low-res full-screen applications, unstretched?

I don't know the terms necessary to ask this in a concise way, so I'll just spell out what I mean: Is there any way of getting my monitor, when running a full-screen game at a resolution other than the monitor's native resolution, to display it at that resolution (with black bars/border filling the rest of the screen) rather than stretching it to fill the screen? My monitor is a Samsung 2233RZ, if that's relevant.

(I say 'getting my monitor' to do this, but for all I know the stretching might happen before anything gets sent to the monitor.)

Usually there are a couple of options:

1) Your monitor supports hardware scaling. This may be a setting somewhere (along with brightness, etc), that is labeled something along the lines of "Keep aspect ratio" or "fixed ratio" or something. For a cheap monitor, it's unlikely to do this.

2) The other way of doing it is usually in graphics drivers. I know ATI has had options to do it before (I've done it), but I can never find the setting when I look for it. I think nVidia supports this as well. The setting would be named something like I listed above. This is probably your best bet.

Edit: I just looked up where ATI hides the darn setting again. It's hard to get to unless you know exactly where you're going. In advanced mode, go to desktops and displays. In the bottom section where it shows you thumbnails of your screens, right click one or click the arrow. You then hit configure. This is the only way to get to this darn menu that I know of. You can't even get here by using the big picture on the same menu. Or through the drop down at the top. It's absurd. Anyway, the option for ATI users is under Image Scaling, and it's called "Enable GPU Scaling." This has the options of "Maintain aspect ratio," which should be what you want, "scale image to full panel size," which is stretching, and "use centered timings." Yeah, I have no idea either. If the setting doesn't take effect for some reason (it's been glitchy before), there are workarounds. That I'm too tired to go look up again. And none of this matters if you have an nVidia card anyway. I'm off then.
    Last edited by DarkNoghri; 29-08-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Thanks! The 'GPU scaling' option in the ATI drivers is exactly what I was after. Man, this is the kind of thing I wish I'd found out about a long time ago.

(For anyone who ends up here via Google, the setting is in the Catalyst Control Centre (in 'wizard mode' or whatever they call it, the mode with all settings available), in my case under 'Digital Panel (DVI) 1'. The setting I described is 'Use centered timings'.)

Edit: Just saw your edit, it came through while I was typing. Sounds like we got there by different methods, but thanks for bothering to go into detail! I really appreciate your help -- until today this was one of those 'man, there really should be an option to...' things for me.
    Last edited by MD!; 29-08-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNoghri View Post
    1) Your monitor supports hardware scaling. This may be a setting somewhere (along with brightness, etc), that is labeled something along the lines of "Keep aspect ratio" or "fixed ratio" or something. For a cheap monitor, it's unlikely to do this.

And none of this matters if you have an nVidia card anyway. I'm off then.
    My monitor's pretty cheap, and it supports it. The setting on my Fujitsu monitor is called 'native'. Although it's only available when it's receiving a screen that's not the monitor's native resolution.

As for nVidia, as far as I'm aware they used to support it, but their 'support' was so buggy that they just removed it rather than fix it.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus