Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node karaquazian's Avatar

so starbound beta

Any other backers here?

So looking forwards to trying out this game, been on my wish list for ages (along side elite dangerous)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    I am still thinking about getting a four pack. This might be something I could play with my girlfriend. Which is really tough because she can't play anything from first person (motion sickness)

The preorder is DRM free and you also get a Steam key or how is this going to work? It'S a bit confusing...
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

You need to use steam for the beta, they are using steam to issue all the updates. They are putting up their own downloader once the final release is out.

It's still drm free though. Not everything on steam has drm.

Obviously the drm free only applies when you are using it in solo mode or hosting your own small group server, if you're playing it in mmo mode you're going to need an account, which is drm.
    Last edited by karaquazian; 27-11-2013 at 02:17 PM.

I bought my girlfriend Terraria and she loved it, and the parts she loved the most were the same parts that Starbound seems to focus on [adventures, phat loot] so if she's anything like my partner, she'll love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Im not sure, it seems less about boss battles than terraria and with more of an emphasis on exploration and role playing (the music stuff, all the cosmetic gear, the spaceship customisation etc..)

Going to be playing it with my daughter though, as she likes stuff like terraria, minecraft and anything platformy. Not so much Mrs k, she's more into your twitch shooters and scary shit I have to turn off like amnesia.
    Last edited by karaquazian; 27-11-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Me and my girlfriend both put over 100 hours into Terraria and we'll be hoping to do the same with this. Both of us have backed it.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Been eagerly awaiting Starbound's beta for ages now, Terraria's 1.2 patch renewed my enthusiasm for the genre so I'm raring to go.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sniper reporting here!.

Waiting for it, but I have the patience a sleeping god.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I've backed but am, like Tei, content to wait.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Me and my girlfriend both put over 100 hours into Terraria and we'll be hoping to do the same with this. Both of us have backed it.
    So have myself and my gf! If I can get her mac laptop to run Starbound it will be great.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor68 View Post
    So have myself and my gf! If I can get her mac laptop to run Starbound it will be great.
    They intend to support Mac at release.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    My problem with betas is that by the time the full game is release I've already burnt it out. I'm waiting this one out.
    Last edited by pakoito; 02-12-2013 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by huw View Post
    They intend to support Mac at release.
    Yeah its pc / MAC / Linux with possible ps4 later.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    My problem with betas is that by the time the full game is release I've already burnt it out. I'm waiting this one out.
    Sure, but in some cases, the game is more polished but not substantially "better" and still under active development when it's technically released (see Terraria, Minecraft and in a completely different genre Dota 2). I find that being burnt out before it's released tends not to be that much different than being burnt out afterwards.

Heck, it increases the odds that if you ever come back to it it'll be an enjoyably fresh experience for you as you're putting not only time but active development between your last play and your more recent one. :)
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Activated Node
    No BETA for me either, but this is one I will be getting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    I have that issue with pretty much every genre but this one. For example I've got beta access for Sir! and War for the Overworld. I played both for about 30 minutes and then said "right, now to wait for launch".

With the like of Starbound, Terraria and Minecraft nearly every update brings in a new and exciting element that will change the game for the better. Terraria and Minecraft are both vastly different now from when their betas began. Both are great value too as everything thats ever been done for them was just patched in instead of sold as DLC.

When Terraria comes out on the Vita this week I'll buy it at full price to make up for the robbery of buying it on PC for less than a prepacked sandwich from a garage.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Think it depends on a combination of the game type and my will power. I agree playing extended betas can burn you out on some games, but I think that's less if an issue in sandboxes like starbound but would absolutely kill a more linear story driven game.

Then there's my willpower, while I might resist the earlier rounds of starbound, I'm afraid with elite dangerous I will HAVE to play it even though its probably a bad idea to go in that early, I've just waited so long for a decent space sandbox, as far back as Privateer.

Would be the case if there was a decent god game in development too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    wait a minuto!

its going to release soonish, no?

hype raised two levels!.

obligatory random internet video

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by tei View Post
    wait a minuto!

Its going to release soonish, no?

Hype raised two levels!.

Obligatory random internet video

tomorrow!!!!!!! Its here tomorrow!