Moddb.com once again votes mod of the year [2013]

It's this time of the year again.
    Modding is one of the fundamental pillars of the PC gaming experience. It can transform average games into great ones and great games are made even better. Sometimes they right the wrongs of developers and make their games playable and at other times they can turn a game into something else entirely. In short, mods can make a game.

So, what were your favourite mods you played this year?

Ironically, the whole thing is sponsored by Origin.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    At first it does not seem ironic since EA/Origin has support smaller movements before. Then I remember how EA games have become very mod unfriendly and I do not think Origin has mod support like Steam does.'

Now for mods... really all I have touched is SC2 arcade maps.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think JC2MP deserve some type of award. But I feel that I don't know what people has been doing this year modding side, so maybe It will be unfair to me to make a opinion here.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    I think JC2MP deserve some type of award. But I feel that I don't know what people has been doing this year modding side, so maybe It will be unfair to me to make a opinion here.
    I agree except I wish the beta tests were open so I could join in on the mayhem. I've been stuck watching youtube videos and they are hilarious!

It's insane that somebody could add multiplayer netcode to a mod-unfriendly game.

Misery 2.0 - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat

It's fantastic.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeTheMonkey View Post
    Misery 2.0 - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat

It's fantastic.
    Honestly I have to disagree. It's a fantastic mod for sure but I don't think it deserves all the hype and praise it gets, besides, it won last year didn't it?

Reasons:
    1. Released with a staggering number of bugs, balance issues, market exploits, crashes, and still partly unresolved after 3 patches.
    2. Dev team seem like geniune assholes who refuse to listen to community feedback. I don't know why I listed this as #2, but it's a pervasive feeling you get once you start reading the Misery subforum on moddb. It could be a language barrier thing (I'm assuming most these guys are russian? Probably faulty assumption but I know STALKER has a huge eastern european niche following.)
    3. There is a lot of inventory clutter now with the addition of drugs and other tools and I think all the additional items are causing a strain on the engine. Misery 1.0 (with basically vanilla items) ran fine and Misery 2.0 runs like shit with random stuttering everywhere.
    4. For as great as the gunplay is in this game sniper rifles cause issues and don't register hits on ocassion, making a scoped assault rifle more effective as a sniper rifle. The crosshairs on scopes don't align to where the bullet actually ends up, and aren't even centered in the scope in a lot of cases.
    5. Textures quality is inconsistent, some are extremely muddy and others are too detailed.
    6. Overall inattentiveness to game balance.

Overall, I couldn't say it was the NUMBER 1 mod, maybe top ten for its sense of scale and vision, but not for its execution.

For #1, my nomination would be for the Dark Mod, even though I haven't installed its new standalone version. Assuming the quality of the new standalone version is up to par with the older Doom 3-based mod, then this recommendation is pretty easy.
    Last edited by ibebyi; 04-12-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ibebyi View Post
    besides, it won last year didn't it?
    Nope, no STALKER mod has ever won (last year was DayZ to no ones great surprise).

Brutal Doom

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Still hoping the mod I'm working on manages to rank in the top 10, anywhere... Maybe it's just my own selfish impression but I still don't understand why nobody's really noticed it outside of a very small circle of people (basically Freelancer and a subset of the Star Wars Galaxies community).

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ibebyi View Post
    2. Dev team seem like geniune assholes who refuse to listen to community feedback. I don't know why I listed this as #2, but it's a pervasive feeling you get once you start reading the Misery subforum on moddb. It could be a language barrier thing (I'm assuming most these guys are russian? Probably faulty assumption but I know STALKER has a huge eastern european niche following.)
    Really, how did you get that impression? As far as I've seen they listen to player feedback and changed some elements of the mod.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    No love for the Saints Row 4 nude mod? Damn guys.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Obscure Node
    Brutal Doom won in one category last year, it doesn't need to win again in my opinion.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
    Still hoping the mod I'm working on manages to rank in the top 10, anywhere... Maybe it's just my own selfish impression but I still don't understand why nobody's really noticed it outside of a very small circle of people (basically Freelancer and a subset of the Star Wars Galaxies community).
    Not the first time I've wondered the same thing. I suspect it's because Freelancer's not easy to get a hold of. Good luck :)

Lesser Hivemind Node

I'm still utterly pissed off at Microsoft for not putting Freelancer up for sale as a digital download. They've done it for Age of Empires 2 now, so it's not like they have any shame taking the rotten corpse of an old game from a deceased company, brushing it up with some makeup and putting it back on sale.

It'd be like printing money and they don't want it.

Since the full standalone release came out only this year I would say The Dark Mod if that counts,if not then the Deus Ex GMDX mod has been the one I liked the most in 2013.

I think the Just Cause MP mod will probably be the big winner of 2013,it was pretty good from what little I played,and releasing as a mod on steam will give it a lot of attention.