Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    You should be perfectly fine with the starter package. But of course the Aurora is somewhat of a jack-of-all-trades. It will never be as good in exploration as a 300i, never be as good of a dogfighter like a Hornet etc etc. But from what the devs have said the Aurora will suit new players just fine. It will be able to do everything but not excel at any. So the perfect starter ship.
    Also the devs mentioned that they want players to be able to lend ships to other players, so if you are sick of your Aurora you will surely find someone to lend you something you want to try.

I haven't set up the organization to be anything specific. I doubt it would make sense to have it any other way. At least right now. Usually RPS "clans" are open to anybody and only provide a platform for people to find others to play with. Maybe we should set up specific squads dedicated to mining, trading etc so people find like minded players within the organization a bit easier, but from my perspective they should be about it. But that's of course open to discussion ;)

Also if people are up for more rights withing the organization, hit me up. Best over the RSI website because then I am less like to foget it as I am already on the site.

*edit*
    The lifetime insurance deal is over. When you buy a ship now you only get a "standard" insurance that runs for a few months and then has to be renewed with ingame currency. But the devs have stated that insurance will be very small and you will mostly not even notice it besides all the other costs like fuel and ammo.
    Last edited by bonkers; 24-01-2014 at 01:17 PM.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Network Hub
    Thx for the replies.

I'm quite taken back by how much information is available on a game that hasn't even been released yet and I am trying hard not to get too caught up in the excitement and spend a stupendous amount of money on digital content that I'm not even sure I will get "full value for money"-enjoyment out of (in my book if I get 1 hour game play per 1 spend it was worth it).

Is there any solid information on whether the starter packages with ships included (other than the Aurora) will disappear once release happens or if they will continue to be available even after release? (because I am so much eyeing the Cutlass but really can't justify the investment .. but oh so tempted .. but really shouldn't .. and repeat ad nauseum)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    It's distinctly possible all bar the starter Aurora package will go, as the main point is to earn the ships in-game through whatever means, but there'll be a clear warning before then. As bonkers suggested, the Aurora should be fine for you, at a push the 300i, but really the Aurora should be fine.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Last thing I heard was that after finishing the singleplayer campaign the devs want you to have enough money to buy a small ship. This will most likely be the Aurora or Mustang (another announced "starter" ship, but more geared towards speed and combat). So it looks like the starter packages including a ship will go away later on and people who buy their package now will have the advantage that they can use the money earned through singleplayer to outfit their ship (or save for a bigger one).

You can also skip singleplayer but then you will have little to no money to start with in the MMO part and wont be as flexible as you will have to do jobs where a ship is given to you.
    But keep in mind that this is all still under development. It could very well turn out to remain the case that every starter package includes an Aurora/Mustang. But from what the devs said in the past I wouldn't bet on it.
    -remove spaces-

Network Hub
    Went for the Aurora LN package - at least for starters ... guess I will have to work my way up to the Cutlass ;)

Thanks for the input, y'all!
    Looking forward to actually being able to play the game (and please please please have support for the Saitek X52 stick).

They're being quite adamant on providing the best experience. I wouldn't worry about joystick support.

I am pretty sure they will support almost anything that's out in the wild. I still have an old Saitek Cyborg Evo but I will buy something new when SC is released. I current use it to replay the old Wing Commander titles and dear lord that joystick has absymal dead-zones. I really don't know if this has always been the case or it's just time nagging on the hardware.
    -remove spaces-

any benefits of joining the rps organisation so far?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Hipster benefits, as in "I was in the organization before it was cool."

Pretty much. All there is to see is the XMPP chat (which you can also access via an XMPP chat client).

Also, on a slightly less related note, my joystick broke an hour ago while playing Wing Commander 4. The trigger stopped working. Really not sure if I wont to continue playing with my mouse. It feels... weird. Also the only maneuver enemy pilots seem to know in this game is the ramming one. Really annoying.
    Last edited by bonkers; 25-01-2014 at 11:15 PM.
    -remove spaces-

Do they call you a "noob rammer" with a straight face afterwards? That would make them indistinguishable from some War Thunder players.

ok well I sent my "application".

oh and change it to "Official". there is no other one yet, and this is the proper RPS organisation. You have my Seal Of Approval™
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Cheers ;D

quantaAPPROVED.jpg
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Hipster mode on: I was in the organization before it was official.

It's already working!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I was under the impression it was 'official' if it had the support from one of the staff?