Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adventure Time

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

Adventure Time

So basically plot revolves about a human boy named Finn and adoptive brother and best friend Jake,which is the Dog with all these super stretch power like the professor from Fantastic 4,so they go around on adventures and protect the citizens of the Land of Ooo from foes of various shapes and sizes.

I started watching the first season yesterday,watched 6 episodes because they are only 11 min long,and to my shock! Can't get all the fuzz about this show,people talk about it its like best animated show this decade but in my opinion is very overrated. Its decent but thats it,or it maybe gets better later on ??

Whats your opinion on the show ?

Have you saw Rick and Morty ? Its like back to the future adult version,its really hilarious and fucked up.

It gets much better later on. I'd say from halfway through Season 2. The first Season is not bad, but it's a bit awkward, the humour too random even by AT standards.
    Also, in the first season or so it's like everything resets after each episode (like in the Simpsons), but after a while they started building on their own past episodes, which makes the characters more interesting. (And the characters themselves do change quite a bit: in particular, come Season 4, Princess Bubblegum and the Ice King are unrecognizable when compared to their Season 1 selves) It's not quite like a regular TV series or Anime where there is a continuous plot and each episode starts precisely where the last one left off, but there's much more of a sense of continuity and history.

I've watched up to Season 5. I don't have THAT much experience of western Cartoons, so saying that it's one of the best cartoons I've watched would be pretty meaningless coming from me, but it's definitely interesting in its own right, and it's worth watching in my opinion.

If you're curious, Bee and Puppycat is also a cartoon made by someone who was previously working on AT, and it retains much of the art style, the fast pace, and the sense of humour, even while having a pretty distinctive feel to it. Worth a mention, for sure, although I haven't watched enough of it to express a complete judgement.
    Last edited by MelodyMeows; 02-06-2015 at 10:45 AM.

The first season episodes are meant as test to see what works (some went to the second one too I guess). I never got into detail but the development process resembles a game, like d&d, where each guy picks elements and does what he or she wants with them according to his/her skill. Some episodes are pure style (Food Chain), others stick to philosophy (the mountain), others again belong to arcs.
    It's always interesting to watch and allows any direction possible as long "it's for everyone", 'cause it's from some kids channel or something.

For example if I remember correctly the first episode has candy people eating other candy people to break from the usual kids thing, other times at will defy expectations ending in silly ways and with silly morals; it's the crew toying with conventions.
    Bravest warriors did that too for a while, the pilot has them blowing a planet after a build up from the opening...

Manly is the one that goes way out of kids' radar from the start but we got no eps.
    Last edited by Wenz; 02-06-2015 at 10:59 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I'm probably sticking my biases in here, but despite it's absolute mundanity I find the show Clarence to be absolute genius. Imagine wonder years if it wasn't so painfully dry, cruel spirited and desperately slow. Just a show that frames a wretched suburban existence from the point of view of a child who questions non of it, but so much more than his die was cast.

Adventure Time requires a encyclopedic catalog of memes and tropes to really be understood, and true many of us are the target audience for that, but I think Clarence does more with less.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

It does toy with words but I don't recall so many memes, at times I just don't get the slang and can't spell the made up words though.
    I got some songs completely wrong and had to listen a couple times to them or just go straight to lyrics (last time it was astral plane I think)...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Adventure Time requires a encyclopedic catalog of memes and tropes to really be understood, and true many of us are the target audience for that, but I think Clarence does more with less.
    No it doesn't, most of the understanding of the show comes from the show. There's very few meme's in the show, it might have produced them but it doesn't use them as the basis of their jokes. It's not like Family Guy constantly referencing pop culture. The closest thing to a meme I think you could claim the show uses is bacon.

To the OP - it takes more than six episodes. Like you said, they're short, you've watched an hour of the show so far. The first season was very much testing the waters. As it goes on you start seeing story lines being introduced, you start seeing what the Land of Ooo actually is, characters get backstories etc. It's a pretty good show. It's certainly overhyped, but that's just because it's a big colourful thing with some jokes in it and the internet loves that shit.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Obscure Node
    Two reasons why Adventure Time is so popular:
    - Continuity - Many episodes have an affect on later episodes (as opposed to the reset button that is typical of a lot of Western animation).
    - Scope of the setting - It isn't just set in the Land of Ooo (a rich setting in itself), but also other connected universes (which tend to be visited more than once).

Individually, most episodes aren't great; but combined add to something much greater.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yeah I think the show is ok, I have to say the first episode I watched which was the Witch Episode in Season 2 was absolutley hilarious so I thought the show would continue in that vein but most of the episodes are ok, some of them hit good high points, some of them are forgettable. But is an 11min animation show so I feel thats a good hit rate for it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    No it doesn't, most of the understanding of the show comes from the show.
    Didn't say enjoy, I said understand. 90% of the roots of the jokes with fly over my 5 year olds head.

I'd completely recommend people give it a look though, I really like it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

[QUOTE=enklao;735625]Two reasons why Adventure Time is so popular:
    - Continuity - Many episodes have an affect on later episodes (as opposed to the reset button that is typical of a lot of Western animation).
    - Scope of the setting - It isn't just set in the Land of Ooo (a rich setting in itself), but also other connected universes (which tend to be visited more than once).

Individually, most episodes aren't great; but combined add to something much greater./QUOTE]

Maybe but the writers have their share of episodes that might be unrelated to everything else or what other writers are doing; it's more like they toy with the existing things and then leave random things around to pick up whenever they want. Like Finn's new sword, the long lost squirrel on a frisbee I kind of hated and the grass sword that I think resides within martin's crashed ship;l
    Last edited by Wenz; 02-06-2015 at 04:02 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Didn't say enjoy, I said understand. 90% of the roots of the jokes with fly over my 5 year olds head.

I'd completely recommend people give it a look though, I really like it.
    I know you didn't say enjoy, that's why I also didn't say enjoy and I also said understand.

My point was that most of the jokes aren't memes so you don't need a large knowledge of internet culture to understand the show. It's not like they're pulling out Peanut Butter Jelly Time or "Son I am Disapoint" as the jokes.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Obscure Node
    The show is fun for kids because of all the colors and weird creatures living in Ooo, it's fun for adults because somewhere between the short-spanned episodes are clever jokes
    Video games and woodwork are two similar things, they make you scream during certain conditions.

It deals with coming of age/20 something things in a childish way too.
    They did different things and I can't remember everything, most of the time it's writers losing interest for the story and going for something emotional through a mechanic. A popular ep features ice king and marceline making a song but it quickly goes into introspection/past flashback/mental issues through lyrics.

Every other AT-like show mentioned in the thread does that, something is set and goes ahead and writers quit caring about it in less than 5 minutes for whatever they like.
    Last edited by Wenz; 02-06-2015 at 06:33 PM.

I just watched a bee&puppycat episode of b&p going to the beach, I'd think of anime stuff -beach fillers for shonens- but no fears are conquered no cleavage is shown and no leather jacket is obtained. Nothing is solved go to hell shonens:p maybe I'm not picking the best episode though.

I liked this one, it's about things going very wrong and the dawn of a murderer (not really a theme though).
    http://www.watchonlinecartoons.net/a...-graybles-1000

stream it like it's 2003
    Last edited by Wenz; 02-06-2015 at 11:22 PM.

Eh, it was good, and now it's a bit meh. The overarching story has disappeared in to the ether (likely because they lost their main scriptwriter) and every episode is now a standalone collection of random. That isn't what made AT good, but it's what we are now left with due to staff exodus.

Gravity Falls is far, far, superior these days.
    Last edited by Cei; 02-06-2015 at 11:43 PM.
    RPS Mumble Server [mumble.rockpapershotgun.com:64738]
    ServerAdmin

If you are talking about rebecca sugar a couple of writers are basically at her level, muto in particular (I haven't checked and might have confused names, kind of forgot atm, can't remember when sugar left), but from season 4 to 6 the show spawned some of the best AT episodes and still has arcs ofc. Last one being about the comet. There are very few collections of random, seriously

I absolutely fucking love Adventure Time. For some insight as to why you should check out this post by Jesse Moynihan. It sort of covers the show's narrative philosophy and how they started experimenting more with narrative ambiguity. I think it is absolutely brilliant and is the direction I would love to see fiction across the board adopt more of. Post: http://jessemoynihan.com/?p=2361

"In my mind, the thing I really wanted to get away from, was the complete narrative handholding that embodies not only kids television, but almost all television: The ideology that demands we understand at all times what the character feels, what the conflict is, how exactly the audience should feel, and maybe the moral message."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I only saw one episode, and I have no idea what season it was from, but it sure doesn't work on a single episode basis. Random hyper unfunny.
    Then again, I thought the same about Archer and Ren & Stimpy after one episode.
    It's too hyperactive-random for my kids though, so I won't get a chance to go back and see if it grows on me. Shame, as an internet age adult male I should be watching far more kids cartoons.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Shame, as an internet age adult male I should be watching far more kids cartoons.
    I need go back to The Moomins. I've seen like 20+ episodes last year and I was genuinely surprised how good it is.
    Funny, charming, full of wonder with great world filled with weird characters and spooky threats.
    Also, I should read the novels too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    THe show already got better in the very fiiiirst season,its nice watch indeed.