What games are eligible for the Advent Calendar?

Hey RPS -

To tie in with my little "guess gaming" thread for Advent Calendar 2013, I was curious what games are eligible for the Advent Calendar (if you have any strict rules, you may not). Specifically -

*Are games released in December 2012 eligible? Is there a hard cut-off date? For instance, Scribblenauts Unlimited got reviewed very late last year, but it was in November so I'm guessing that failed the cut last year, rather than being eligible for this one.

*Are unfinished episodic games (e.g. Kentucky Route Zero) eligible, or does RPS wait till all episodes are complete?

Thanks!

I believe the Hivemind have said in the past, that a game is eligible for the Advent calendar the year in which it first becomes playable to the public. So, games eligible for this year would have been playable from January 1st 2013 or later, and not before. Your example, Scribblenauts Unlimited, would not be eligible for 2013's Calendar, as it was playable in 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

But the Advent Calendar starts on December 1st. Doesn't that kind of screw over games released in December? Far be it from me to tell these guys how to run their awards system, I'm just surprised. Admittedly, every other website does this, but in my experience they claim (somewhat dishonestly) to consider games from the previous December.

It might have been December 1st, instead of January 1st then, in that case. I do distinctly remember one of the Hivemind saying that games are eligible for the year they first become playable though, whether it was December to December, or January to January.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Yeah, that would make more sense. I'm guessing that's the case until we get official comment :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Previous history would suggest that whatever the hivemind want to be eligible is, whatever they don't want to be isn't.
    They've stated some rules, but I wouldn't make the jumpp to assuming those rules are followed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    *Are unfinished episodic games (e.g. Kentucky Route Zero) eligible, or does RPS wait till all episodes are complete?
    In a time when unreleased games can win all the awards anything goes I guess.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Well basically any game that we've said "this is the year of this game". So if a game came out last year, but we didn't get excited about it until this year, then it's eligible. We're nothing if not consistently inconsistent in our logic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I like that. Some games get blocked out during the holiday releases and do not hit their stride until the next year. Or an update may have come that really props it up. I think the hardest part is going back to the first 6 months of the year and think about what was exciting at the time. Some games may not have long legs but still give great experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    Well basically any game that we've said "this is the year of this game". So if a game came out last year, but we didn't get excited about it until this year, then it's eligible. We're nothing if not consistently inconsistent in our logic.
    Makes sense! Thanks for the clarification.