Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar

Women Fighters In Reasonable Armor - a dedicated blog

http://womenfighters.tumblr.com/

It says something about the state of female-depiction in media that this stuff exists.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Look at the poses. Compare them to the typical poses of male warriors, even in fantasy beefcake. Focusing on armor or skin sort of misses the real problem.

Even in a list like this, many of them are depicted in a sexualized/submissive manner.

Network Hub
    Last edited by Rinox; 29-08-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Look at the poses. Compare them to the typical poses of male warriors, even in fantasy beefcake. Focusing on armor or skin sort of misses the real problem.

Even in a list like this, many of them are depicted in a sexualized/submissive manner.
    Though I'd agree that poses do play a major role i don't see any sexualization/submission in that image (as well as in most of the others). I'd argue the artist is depicting a stereotype connected to character traits not to gender.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    http://womenfighters.tumblr.com/

It says something about the state of female-depiction in media that this stuff exists.
    A good few of the things picked on there shouldn't be.

Are your really telling me she can move well in a fight and not say, get her 3rd cape trodden on and yanked to the floor mid battle?

Although it probably is still safer than a chainmail bikini, it has to be said.
    Last edited by CMaster; 29-08-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post

Are your really telling me she can move well in a fight and not say, get her 3rd cape trodden on and yanked to the floor mid battle?
    It's a magic cape.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    http://warhammervault.ign.com/fms/Image.php?id=997

While it's not particularly feminine or submissive, and it does cover most everything, there is that "STAB HERE PLEASE" bit of cleavage going on.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I cbf going back far enough to see if they're actually on the list, but the women of The Witcher 2 would qualify. Which is a bit of a problem for the 'sex cards, lol' crowd.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Though I'd agree that poses do play a major role i don't see any sexualization/submission in that image (as well as in most of the others). I'd argue the artist is depicting a stereotype connected to character traits not to gender.
    It's a pretty typical model pose. Not a warrior's pose. Something you'd see on a catwalk rather than a battlefield.

It's all about the male sexual fantasies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    The poses may indeed need work too, but come on, it's a start. It's 2011 and we're still seeing women running around in nothing but a kevlar bra and thong.

And in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    The poses may indeed need work too, but come on, it's a start. It's 2011 and we're still seeing women running around in nothing but a kevlar bra and thong.
    That's a step up, considering some fighting games' predilection towards women without bras at all. Bouncy bouncy.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    But that’s because the breasts are so large, there isn’t a bra in any fictional universe that can hold them.

and even if there was a bra that could the game would have destructible clothing. and yes I am aware that that is a real feature in a popular fighting game series. should the game developers be criticized for putting that crap in their games, or are we as much to blame for encouraging it by buying them?

this isn't really about the armour but its the same general point anyway, imo the T&A shot that you see with almost every single woman on a poster should be banned. it makes me do a sad face when I think that even poor Jade from beyond good and evil couldn't escape that indignity.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    A good few of the things picked on there shouldn't be.

Although it probably is still safer than a chainmail bikini, it has to be said.
    that's completely different problem. most male armours, magic robes and even standard fantasy clothing are impractical at best and lethal at worst in combat or outside situation.

i abhor cleavage where it should not be visible. hate catwomen design in Arkham City because of that.

Obscure Node
    Well, the Rule of Cool applies with most of the armours in games, female or otherwise.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    this isn't really about the armour but its the same general point anyway, imo the T&A shot that you see with almost every single woman on a poster should be banned. it makes me do a sad face when I think that even poor Jade from beyond good and evil couldn't escape that indignity.
    See also: Women being introduced to the scene arse-first. It's massively prevalent in films, more so than games even, but still. Needs to fucking die.

Reminds me of this article that has a bit of a go at the League of Legends characer design on the grounds of its depiction of women. Can't remember if I was linked to this by someone on RPS or through twitter.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

http://warhammervault.ign.com/fms/Image.php?id=997

While it's not particularly feminine or submissive, and it does cover most everything, there is that "STAB HERE PLEASE" bit of cleavage going on.
    You could argue that as she's a dark elf, it's kind of deliberate (on her part).

Quote Originally Posted by Jorum View Post
    You could argue that as she's a dark elf, it's kind of deliberate (on her part).
    I loved that game - great for OTT RPers. Greenskins got to be e-hooligans, dark elves got to be all haughty (and greenskins would refer to them mainly as twigs); You have one side as the Spanish Inquisition meets the Third Reich, and the other side was just plain crazy. Plus, as a female DoK, not only was I covered completely, but there was very little physical difference between my stance and physical stature from an equally-geared male DoK.

Fun times. Right up until raiding started and everything turned instanced. Then it started sucking.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl