Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

sublime "driving" games?

I play a lot of Outrun so when I came across creator Yu Suzuki's words that Outrun is not a game about racing, but about driving I realize that's the reason that I enjoy it so much (this also extends to Ridge Racer). The game is not really about passing others and constantly fighting to lead the pack, but enjoying the drive, scenery and mastering the mechanics.

So I'm wondering if there is anything that can similarly be enjoyed in a light and breezy way while listening to some good jams.

It might be such an obvious choice you've already considered it, but I'll suggest it anyway.

Euro Truck Simulator 2

Driver: San Francisco!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The Test Drive Unlimited games are exactly what you want. Sit back, relax, just drive and listen to jams. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-retrospective

Burnout 2 on the dolphin emulator/gamecube - switch off the music and play your own - is another excellent choice. To date, Criterion's best Burnout game and actually offers the opportunity to just play and master the game at your own pace.

I haven't played it - yet - but I would imagine Project Cars offers something similar to what you want.

Oh yes, the only good thing about GTA4. Cruising around the city. For extra relaxing session, pick a really far of drop off point in a taxi. Let the game choose the scenery and camera angles for you and just enjoy the music and views; the camera picks some really snazzy views through the windows.
    Last edited by khaz; 21-11-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Well that's all I do in GTA San Andreas.

And in netKar PRO I mostly cruise around with music on, and just enjoy the car and its physics.

Off Road Drive has nice scenery, and it's way more fun when you don't race it.

Maybe, if are into flying, Aerofly FS could be sth for you. It's not complicated at all.
    Last edited by bad guy; 21-11-2013 at 08:14 AM.

I like, and would recommend, most of the games listed in this thread, but for pure aimless driving I gotta second Test Drive Unlimited 2 most of all. The huge open world in it means you can pretty much just drive on forever and take the scenery in.

Here's a video I made of just that:

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Driver: San Francisco!
    Comes with the added bonus of having great jams.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    Comes with the added bonus of having great jams.
    Indeed the soundtrack was great. Rocksteady by Aretha Franklin!

Network Hub
    Fuel is a bad racing game but a great driving one.
    If you don't mind a lot of off-road, it's huge and varied and sometimes quite beautiful.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I just wanted to say that Outrun is one of the best games I've ever played.

Also:

Activated Node
    I also love playing Outrun and yes i prefer driving then racing, so my sublime driving game of recent years is GTA4.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Outrun 2006 is astonishingly good if you can find it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'd be really surprised if he hasn't played Outrun 2/SP/2006.

Quote Originally Posted by bad guy View Post
    Well that's all I do in GTA San Andreas.
    This is a good one. The driving isn't realistic by a long shot, but it's a great game to just cruise around in, listening to music (especially if you've found a car you like).
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    My favourite thing to do in any racing sim is to not actually race at all, I usually pick a hill climb (Transfagarasan is a good one) or other point-to-point course, some sort of road car (rFactor's Mini Z-car mod being one of my favourites; classic Minis with mid-mounted motorbike engines) and then just attack the course as fast as I can. Assuming I manage to finish without killing the car, my times end up being shit because I usually overspeed into most corners and crash spectacularly, but when I accidentally happen to nail a sequence of turns or even string a competent run together it's a great feeling. Not much fun without a wheel and a shifter though.

Whoa, I think I just fell in love with Euro Truck Simulator 2. Sheffield to Rotterdam? Don't mind if I do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    I loved TDU2, but upon trying to reinstall recently, it wouldn't let me log in to my account, the password retrieval system doesn't work because the Devs have shut down and I can't create a new account.

I tried Fuel after buying it on a sale, because it has a massive wadge of terrain to explore, but the driving in it just feels a bit off, which negates the whole experience. Quite looking forward to Drive Club, which has about 5000 sq KM to drive about in and sounds like the closest thing to a TDU successor we're going to get.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I potter about in ARMA 2's free play, sometimes it'll suggest a mission like "go over 60mph for 10 seconds" and I'll wrap my car around a tree, but mostly I ignore the combat missions. The rest of the time it's just me, my Soviet manufactured car and my map and compass.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FuryBoy86 View Post
    Whoa, I think I just fell in love with Euro Truck Simulator 2. Sheffield to Rotterdam? Don't mind if I do.
    That built-in web-radio in ETS2 is a genius move. Put some smooth jazz on, lean back a bit and cruise from Berlin to Vienna overnight.

I've had my own tunes on - Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie, and a bit of Yes when I drove to Scotland. I've played it for four hours today.