -4 penalty to skills, and -90% penalty to their Field of View.

The -4 penalty to attack rolls is for attacking an unseen character. It is not applied multiple times for other instances of not being able to see the target (e.g. if the target is invisible or hidden).

CRITICAL MISS:

When a creature, an NPC, or a player characters roll within the natural critical miss range (1 is the default but may be changed by some feats or item properties) a critical miss confirm roll is made. If a critical miss confirm roll succeeds, they have rolled a critical miss effect. Critical Miss Effect Roll is a simple d20 roll against DC20.

I really hope many of true fans of Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights and Fallout 1&2 will be as happy as I a, when imagining all that in action. I think we can expect really severe, quick battles where every bullet counts.

And as a final titbit let me present new firearm...

M57 AAR:

The M57 Advanced Automatic Rifle (AAR) is a lightweight, magazine-fed .22in (5.56mm) weapon used by the United States Marine Corps during the Past Age, decades before the United Government's foundation. It is intended to enhance an automatic rifleman's maneuverability, displacement speed, and providing independent power supply for relevant attachments, which are charged automatically with every shot fired by the Kinetic Energy Absorber, which is built into the rifle's body.

Due to its impressive tactical characteristics the assault rifle became very popular among various Private Military Companies and was only put into service by the Military Corps much later. Miller's Manufacturing Company was the last corporation (before the Reset) to win the government contract for the M57 AAR's production.

By the 132AR energy weapons have completely displaced firearms within the UG's society, thus this weapon, like any other firearms, are quite rare in the Underearth. Meanwhile, above the surface, this is considered a valuable Past Age relic by survivors and is used extensively by Black Sand mercenaries.

That is all for today. Thanks for your support, and stay tuned!

Hey, guys!

Today we’ve got a brief item update for the After Reset RPG prologue:
    - Repair Kit 'Ishima Engineering' (is used to improve Repair skill);
    - Science Tools 'Kitaro Scientific' (is used to improve Science skill);
    - First Aid Kit 'Astrolis Pharma' (is used to improve First Aid skill);
    - AED Kit 'Astrolis Pharma (is used to revive fallen companions).

REPAIR KIT 'ISHIMA ENGINEERING'

The Repair Kit contains all the essentials an engineer might need to fix pretty much anything constructed by man. It contains a plethora of advanced DIY tools including: General Repair Tools, Computer Repair Tools, Environmental Control and Life Support System Repair Tools, Weapon Repair Tools, FOKRT, HESRT, RRT, MnA EORT etc.

This advanced repair kit is standard issue to all engineering personal working with Ishima Engineering since the beginning of the UG’s Underearth colonization, beginning in 54AR.

Base Item: repair kit.
    Special Effect: +10 to Repair skill.

SCIENCE TOOLS 'KITARO SCIENTIFIC'

The Science Tools, produced by Kitaro Scientific since 101AR, are essentially portable scientific laboratories, programmed with Research Operations Nano-Assistants and the Advanced Hardware Data Analyzer DA-7, complete with a customizable set of Program Cubes, and other small scientific instruments.

These science kits are widely used by the Science Corps' for field research outside of the UG colonies, as well as forensic crime units. The powerful hardware cores are also frequently used by engineers for data analysis, and even the hacking of electronics.
    Because of it’s widespread use it became available for civilian purchase in 102AR, but was soon put back on the restricted materials list after black market knock-offs dealt a crippling blow Kitaro Scientific’s cash flow.

Base Item: science tools.
    Special Effect: +10 to Science skill.

FIRST AID KIT 'ASTROLIS PHARMA'

This First Aid Kit is a portable boxed collection of supplies and equipment for use in giving first aid. Produced by one of the major UG corporations - Astrolis Pharma, these kits are commercially available since 130AR.

The contents can be used to stop bleeding, open restricted airways, thicken/thin the blood, reduce pain and inflammation, and treat first-response trauma. It also has masks, gloves, syringes, Geiger counter, and other basic medical equipment.

Base Item: first aid kit.
    Special Effect: +10 to First Aid skill.

AED KIT 'ASTROLIS PHARMA'

The Automated External Defibrillator Kit (or AED) is a portable electronic device that automatically diagnoses life threatening cardiac arrhythmias in a patient, such as ventricular fibrillation and ventricular tachycardia, and is able to treat them in order for the heart to reestablish an effective rhythm, and can sustain a mortally wounded subject for 24 hours (but they will still need medical aid).

Produced by Astrolis Pharma, this portable medical equipment became standard issue for all trauma units, hospitals, and ground outposts for the UG since 130AR.

Base Item: aed kit.
    Special Effect: performs d20 roll + Fortitude CoS against DC30 death to revive yourself (passive roll) or your companion (activated roll) if you have a companion in your party and you or he/she has this item in inventory.

SEE YOU IN THE NEXT UPDATE!

Well, guys, that is all for today. Thanks for your support, and stay tuned!

Field news: Money, factions, items

We’ve had some tough weeks since our graphic novel campaign, but as we promised all $40+ backers have received Co-Founder status on After Reset official forum, and you should have access to all the VIP sections with the extra content. If you forgot to claim you Co-Founder status, just contact us via Kickstarter and we’ll get you setup. Once again, thank you for your support.

MONEY: DIRECT PLEDGES AND KICKSTARTERS

By tradition, I want to keep you all updated about our direct pledges that we’ve received through our Store page. As you can see by the end of March we have 338 backers with $14,071 pledged. That means that we got $4,026 from 91 new backers in March.

Unfortunately, we're still waiting for the money from the Kickstarter to arrive through Amazon Payments, but it looks like we’ll get $11,557 from the $14,299 originally pledged on Kickstarter. You might be surprised that they take such a big chunk, but that’s how it works. Everyone gets their 5% (Kickstarter fees, Amazon fees, Bank fees), and it adds up fast.

GAME STORY: FACTIONS AND TECHNOLOGIES

There are many different factions that emerged from the ruins of the former United States, and most of them have forgotten what it was like before the Reset (the “Past Age”). Only second-hand stories and verbal accounts of the apocalypse remain for most of the world, with the UG being one of the few exceptions. During your adventures (taking place after 132AR) through the Great Desert and State of Eagle, you will be able to meet five global factions.

These factions have spread among many other territories of the former US and represent enough power and/or influence to be regarded as global factions, including the following:

1. The Indian Alliance (one of the largest and first formed union within the former US, formed by tribes of people with native Indian blood);

2. The New Confederacy (a very young union comprised of individual cities or settlements of survivors);

3. Black Sand (a small but wide-spread mercenary faction, founded by the principles of PMC and/or the Pinkertons);

4. The United Governments (peoples of the Past Age, digging out on the surface from their underground cities);

5. Stalkers (very small groups of people somehow connected to the Artifacts left by aliens during the Reset).

These global factions represent different societies, different views, morals and beliefs:

1. The Indian Alliance has been naturally formed by many tribes of descendants of the Indians which were almost completely vanished or assimilated during the Past Age. They believe that the Gods destroyed the invasive civilization of the Past Age to save their ancestors and bring them to the celestial world, that those of their ancestors who deserved it were taken to that world, and those who remained on Earth should live decently and with respect to the traditions of the tribes, and earn the right to be invited to the land of Gods. The Indian Alliance is based on the Toltecs’ traditions, and they’re generally very racist towards non-Indians. They allow slavery (in Toltec’s or Aztec’s style), but mostly don’t need it. They are relatively prosperous in the apocalypse, with a strong sense of cultural identity.

2. The New Confederacy is based on hate and fear of the UG, and they approve of slavery in the same style as the Roman Empire, which drives their ideology and symbolism from the history of American Revolutionary and Civil Wars, as well as their economy. It is still in its infancy, and thus overcoming growing pains, but is quickly rising and aiming to become the dominant faction of the region, and adopts the US traditions, as well as Machiavellianism.

3. The Black Sand’s mercenaries, founded by descendants of the PMC personal, are a very small and closed-off militarized society that brings up its members mostly within itself like it was in ancient Sparta, and following some kind of impartial Mercenary Codex. Though technically neutral, their members are known and feared in most regions of Eastern America by 132AR.

4. The United Governments must be the most understandable for readers and players. Once they were a united human civilization of roughly 2100+ years (on the Gregorian calendar). During the Reset, this globalized human society converted into a canned version of a sci-fi future society, with a similar backstory to the Japanese after the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

5. Stalkers. Before the Dallas Incident, there hadn’t been much evidence regarding their existence, only rumors and stories among survivors who caught brief glimpses of them, or the strange Artifacts they seemed to revere and protect. Rumors suggested that the Artifacts are actually alive, that they could ‘talk’ with certain special people, even ‘change’ them in strange and often unpredictable ways. Others simply disappeared, though there are few who claim to have witnessed it. There’s simply more questions than answers when it comes to the Stalkers.

Each of these global factions has a unique style of life and relevant technology level:

- LOW: The Indian Alliance has the lowest Tech Stage due to their conservative traditions. Mostly technologies up to the 19th century can be found among their tribes.

- FAIR: The New Confederacy’s Tech Stage features mostly 20th century equipment.

- NEXT-GEN: The Black Sand’s mercenaries use tech from beyond 21th century, but those are still regarded as out-of-date to the United Governments.

- CUTTING-EDGE: The United Governments has all the tech from the 22nd century and beyond, since they have still been researching and developing new methods during their underground live confinement.

- UNKNOWN: Stalkers are as mysterious as the Artifacts themselves.

GAME DESIGN: CONCEPT ARTS

Following the technology reveals, I need to say that within wide territories of the game, you’ll mostly find only tech in the LOW-FAIR range. There are only a few Black Sand outposts, and UG forces are very rare (frankly the Gyes bunker could be the only one revealed outpost of the UG in the Great Desert), and this is where you’ll begin your journey. You’ll initially be surrounded by technology that you’ll probably take for granted, but as soon as you begin your exploration in the world of After Reset, this will change drastically and you’ll have to adapt to survive.

We’d also like to show you several concepts of the weapons that you’ll be able to use in the Steam EA prologue, available this summer. I always tend to make After Reset setting the most realistic it can be, while still honoring the best traditions of Hardcore Science Fiction.

When we’re working on concepts, it means that we consult and discuss them with scientists, engineers, sociologists, physicists, futurologists etc. When we work on weapons concepts we begin from the real technologies, and extrapolate them into possible futuristic alternatives. Than we do the same for design and other relevant links. Our final concepts will always reflect that research, and as you can see there are no any extraneous or unreasonable details on them. These weapons really can (and probably will) be made in the future. Enjoy!

PHELAR-17:

The PHELAR-17 (Personal High Energy Laser Assault Rifle) is a high-tech weapon that emits a concentrated photon impulse of coherent light, with a sufficient wattage to do considerable damage. PHELAR effectiveness is proven at mid-range distances, and served the Police and Security departments of the United Governments well. Mass production began in 53AR.

With the compact high-energy sources availability and scattering issues solved laser weapons became very popular during the underground expansion of the UG. Having no recoil or ejected shells, and no gravitational effect on beam trajectory, laser weapons have almost completely displaced firearms on the arms market and on the streets of underground cities by the 67AR.

These energy weapons can be powered by Fusion Cells or by the more advanced modifications like Fusion Cells GO (Ground Operations).

PHELAR-17Mk2:

The PHELAR-17Mk2 (Personal High Energy Laser Assault Rifle, Mark II) is a high-tech weapon that emits a concentrated photon impulse of coherent light, with a sufficient wattage to do considerable damage. Compared to its predecessor, it is has enhanced durability, radius and damage, and was redesigned by its manufacturer, MARPCO, for military ground operations.

With the compact high-energy sources availability and scattering issues solved laser weapons became very popular during the underground expansion of the UG. Having no recoil or ejected shells, and no gravitational effect on beam trajectory, laser weapons have almost completely displaced firearms on the arms market and on the streets of underground cities by the 67AR.

By the 109AR, when returning to the surface became possible, military contractors launched new programs on assault and defense weapons modifications on common armament and equipment. The Mark II modification was originally developed by the small family company, Jeremy Glover & Sons, but they were acquired by MARPCO right before it won the government contract for the PHELAR-17Mk2 development and manufacturing.

These energy weapons can be powered by Fusion Cells GO (Ground Operations) or any other modifications of Fusion Cells.

PHELP-14:

The PHELP-14 (Personal High Energy Laser Pistol) is a high-tech weapon that emits a concentrated photon impulse of coherent light, with a sufficient wattage to do considerable damage. Being a compact sidearm variant of the previous rifles, PHELP was used for close range encounters by the Police Departments and corporations’ security units within underground megapolises of the United Governments since 53AR, right before the beginning of the period of Underearth Colonization of UG history.

That kind of energy weapons can be powered by Microfusion Cells or by its advances modifications like Microfusion Cells GO (Ground Operations).

PHELP-14Mk2:

The PHELP-14Mk2 (Personal High Energy Laser Pistol, Mark II) is a high-tech weapon that emits a concentrated photon impulse of coherent light, with a sufficient wattage to do considerable damage. Compared to its predecessor, it is has enhanced durability, radius and damage, and was redesigned by its manufacturer, MARPCO, for military ground operations.

By the 109AR, when returning to the surface became possible, military contractors launched new programs on assault and defense weapons modifications on common armament and equipment. The Mark II modification was originally developed by the small family company, Jeremy Glover & Sons, but they were acquired by MARPCO right before it won the government contract for the PHELP-14Mk2 development and manufacturing.

These energy weapons can be powered by Microfusion Cells GO (Ground Operations) or any other modifications of Microfusion Cells.

MA7 OFFENSIVE CONCUSSION GRENADE and ML1 CQC STUN GRENADE:

The MA7 Offensive Concussion Grenade is designed to produce casualties during close combat with explosive wave power alone while minimizing danger to friendly forces. The grenade is also used for concussion effects in enclosed areas, and for blasting or demolition tasks. The shock waves (overpressure) produced by this grenade when used in enclosed areas are greater than those produced by its earlier counterparts. It’s very effective against enemies located in bunkers, buildings, and fortified areas.

Advances in explosive potency and reliability for this type of grenade are based on cocrystallization technology, was already thoroughly studied by Weisskopf Dynamics and many other small corporations before the Reset, and there hasn’t been any major improvements on it since.

The principle of explosive fillers of the grenades lays in science that most solid materials consist of crystals - with atoms and molecules arranged in a specific pattern that repeats itself time and again. Cocrystallization involves combining two materials into a new crystal architecture with the goal of producing an improved material.

The ML1 Close Quarters Combat Stun Grenade, also known as a flash grenade or a flashbang, is a non-lethal offensive weapon. The first stunning devices were created long before the Past Age but lost popularity among civil and military structures by the end of it in favor of other more radical solutions.

The first and only civil mass unrest within underground cities of the United Governments happened in 87AR revived the demand for suck kind of cheap non-lethal incapacitants. The SW55 Flash Grenades that were in service at the time of that civil unrest (nick-named ‘Riot of Cans’ by mass media) revealed a range of constructive impairments. Based on that experience the Weisskopf Dynamics with the support from other minor corporations managed to get a long-term contract from the UG Social Corps to produce a new type of of non-lethal stun grenade, one that was safer and more effective. Like many other explosives, this grenade is based on the same cocrystallization technology, actively lobbied by Weisskopf Dynamics.

The principle of flashing and stunning fillers of the grenades lays in science that most solid materials consist of crystals - with atoms and molecules arranged in a specific pattern that repeats itself time and again. Cocrystallization involves combining two materials into a new crystal architecture with the goal of producing an improved material.

And our first sketches of them:

Game mechanics: Weapons

Hi guys,

I’m working hard on our SACPIC game mechanics and (as a player) it looks like one of the most sophisticated and interesting game mechanics I’ve ever seen. In this update I’d like to share some info about our weapons system and mechanics. The following assumes that the Initiative roll has been made and it’s your turn to attack. Enjoy!

WEAPON TYPES:

*Small sized characters use 1-handed weapons in two hands and cant use 2-handed weapons.

** Any character using a weapon out of its effective range will suffer a -20 penalty to hit.

*** Damage 1d8 if character is Large build, 1d6 if Medium, 1d4 if Small.

**** Any character fighting with a ranged weapon (except for throwing weapons) in melee will suffer a deadly -10 to hit. The enemy attacking him with a melee weapon will get +6 bonus to hit.

TWO-WEAPON FIGHTING:

CRITICAL HIT:

A critical hit is a devastating attack that generates more damage than normal. Non-Player Characters are always subject to critical hits (unless immune), but player characters are only subject to critical hits in the Hardcore game mode.

Every weapon has a critical rating (e.g. "19-20/x2") consisting of a threat range and a critical multiplier. When an attack roll is successful and within the critical hits range, a critical hit confirm roll is made. If the critical hit confirm roll succeeds, then the hit is critical and damage is rolled once for each level of the multiplier. All bonuses to damage not specifically excluded from critical hits are added once per damage roll. Examples of sources of damage excluded from critical hits are on-hit properties.

Some creatures have immunity to critical hits, and against these creatures damage is rolled only once, regardless of the critical hit confirm roll (if the critical hit confirm roll was successful against such a creature, a message indicating the immunity will appear in the attacker's combat log).

Several feats, skills and item properties could modify critical hits.

* A crippled character receives -1 penalty to the relevant primary STAT (that penalties stack)

** To make weapon critical hit effect applied the creature attacked must fail random CoS roll against it's DC.

*** Prone creatures are those that are lying on the ground. They are incapacitated and considered flat-footed, losing their dexterity bonus to the evasion class. Creatures attacking a prone individual in melee combat get a +4 bonus to their attack roll, while those attacking with a ranged or throwing weapon get a -4 penalty to their attack roll.

If a creature is both stunned and prone, the associated modifiers to an attacker's roll stack, but the prone condition is removed after a single flurry (e.g., if a stunned creature is knocked down to prone, then each blow thereafter during that round will receive both the prone modifier and the stunned bonus, while attacks after that round will receive only the stunned bonus and prone condition will be removed).

**** Slowed creatures will move at 50% of their current speed. They will also suffer a -2 penalty to evasion class, reflex CoS, and attack rolls along with the loss of one attack per round (to a minimum of one attack per round).

***** Disarmed character loose all of their attacks for the rest the round he or she was disarmed and the weapon is dropped on the ground (and can be picked up by anyone).

****** Stunned creatures stand helplessly in a motionless stupor. Stunned creatures are considered flat-footed, and creatures attacking them receive a +2 bonus to their attack rolls. Being stunned interferes with being prone and is overridden by paralysis, sleep, and freezing.

If a creature is both stunned and prone, the associated modifiers to an attacker's roll stack, but the prone condition is removed after a single flurry (e.g., if a stunned creature is knocked down to prone, then each blow in the same round will receive both the prone modifier and the stunned bonus, while attacks after that round will receive only the stunned bonus and prone condition will be removed).

******* Blinded creatures are unable to see. This also gives them a 50% miss chance and a -4 penalty to all attack rolls, while giving those attacking them a +2 bonus to attack rolls. Furthermore, a blind creature is considered flat-footed and receive -90% penalty to their Field of View and Range of View. Additionally, there is a -4 penalty to all Skills.

Inner Vision feat negates most of the effects of being blind, leaving only the 50% miss chance. Similarly, Blind Fight feat negates some of the effects of being blind, leaving only the -4 penalty to attack rolls, the -4 penalty to skills, and -90% penalty to their Field of View.

The -4 penalty to attack rolls is for attacking an unseen character. It is not applied multiple times for other instances of not being able to see the target (e.g. if the target is invisible or hidden).

CRITICAL MISS:

When a creature, an NPC, or a player characters roll within the natural critical miss range (1 is the default but may be changed by some feats or item properties) a critical miss confirm roll is made. If a critical miss confirm roll succeeds, they have rolled a critical miss effect. Critical Miss Effect Roll is a simple d20 roll against DC20.

I really hope many of true fans of Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights and Fallout 1&2 will be as happy as I am, when imagining all that in action. I think we can expect really severe, quick battles where every bullet counts.

After Reset RPG: KickStarter campaign rebooted!

After Reset RPG - a sci-fi post-apocalyptic role-playing game KickStarter campaign reboots today for the ambitious post-apocalyptic open-world RPG!

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA – July 7th 2014 – Black Cloud Studios™, an independent developer headed by Richard Nixon, have today launched a KickStarter campaign to reboot their old-school open-world post-apocalyptic RPG for PC, Mac and Linux: After Reset RPG.

Since the first trial of KickStarter in November of 2013, when they manage to attract about $50,000 of their $900,000 budget, the developer managed to collect more than $15,000 in direct backing to maintain development and ran another successful KickStarter campaign for a graphic novel prequel to the game, The Fall of Gyes. After Reset also has a following of over 15,000 fans on Facebook and was green lit on Steam in less than five days. Coming to decision to split the game into chapters with smaller goals in order to release the Prologue this fall, Black Cloud Studios is going to KickStarter with new content, an upgraded build of the game, daily updates and smaller goal of $35,000.

After Reset RPG is a classic open-world RPG set on a future Earth that was ruined by a devastating nuclear cataclysm and nearly ending all life on the planet. Developed by grown-up fans of classic hardcore RPGs such as Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur’s Gate and Planescape: Torment and born out of the disappointment of the cancellation of Fallout: Van Buren a decade ago, After Reset RPG has been created by Black Cloud Studios to fill the void for a classic old-school RPG that hardcore fans of the genre have been clamoring for.

Developed with scientific realism and hence aiming to be the first hardcore science fiction video game in history, After Reset RPG features include:
    A post-apocalyptic atmosphere, with more places to explore than Fallout 1 and 2 together had.
    A nonlinear story with the freedom to choose from a ton of branches and endings, which influence the whole setting even beyond the game you play.
    Hardcore game mechanics in the best traditions of D&D and SPECIAL, in which even the process of character creation stretches out into prolonged enjoyment.

With this freedom of choice players can explore a huge world at their disposal, including the Great Desert (formerly known as Nevada) and the State of Eagle (California). But wherever they go the ultimate story will follow them like their own shadow!

PLOT:
    Planet Earth. 132 years after the 'Reset', the thermonuclear apocalypse that ended human civilization. Around one third of the globe is covered by 'Yellow Zones' where the ruins of cities are covered with radioactive dust. In these areas, anarchist survivor groups have taken control where uncontaminated food and drinking water are valued on a par with human life. Another third of the earth is in the agony of the 'Red Zones', the epicenters of the deadly anomalies that arose as a result of a nuclear chain reaction in the atmosphere and the morphing of the planet. The majority of life is not capable of surviving in the Red Zones that makes them a perfect home for mutants. The planet is unrecognizable.

GENRE: RPG.
    TARGET AUDIENCE: 21+, USA, Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand.
    TARGET PLATFORMS: PC (Windows, Linux), Mac OS X.
    COMBAT MODE: rule-based real-time.
    GAME MODE: single-player, co-op.

Hotlinks:
    Game Website: www.afterreset.com
    Kickstarter Page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackcloudstudios/after-reset-rpg-rebooted
    Backstory Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaVW0rZ8d7I
    IndieDB: www.indiedb.com/games/after-reset
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/afterreset
    Deviant Art: www.blackcloudstudios.deviantart.com
    YouTube™ Channel: www.youtube.com/user/MrNixonAFTERRESET
    Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=188581648

Journalists interested in further information, additional assets, media builds or developer interviews are welcome to contact Black Cloud Studios™ by sending an email to mrnixon@afterreset.com.

Post-Apocalyptic Myths Busted. Part I.
    Hi guys,

I thought to publish new video from the game in this update/news. But I feel to share that short series of articles first :)

Recently, in my work designing and analyzing concepts for another weapon from our game, I heard that there hasn't yet been a hard science fiction video game. In complete disbelief, I checked the Internet and Wikipedia. It's hard to imagine my surprise when I came up empty handed.

Yes, the international gaming community has industry standard space operas (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, etc.); space westerns (are you waiting for Firefly too?); purely apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic games (Fallout, Metro, etc.); cyberpunk (Deus Ex, Syndicate, etc.); steampunk (Arcanum, Dishonored etc.); alternate history games (Command and Conquer) and more.

But it turns out that no one has yet made a completely hard science fiction game, despite the fact that since the time of H. G. Wells, it has been considered the original science fiction genre. The difference lies in its strict adherence to scientific laws firmly established at the time of writing. What really made these books stand out was their detailed scientific and technical basis and their realistic extrapolation from that.

It turns out that the relentlessly scientific approach that we've been building into every nook and cranny of our setting since the beginning has the potential to make After Reset RPG the first hard science fiction video game in history.

After discussing this discovery with our team and gaming journalists, I decided to summarize and share some of the most enduring classic myths about life after the apocalypse that we intend to do away with in our game. I remind you that this is intended for an adult audience, and in order to convince that audience of the reality and authenticity of our game, and by the same token to allow the game to really let the players immerse themselves in their characters – it needs to be truly scientifically convincing as well as being based on facts and real world experience.

Well, what are we waiting for? Pour yourself a glass of something cold, lean back in your chair and enjoy…

MYTH #1: NUCLEAR WINTER

Myth: Setting off a large number of nuclear warheads leads to huge clouds of smoke, soot and ash rising into the sky. These thick, black clouds envelop the Earth in darkness. The temperature falls sharply. With complete blackness, low temperatures and falling radioactive residue, all flora and fauna will die, everything will freeze and be covered with dozens of meters of ice and snow. And only the smartest criminals will be able to claw their way out of the bomb shelters and Metro stations to hunt for mutants.

Reality: The Nuclear Winter model was developed and became part of popular imagination during the Cold War. In modern times it has become unlikely. However, the "Sagan-Moiseev" model didn't take into account factors such as the release of greenhouse gasses, heat loss from the earth's surface, the climate's ability to self regulate, and also the fact that fires will burn themselves out. Modern climatologists allow that Nuclear Winter is theoretically possible, but it could not be a consequence even of a massive conflict between Russia and the USA. What would be needed is regular (over many years) blasts in coal mines and other geologically defined places designed for this purpose and a nuclear arsenal over ten times larger than those of all nuclear nations in total.

In After Reset RPG: As a result of the resonant blasts of mankind's combined nuclear arsenal during the Reset a chain reaction in the atmosphere was nearly achieved. Nuclear Winter never came, but the ozone layer was significantly damaged. For reasons not understood by the subterranean United Governments, over the next ten years the Earth underwent a pole shift and some terramorphing-like changes. Together with that, Yellow Zones began to appear, which could support life. For the descendants of those who survived the Reset on the surface that new world is natural. It has been like that their whole lives.

MYTH #2: THE AVAILABILITY OF COMBUSTIBLES

Myth: Like any good character in a casual game or Hollywood film, after having lived through the apocalypse, you start siphoning gas from abandoned cars and gas stations on your wandering way. Fill up your ride and voila, you're back on the road!

Reality: Any combustible, including those used as car and motorcycle fuel, is a chemical compound with a life cycle of its own and therefore an expiration date. After as little as six months to a year, gas is no longer a useable power source for any vehicle.

In After Reset RPG: For the descendants of those who lived through the apocalypse on the surface, combustibles are a rarity. As a matter of fact, so are vehicles with internal combustion engines that derive power from them. Nonetheless, there are rumors about organizations in the New Confederacy having field oil refineries like the ones built by locals during the war in Syria in 2013 C.E. It is also known that some United Government technology by 123 A.R. uses special kinds of liquid fuel.

MYTH #3: WHEELED TRANSPORT

Myth: Whether breaking into an abandoned garage, or just checking the ignition in an abandoned vehicle, you're always exchanging one stylish set of wheels for another one and tearing off into the endless expanse of the Wasteland.

Reality: Even if you're able to find workable fuel and charge the battery, in ideal conditions, without a mechanic these vehicles can only do what they were made to do for 7-15 years more. As soon as the paint begins to peel off (which happens within a few years), corrosion starts eating the metal at a rate of 0,3 inches per year. After 20 years, any car abandoned in a coastal area will already have become an indistinct rusted skeleton. The same fate awaits these man-made constructions in other climate zones in 30-75 years. Man-made metal constructions will last the longest in a dry desert climate. The only consolation, no matter how senseless, is that the tires will stick around for 100 years after the end of the world.

In After Reset RPG: In the arid desert climate of the Great Desert even more than 100 years after the Reset, some parts of some vehicles remain in places as the metal skeletons of the Past Era. In coastal areas of the State of Eagle you barely make out these hunks of metal, long ago consumed by rust and buried in the ground. But tires… you find tires everywhere.

Drooling yet? :)

Then support us and stay tuned for more!