Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pinball FX

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    You guys depress me with your mission objective accomplishing high scores; I simply try to prevent the ball from going down the hole.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    You guys depress me with your mission objective accomplishing high scores; I simply try to prevent the ball from going down the hole.
    That's how we all start out but later we get clued in on how to accomplish things on the pinball table. In the old days, you would get advice from the folks watching you play while they waited their turn on the table. These days, the Internet fulfills that role more often than not.

http://blog.zenstudios.com/?page_id=637
    Last edited by Winged Nazgul; 25-11-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    What Winged Nazgul said - I still think I'm not that great (as evidenced by kinglug and Thermal Ions et al comfortably moving up past me) but I have to admit I've got a lot better with time. I started just smacking the ball around, then realised that every time I hit it in a certain way it did X, Y or Z, then started trying to remember the timing that ensured I could always hit it in that certain way. Of course part of the difficulty comes from the fact that the paddles are pretty small and the different spots to get a certain angle of shot can be really, really close together, but if you practice on a table like Sorceror's Lair, start off by trying to get the multiball more often, say, you really can start getting the hang of it surprisingly quickly. The same techniques you pick up doing that can be applied to other tables - they all work in the same basic way, underneath the fancy ramps and bumpers and what have you. It's part of what makes it such an amazing game, for me.

Also, the table guides in the actual game are pretty good if you're wondering precisely what the hell such-and-such a mode or mission or other feature involved. The menus are a tad obtuse, admittedly, but the guides do list I think every single thing you might need to do.

kinglug here.

First time having competition with people. Having lots of fun and learning as I go!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I'll be adding all of you. Profile is in my signature, name is "King Felix." The leaderboards absolutely make this game.
    Last edited by sabrage; 23-11-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Bought it as well. Name's Wolfenswan on Steam. Look for Stalin on a motorbike.

Add AngoraFish please :)

There is only one... http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006984439/
    Last edited by AngoraFish; 23-11-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    OK - I now have 23 friends in the FX2 tables - most of which are above me - this is going well :)

Wow Sex Machine, you can't be serious? :O

All those other highscores over 100 mio were crazy enough for me, but if my highscore table on Sorcerers Lair is not totally bugged out, I am seeing 1,024 mio behind your name ... that's insane! (is that some kind of maxed out points number?)

I'm also having lots of fun in trying to improve myself to at least somewhat compete with you guys, already added lots of guys :)
    My Steam profile

The pun-less, but not fun-less RPS Pinball Steam group

Add me if you like. The name is the same here as there, dimensionQ. I am not that great at pinball, so especially add me if that describes you. Otherwise, add me anyway. I like seeing how much better everyone else is than I am.

Obscure Node
    I'd like to join the pinball fun!

I'm Pseudonym on Steam. My avatar is a dragon (Nicol Bolas, if you play M:TG)

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Splendid!!

... and I wasn't even aware of this thread. This is just great, as I'm currently playing the crap out of PFX2, much to the detriment of the rest of my games library.

I'm gonna try to add all of you people in order of your posts (this could take a while), feel free to add me as well in the meantime (my Steam ID, the avatar looks somewhat like Dave Grohl).

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    I'd like to join the pinball fun!

I'm Pseudonym on Steam. My avatar is a dragon (Nicol Bolas, if you play M:TG)
    You might have to narrow that down a bit. It comes up with hundreds of others also named Pseudonym. I'm having trouble finding one with a dragon avatar. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack :D

Feel free to send me a friend invite though. My profile is in my sig.

*Edit* I think I've found you. Sent an invite anyway.

Added most of those here. Surgeon J on Steam.

I am a flipper masher who doesn't read the table manual. My presence will mostly help you feel better about your high score table position, but it's good for me to have some improvement to aim for :)

Edit: me: Surgeon J
    May be a Steam server glitch but most name searches don't work for me atm, profile links are the only way I can find some people.
    Last edited by Colonel J; 24-11-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
    May be a Steam server glitch but most name searches don't work for me atm, profile links are the only way I can find some people.
    I'm having the same problem. Wolfenswan, for one, doesn't seem to exist at all. Also got an error when trying to send an invite to someone (I've added about five people in eight years, so maybe Steam just got overwhelmed by the sudden activity now...).
    If people don't have me on their lists, it's probably best if they add me. Not sure I can right now.

Question: Is that enter-your-initials LCD screen at the end of a game of any importance? I know some tables show the scores with initials if you wait long enough, but is that purely a local thing or does it matter for the leaderboards whether you save or not?

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Yeah, Steam people search isn't too reliable it seems. If I haven't added you to my friend's list by now, that's why.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirbelwurm View Post
    Wow Sex Machine, you can't be serious? :O

All those other highscores over 100 mio were crazy enough for me, but if my highscore table on Sorcerers Lair is not totally bugged out, I am seeing 1,024 mio behind your name ... that's insane! (is that some kind of maxed out points number?)
    You haven't looked at the actual worldwide leaderboards, I take it? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    You haven't looked at the actual worldwide leaderboards, I take it? ;)
    Heh, you are right, I just assumed that because it was such a nice and even number ;) Still, he is in the top 60 with that score, pretty impressive I might say. I'm somewhere around place 8800 or so.
    My Steam profile

The pun-less, but not fun-less RPS Pinball Steam group

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    26 and counting - the easiest way to get invites is to link your profile page tho, because name searches can be cranky and often produce pages and pages of hits...

To get it - hit "Yourusername" and then "Profile" and then right-click (or whatever Mac owners do) and 'Copy Page URL' and you're done.

Looks like this...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/shrewdlogarithm/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Now the depressing bit - you start a table and you get "only 50,000 to beat XXX's" score and then maybe "only 76,000 to best YYYs score" and you're flying and then it says "only 24,000,000 to beat..." and you remember your place in the world ;)