Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Judging on looks is meh

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The game may have more customization / cyber-hoarding stuff now that combat. I suppose you guys are judging based on combat alone. On the equivalent of "level 1" characters in a RPG.

Lets wait and see.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Just a note, you can still buy the game direct from chucklefish even when the beta starts.

Which is good because
    A) more money goes to the devs
    B) if your outside the USA it works out cheaper paying in dollars (weird that its priced in dollars being a largely British game)
    C) you still get a steam key for getting all the updates through steam
    D) after beta you can play it solo, not using steam if you have "evil drm" issues

Will they be mailing keys out or do I check over at the Humble Store?

Hadn't noticed this thread before, but addressing an earlier discussion, Star Sector would be another of those games that seems to have been in development forever.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by karaquazian View Post
    B) if your outside the USA it works out cheaper paying in dollars (weird that its priced in dollars being a largely British game)
    I think that is mainly because it uses the humble store, and everyone knows dollars. Its also in the humble store

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    I think that is mainly because it uses the humble store, and everyone knows dollars. Its also in the humble store
    That explains it. I guess elite dangerous isn't then, because that's in

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Steam keys are out... but Steam don't deliver the game yet. It seems we have to wait about 40 min, maybe less.

I am connected to this, because reasons.
    http://www.twitch.tv/chucklefishlive

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This is a image of a dog.

Not a cat.

Its released, if you haved added your Steam key to Steam, it will shows now. 1.3GB download.
    Last edited by Tei; 04-12-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Just downloaded the game. Do people here wanna try coop? None of my friends actually bought the game.

(by the way first post yay)

Activated Node
    Game's lagging bad on my HD3000 chipset :(
    Oh well...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    You guys & gals getting your Steam versions already?

Also, maybe a good place to ask:

The RPS post talks a bit about there being no 'quest' yet, or in phase two. What is the quest? Is this a pure sandbox if you want?
    Last edited by Smashbox; 04-12-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Obscure Node
    Smashbox, right now the sandbox version plays pretty much like terraria in that progression is based on loot and exploration. When you start a new game in sandbox mode, you're thrown into a random (or maybe predetermined) solar system orbiting over a lvl 1 planet with no fuel to perform ftl jumps or travel to other planets within the system. From there it plays pretty much like terraria in that you gather wood and start crafting tier 1 stuff, which is pretty much identical to terraria (think iron pickaxe). Also, there is a hunger mechanic in the game which requires you to kill things with a bow to collect meat. It's a little unpolished right now from a design standpoint since meat doesn't drop on melee kills but that was probably a balancing compromise.
    You can also beam back up to your ship at any time, though the spot you beam back down to the planet is the same every time. It's also really neat that you can set up workstations inside your ship. I have a campfire sitting in the middle of mine :D

I believe the game will REALLY open up once you can travel to other planets, which I couldn't do in the short time I played in the office :). There are also craftable items that look like they invoke some kind of emergent gameplay, much like the boss items summoned bosses in terraria.

There are so many goodies for people who've played Terraria. Not in an easter egg sense but in little refinements to gameplay and presentation. For instance, trees fall over and gib upon impact with the ground in Starbound. In terraria, trees just disintegrate into their materials which float down from the sky arbitrarily.
    Last edited by ibebyi; 04-12-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    think skyrim without the quests

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    That's how I play Skyrim anyway

Lesser Hivemind Node
    current best seller on steam, beating the likes of asscreed4 and codnowwithadoggy

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    You guys & gals getting your Steam versions already?

Also, maybe a good place to ask:

The RPS post talks a bit about there being no 'quest' yet, or in phase two. What is the quest? Is this a pure sandbox if you want?
    There is a quest in it at the moment. It just guides you in placing a crafting table and working up to a distress beacon to fix your ship. I have ignored the distress beacon part so far as I am hopelessly under developed. Trying to grow my garden.

It fixes so many annoyances from terreria, like you can place torches on anything even the background which is very handy in caves so you don't mine it. Also when you mine its in a 3x3 area with the pickaxe which is great.

Really liking it so far

Lesser Hivemind Node
    you can put torches on background in terraria 1.2

....well at least until you get past the gold / demonite layer, for some reason you cant place them in hell or the lower reaches of the earth where you get diamond, adamantine etc..

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by karaquazian View Post
    current best seller on steam, beating the likes of asscreed4 and codnowwithadoggy
    Totally deserves it too. There are times indie studios feel as shady as the bigger players (think WarZ...) but you can immediately tell this was a labor of love. I don't think I've quite wrapped my brain around the sheer scale of this game. A quest line will certainly help give the game a distinct focus though

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    Hadn't noticed this thread before, but addressing an earlier discussion, Star Sector would be another of those games that seems to have been in development forever.
    I've pretty much given up on Star Sector. I bought in when it looked cool and the freeform campaign was promised...that was about three years ago. In all that time, the dev has focused about 90% of his efforts on incremental updates to combat, it seems. :/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Not sure the game actually deserves it. Having now played it all evening and most of the night, well, it's just extremely tedious. It's a step backwards from Terraria in every department.

Resource gathering is an order of magnitude more time consuming, for crafting I'm actually going to need to wait for the wiki to update before I try again, the combat is crap because enemies are 100% generic and the controls are relatively unresponsive, the exploration is boring because there's basically nothing to see and certainly no items to find, the difficulty curve isn't so much a curve as a sheer cliff.

No, I think I'll go back to Terraria and hope Starbound only sucks right now because it's in beta (and from the state of it they should have given it another 6 months development time before even thinking about a beta release, what I see right now is a game in pre-alpha).