Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    I got access to Arena Commander and frankly I'm not too impressed with the combat as it stands. That said I've only got the crappy entry-level ship so it's hard to get a good feel for things..
    Theres a key that makes things so much more fun, and I struggle to understand why its not turned on by default. I think its the f key, that locks your cursor to the middle of the screen. Makes it so much more manageable to fly.

The controls arent ideal, which is what makes combat feel a bit off. Give it war thunder style controls and youd have yourself a cracking game.
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Arena Commander is now open to all with alpha access! The post below also includes some tipps. Try practicing in solo flight mode first, then go into Vanduul swarm, then Battle Royal. The controls are quiet tricky and can be confusing to frustrating at first.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...ayer-Available
    Last edited by bonkers; 06-08-2014 at 11:21 PM.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Theres a key that makes things so much more fun, and I struggle to understand why its not turned on by default. I think its the f key, that locks your cursor to the middle of the screen. Makes it so much more manageable to fly.
    Oh my! That's great, I wish I had known about it before.

Obscure Node
    Tried the MP component earlier and just failed totally at it, having no fun at all. The Vanduul Swarm solo option is alright-ish, but quickly got very dull. I'm still really interested in this game as it goes along, but I'm going to have to give it some time before I re-pledge. I've put my pledge back into store credits so I can choose something closer to what I want when the time is right.

Meanwhile, I've been loving Elite: Dangerous and have started an RPS in-game and steam group, but am not able to post new threads - I'm not sure what the criteria are for that. As such erm, perhaps someone who's playing this might also be playing the Elite beta and would start a thread called Rock, Paper, Sidewinder with a brief link to the steam group ( http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rockpapersidewinder ) I could post the 2nd post at least. I would also be... grateful!

If someone does that, maybe they could email me at a/delicate/balance/@/gmail/./com (remove slashes) to let me know. If not, s'all good. I'll figure out some way to get a thread posted :)

Quote Originally Posted by A Delicate Balance View Post
    Tried the MP component earlier and just failed totally at it, having no fun at all. The Vanduul Swarm solo option is alright-ish, but quickly got very dull. I'm still really interested in this game as it goes along, but I'm going to have to give it some time before I re-pledge. I've put my pledge back into store credits so I can choose something closer to what I want when the time is right.

Meanwhile, I've been loving Elite: Dangerous and have started an RPS in-game and steam group, but am not able to post new threads - I'm not sure what the criteria are for that. As such erm, perhaps someone who's playing this might also be playing the Elite beta and would start a thread called Rock, Paper, Sidewinder with a brief link to the steam group ( http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rockpapersidewinder ) I could post the 2nd post at least. I would also be... grateful!

If someone does that, maybe they could email me at a/delicate/balance/@/gmail/./com (remove slashes) to let me know. If not, s'all good. I'll figure out some way to get a thread posted :)
    let me know what the thread title is, Ill start it and you can fill it up, k?

you need 10 posts minimum to start threads.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Obscure Node
    Oh right, well I guess I've nearly made it to 10 posts then, so I will just do it myself soon, save it getting weird, but thanks for offering, Quanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Oh my! That's great, I wish I had known about it before.
    Yeah I think its control + f actually, looking at the shortcuts.

@ a delicate balance, its probably a good idea for you to keep your original pledge package, just in case you lose the benefits associated with it. You wont get everything that was in your original package if you wait and go with a different one later.

For instance, they removed the ability to access certain things from packages after a certain milestone a while back. (alpha, beta, etc stuff).

Ive got my aurora, and apparently you will be able to switch to the mustang when that comes out if you want, as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Yeah I think its control + f actually, looking at the shortcuts.
    I've just tried, it is ctrl+f
    Makes the game much better for me. Thanks.

May I request invitation yo the Elite Steam group? Not playing the beta yet, but I will definitely play the release. With the Rift,if the commercial version is available!
    Steam handle is Zanchito. Thanks!

Obscure Node
    And done good sir.
    I also intend to get an OR once the full version comes out... next year?

What with this being my tenth post I should be able to make a thread for the Elite group. In the morning though. Getting late now.

So apparently capture the core has been released. Anyone tried it? I'm having some trouble with my installer so I haven't had the chance yet.

Tried it. It's promising. The map is just too small. It's currently way too easy to just afterburn away once you have the core. You cannot catch up with a 300i and a 300i lacks the firepower to take down a Hornet before it can score. So pretty much everyone except Auroras are pretty much certain to score as long as your own core hasn't been taken.
    It's fun, but also a bit "unrefined" at the moment.
    -remove spaces-

The whole control f thing improves flight, but I still find the flight controls to be horribly awkward.

They certainly need to sort out different levels of flight control, perhaps like in war thunder.

Currently, mouse and keyboard flight is just too crappy.

There are too many buttons to be able to actually navigate everything and still be able to fight.

The primary problem (imho) is that the maneuvering thrusters over-steer too much. You can compensate that by avoiding rapid movements, but it could need some more work. Also despite the many keys of a keyboard it's too fiddly to go in and out of decoupled mode, which is necessary to survive in a dogfight.
    -remove spaces-

Combined with the fact that some of these settings should be on from the start.

Its just too wobbly in general... Idk what it feels like to fly with a stick, but most people will be using their keyboard and mouse to play most of the time, so it needs to be spot on.

So the next patch (in about two weeks) will have 6-degrees of freedom support as well as custom keybindings. That should resolve at least some of the issues.
    -remove spaces-

please let this game lie until its done.

Obsessing about it when nothing is finished is quite counterproductive ;D
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    please let this game lie until its done.

Obsessing about it when nothing is finished is quite counterproductive ;D
    On the contrary my friend, obsessing about it constantly is fun, and therefore productive ;)

-remove spaces-

If you want to you can try Star Citizen for free during next week

Also the racing module is planned to be released next week with a big patch. If you are lucky you will be able to experience that too. I guess that this was even the plan behind the promotion but now the patch turns out to be late.

PS: You get an Aurora for free during the promotion. Not the best racing or combat ship, more of an starter level jack-of-all-trades and yet better than most people make it to be.
    Last edited by bonkers; 31-08-2014 at 08:48 PM.
    -remove spaces-