Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Pinball FX

Uhhh okay, total noob question here. What's the use of "locking" a ball?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    So, apparently at the same time I beat Sprocker's Highscore by a few thousdand points Ultrabobbin put up his highscore of 52 odd mil. welp.

That or I misread sth. It's hard reading highscores when you're shaking, your palms are sweaty and your hearts going crazy.

We can change tables now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    So, apparently at the same time I beat Sprocker's Highscore by a few thousdand points Ultrabobbin put up his highscore of 52 odd mil. welp.

That or I misread sth. It's hard reading highscores when you're shaking, your palms are sweaty and your hearts going crazy.
    Yeah, I guess he showed you the next Superscore or something. I also get confused by that from time to time, since it doesn't have to do anything with the current table.

On a related note: I got the topscore back :) Which might explain this:

Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    We can change tables now.
    I don't know man, I kinda like it now! I got my nearly 14 mil. by getting a random 5 mil. bonus and a multiball mode, where like everything gave 100k points.

Quote Originally Posted by Maknol View Post
    Uhhh okay, total noob question here. What's the use of "locking" a ball?
    It's mostly done for some multiball modes. You lock up to three balls and then they are released at once, so you'll play with up to three balls at the same time, which usually means that you'll get a lot of points.
    Last edited by Stirbelwurm; 26-11-2013 at 11:23 PM.
    My Steam profile

The pun-less, but not fun-less RPS Pinball Steam group

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    I don't think I'll put any more effort on V12. That table is the exact opposite of fun.

So I load up World War Hulk for the first time but choose multiplayer by accident. Oh well, might as well get some practice in. Wouldn't you know it I score over 20 million on my first ball with some crazy multi-ball action? Come to find out you only get on the scoreboard in single-player.

And were there always Steam achievements or is that something new?

V12 was the first table I chose after loading the game for the first time. Yep.

On the positive side, we'll get it out of the way from the start, which is nice. It's a good, tough-love warmup for those of us less skillful in the art of bashing a little metallic ball with really unpractical paddles.

Quote Originally Posted by purex. View Post
    V12 was the first table I chose after loading the game for the first time. Yep.

On the positive side, we'll get it out of the way from the start, which is nice. It's a good, tough-love warmup for those of us less skillful in the art of bashing a little metallic ball with really unpractical paddles.
    Didn't know they were using metal balls for cricket!

V12 should be renamed to Hulk; I very nearly broke my keyboard after the ball got eaten by the left lane for the 850th time in twenty minutes.

It's very hard to get any kind of flow on that table, which is probably the main problem with it. At least, I spend 3/4 of the time trying to get ball off the center.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    V12 should be renamed to Hulk; I very nearly broke my keyboard after the ball got eaten by the left lane for the 850th time in twenty minutes.

It's very hard to get any kind of flow on that table, which is probably the main problem with it. At least, I spend 3/4 of the time trying to get ball off the center.
    Agreed. I'll get three good hits in a row and then spend ages hopping off various bits of nothing to get going again. I have a feeling that on the 'better' tables the chance for high scoring will make the gulf between players like myself and the other pinball Kings fairly depressing though...

I think I'm going to add another rule. Since I fully expect that someone will top my score, I'll just say, that the winner of each weekly table gets to choose the next table we are going to play on.

Maybe this is a motivation for some, who want to compete on their favourite table ;)

Today I also managed to get one of them really high scores (at least for me): 220 mil on Sorcerers Lair. Damn, and it was pretty unexpected too, since I couldn't manage to get over 20 mil on that table for the past week or so. That midnight mode or whatever it is called really gets you a lot of points (about 150 mil in my case).

I also really like the design of the Hulk table, but damn, the audio is just too annoying. I don't want the Hulk to tell me his damn life story every time I hit a ramp. I can only play this table with the game sounds turned off now ...
    My Steam profile

The pun-less, but not fun-less RPS Pinball Steam group

The only two ways I've found to get high scores on V12 are:
    - activating the suspension minigame which grants the absurd amount of 5 Mio. points when completed (and likes to instantly drain the ball when ejecting it back to the main field)
    - getting a ramp combo of 6+ (before it's only a few k points, then 1 Mio for each ramp hit)

Problem with the ramps is that you need perfect flow. I find it very hard to get the ball back on a ramp once you accidentantly loose momentum. The suspension seems to be activated by either the targets on the left (no idea how to hit those realiably) or as one of the random rewards from the upgrade hole (you know, the one next to the rightmost ramp which is usually worth 500 points and which you hit every. single. time.)

Has anyone figured out how to keep the ball on the mini-table for longer than 1-2 seconds? The paddles are absurdly short and the ball's gains insane momentum after a single orbit.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirbelwurm View Post
    I also really like the design of the Hulk table, but damn, the audio is just too annoying. I don't want the Hulk to tell me his damn life story every time I hit a ramp. I can only play this table with the game sounds turned off now ...
    I know what you mean but it's still not as annoying as Infinity Gauntlet IMO. Thanos really needs to get laid already.

I actually love the banter in the background. Then again I always get a kick out of the BloodBowl commentators too so I wouldn't put much stock in my opinions.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post

Left lane does my head in!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    My highest score on V12 is in the millions, my lowest is less than 100k.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    The only two ways I've found to get high scores on V12 are:
    - activating the suspension minigame which grants the absurd amount of 5 Mio. points when completed (and likes to instantly drain the ball when ejecting it back to the main field)
    - getting a ramp combo of 6+ (before it's only a few k points, then 1 Mio for each ramp hit)
    The only other thing that's worked for me so far is to keep hitting the multiball which is quite easy to set up - ball locks into the nitro-tank thingy or whatever on the right and the hit the multiball hole on the left anytime you like. Quite easy to hit that accidentally in fact while you're flailing the ball about in the centre (so most of the time). But what do I know, after about 10 goes last night I failed to get anywhere close to the 5mill odd score I did without thinking about it last week and am now 10th or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    My highest score on V12 is in the millions, my lowest is less than 100k.
    This. Me too. Should have a prize for lowest score from a legitimate effort on this hateful table.

Drains to left lane yet again while flailing at left flipper uselessly and too late.

Voiceover: "Oh no..."

*ragequit* and goes to play World War Hulk.

All-time low score on V12 for me - 111,000 and that included 100k for hitting the hidden sinkhole on the first ball launching. I don't think I'll be getting any higher than my current 6th place (probably dropped down by now)
    Last edited by Blackice; 27-11-2013 at 09:11 PM.
    Steam : pngblackice
    Raptr : pngblackice

Made 10 Mio with Ball 1 to then see Ball 2 and 3 drain down the left lane almost immediately.

V12 - not even once.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackice View Post
    All-time low score on V12 for me - 111,000 and that included 100k for hitting the hidden sinkhole on the first ball launching.
    heh. I managed around 69,000 in one game. I was quite impressed.

Fuck. that. left-side. lane