Network Hub

Fall Synapse Double Elimination tournament!

Hello everyone how are you today?

This is just a friendly post to inform you all that Registration has begun for the 2011 Fall frozen synapse double elimination tournament! Its a double elimination tournament that will be held during the season of fall and you can use this thread to discuss that.

You cant use this thread to register for it however, that would be wrong. Instead you use this FORM! which does all the work for me. But wait! don't Register yet! There is a new snag, a new rule. You must complete a minimum of one (1) complete game on UK1 server. If you don't do this I wont add your name to the sheet and I wont even inform you of this.

The form has 4 questions, the first, your FS ID is required, the second the map types you want. It is strongly encouraged to fill out. The last two are purely survey type questions so that i might have an effective Idea of how to communicate to all of you.

Right, other important information, The deadline is September 23rd, the first day of fall. The tournament is a 12 week max affair with a mix of single elimination and double elimination rounds depending on how many people register (64 or less, all double).

The maps are the same as in the previous tournament, you can get them in the first post of the summer tournament thread. However discussion is re-opened so feel free to discuss and mention problematic maps.

Also anyone who participated in the summer tournament will receive a rank, I will use those in order to setup the initial seeding.

Finally the other rules are open to discussion, though I will stick with the summer rules unless i get a good reason to change.

Finally Im hoping to have some kind of prize for the winners of this tournament, a steam game from my list of ungifted gifts is the most likely result but I will see If I can get something more interesting instead.

Anyway feel free to discuss all these things in the thread. Only thing I dont want to see are registrations cause thers a FORM for that.

Have a nice day everyone.

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    :Cough:Autumn:Cough: Unless you are in the South Hemisphere.

I would like to bring up the maps. Is there any chance we can do the map veto thing again? Last time I hadnt registered in time to object to some maps, and I know there are some I dont like. For instance, all hostage modes. Many disputed, with random placing of boxes. Not only that, but I think symmetrical teams would be better.

Network Hub
    thats true, though i wonder if thers a planet wide naming scheme for the seasons, for dating purposes.

Well hostage as a possible mode has been removed. Disputed's boxes might be deterministic but its also public, so the players can just find out themselves. Also I will remove the one sided snipers from the secure maps, replacing them with mostly shotguns (as the other team gets a shotgun.

Network Hub
    Would be good if you could see your name somewhere, as I think I signed up but it was early in the morning before work and I can't remember if I actually did it or not :P

Network Hub
    Yes but unfortunately I cant make the data only partially public. I can tell you however that no you didnt submit. (assuming you were submitting under the name Web Cole

I've never created a form, but if they end up in a spreadsheet as I think you should be able to "publish" it, which lets you select specific sheets to make public for read only and you could put whatever data you wanted to share there. (Like all of the names?)

See http://docs.google.com/support/bin/a...&topic=1360911 for more. Since this forum supports html, you can even include it right in the thread as an iframe. (I just learned all of this yesterday.)

Quote Originally Posted by Inverselaw View Post
    I will remove the one sided snipers from the secure maps, replacing them with mostly shotguns (as the other team gets a shotgun.
    You might want to do that for all maps. One side having a sniper and another a Shot gun seems to rarely be fair. Either the map is too open and the Shot gun is wasted, or there is too much cover and the Sniper is equally useless.

Sure people can do it, but generally speaking if both players are of similar skill, the lay of the map and units types will determine the victor.

I don't remember if any of the maps had other units that were unbalanced, like say only one player with a grenade or rocket, but again if that happens it can tip the scales in favour of one player over another rather than their own skill being the deciding factor.

Network Hub
    Right however some map types explicitly give 1 extra unit to one side, like hostage for example, hostage isint here anymore but there might be others.

I Usualy didnt allow maps where only one side gets a rocket launcher, because it can just turn into a cover murder game, however Ill have to check again to make sure (We had one of those for instance in I believe a secure match).

Also people didnt like the orientation of cover for the first extermination match, so I think im just gonna reroll that one.

Network Hub
    Hello everyone, In the interest of keeping this thread on the front page, heres a list of everyone who joined so far. If you dont see your name then maybe you should register :)

Jolima
    Crakker
    ColOfNature
    WombatDeath
    CMaster
    Inverselaw
    Web_cole
    imirk
    Majic
    cimethink

Activated Node
    The 23rd is an awful long way away.
    If you want to play some games on the side my user name in FS is Majic.

Network Hub
    Here is the updated player list, still two weeks to register guys.

Jolima
    Crakker
    ColOfNature
    WombatDeath
    CMaster
    Inverselaw
    Web_cole
    imirk
    Majic
    cimethink
    circle2
    bak2213

Signed up. Look forward to getting my arse kicked again :)

Network Hub
    Right so this is the last week for registration. There's still available slots. so join in.

Signed up as well! Need my revenge.
    "What can change the nature of man?"
    Visit my development blog: http://www.indigonflash.com

Network Hub
    Ok two days remain to register.

by the way heres the modified maps for anyone whos curious, Ill reassemble the map pack for the tourney though so there will be only one download to do.

The changes are rerolled extermination 3 and made the units of all secure maps symetrical.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Network Hub
    Last day to register!

Get it while its hot!

Network Hub
    Ok well registration is closed. Here is the list of participants

Jolima
    Crakker
    ColOfNature
    WombatDeath
    CMaster
    Inverselaw
    Web_cole
    imirk
    Majic
    cimethink
    circle2
    bak2213
    Desvergeh
    Sunjumper
    dmbelenk
    Indigon
    ComradePenguin

So The matches start wednesday, ill get the spreadsheet up sometimes before that. If your curious we got alot of votes for light charge so the tourney will be 3 sym. extermination, 2 extermination, 1 secure, 1 disputed, 2 charge and 1 light charge.

The whole thing should take 10 weeks if we stick to the schedule.