Dead End Thrills Appreciation.

I wanted to make a point of saying that the Dead End Thrills articles have been a real highlight on the site lately. Not that the regular program is bad or anything, Just that the interviews are insightful, and give an interesting look at areas of Gaming/Game Development that don't get much of a look in normally.

So good job on the collaboration!

Thanks, we're really pleased with them.

Really liked that last piece about generating music. As a musician, I'm used to think that music is composed once, and then the arrangements perhaps change over time as different artists perform it and so on. But to generate the whole thing semi-automatically from basic building blocks, that's just all kinds of weird and fascinating. And fresh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Really liked that last piece about generating music. As a musician, I'm used to think that music is composed once, and then the arrangements perhaps change over time as different artists perform it and so on. But to generate the whole thing semi-automatically from basic building blocks, that's just all kinds of weird and fascinating. And fresh.
    Well, it's not like the concept is entirely new. Certainly not in videogames...

I have also been enjoying the Dead End Thrills articles, though. More of this sort of thing would be more than welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Well, it's not like the concept is entirely new. Certainly not in videogames...
    Oh, of course it's not entirely new. It just feels fresh to me, because I've just dabbled with traditional composing and arranging, and never properly thought about doing it, you know, randomly. Which immediately catches my attention, being that I'm also a statistician by profession.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    It's essentially just giving a computer the tools to improvise. Not a novel idea within or without the world of computer games, but rarely done well.

And yes, the Dead End Thrills articles have been great.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    +1 for the dead end thrills combo.

The Outrun one brought back some wonderful memories of spending months and months in an arcade cabinet. :)