Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Why We Have Wisdom Teeth, Why?!

My upper right one was so corroded that last Sunday it gave me quite a toothache. The toothache was gone with the sleep to the dawn of last Monday, but I know it's a sign the tooth was beyond salvage. It had been corroding for the last 5 to 6 to... how many year? I don't exactly recall. Anyway, I finally bought myself to have it removed and now I am still in quite a pain.

Why? Why we are born with genetic code to grow the four stupid teeth?! You know what? One patient before me and the one after (quite a cute girl :P) were all to remove at least one of such stupid teeth. I don't know if I should cry or laugh.

Medical scientists should work to prevent future generations having such stupid teeth grown. I ensure you medical expenditure of a society will drop dramatically because of this great work.
    Last edited by squirrel; 25-04-2015 at 02:07 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I recommend ripping out all of your teeth with pliers and wearing dentures.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    You are so mean. You still have your wisdom teeth intact?

And my medical insurance won't cover dental fees, damn. I really wish the executives of those insurance and their agents have all their teeth removed.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    But that would hurt, wouldn't it?

I have all my wisdom teeth, and I've never had any problem with them. The teeth themselves aren't really the problem, it's that the average jaw is a bit too small for them. Big enough jaw, no issues with the teeth. Go back far enough in pre-humans, and the jaws are significantly bigger.

Back then, they needed the teeth. Lots of plant matter, no tools to cut up what meat they got, and extra molars were handy. Plus, they were a backup for when you lost a tooth.

These days, not so much. We have these Great Big Brains, and we've been processing our food for millenia to make it easier to consume, grinding up grains to make flour for example. So we didn't really need big muscular jaws anymore, and as the jaw shrank it got crowded in there.

None of which may apply to you, since you said your teeth were "corroded." Unless you're talking about bone erosion from pressure - and that does happen - it sounds like it was just poor dental hygiene.

the real question is why is your jaw too small for your wisdom teeth to fit?
    because youve been malnutritioned for the past few generations
    http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200251h.html#ch17
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

"the operator of toast is a person"

Quote Originally Posted by cardinaldirection View Post
    the real question is why is your jaw too small for your wisdom teeth to fit?
    because youve been malnutritioned for the past few generations
    http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200251h.html#ch17
    That was distinctly loony. Sort of the nutritional version of Velikovsky's Worlds in Collision, if Velikovsky were a dentist with a paleo-diet hobbyhorse. Modern diet causes criminal behavior! You can tell because phrenology. Just look at these photos of criminals, and how obviously immoral they are because of the shape of their heads! Look at those deformed dental arches!

Network Hub
    That's the spirit!!!!!1

Quote Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post
    snip
    so family eating natural diet produces child with nearly identical skull to parents and no degeneration, then moves to urban area adopting modern diet and produces child with all sorts of skull deformities and dental issues...
    cuz genetic code is altered by chewing bread differently than berries, not a bio-developmental response to a change in nutrition..
    ?wtf

oh and skull and dental deformities impair neuro, muscular, circulatory, and respiratory pathways in the face, head, and neck, impeding the brains performance, and causing all sorts of psychological symptoms.
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

oh and skull and dental deformities impair neuro, muscular, circulatory, and respiratory pathways in the face, head, and neck, impeding the brains performance, and causing all sorts of psychological symptoms.
    I would have recognized the epidemic of skull and dental deformities around me, since I live in an urban area where everyone eats a modern diet, but my impeded brain performance prevented me.

Are we not men?
    We are devo.

Or you could..

It's just safer, you know what's best.

That's a thought. If he ripped out all his teeth with pliers, the improvement to his neuro, muscular, circulatory, and respiratory pathways in the face, head, and neck might improve his brain performance and relieve his psychological symptoms.

He might stop believing in Weston Price's psuedoscience, though.

He might stop believing in Weston Price's psuedoscience, though.
    I for one, am willing to take that risk. Get an alcohol free Chlorhexidine mouthwash to clean the wounds, it's a brilliant way to wipe out a bacterial halitosis, but don't use it for longer than a week or your uninhabited mouth will be vulnerable to a yeast infection.

I should add that I am not* a practising dentist.

*Any longer
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 26-04-2015 at 04:27 PM.

I made teeth to munch other teeth from one da vinci's formula of something similar to plastic derived from cabbage. In case you need them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    I have all my wisdom teeth, and I've never had any problem with them. The teeth themselves aren't really the problem, it's that the average jaw is a bit too small for them. Big enough jaw, no issues with the teeth. Go back far enough in pre-humans, and the jaws are significantly bigger.

Back then, they needed the teeth. Lots of plant matter, no tools to cut up what meat they got, and extra molars were handy. Plus, they were a backup for when you lost a tooth.

These days, not so much. We have these Great Big Brains, and we've been processing our food for millenia to make it easier to consume, grinding up grains to make flour for example. So we didn't really need big muscular jaws anymore, and as the jaw shrank it got crowded in there.

None of which may apply to you, since you said your teeth were "corroded." Unless you're talking about bone erosion from pressure - and that does happen - it sounds like it was just poor dental hygiene.
    mine didn't start giving me hell until i was 40, so don't count your chickens yet.

I'm 50.

If your wisdom teeth didn't give you problems until you were 40, clearly it wasn't a space issue, it was cavities, which can happen to any tooth. Though obviously the further back they are, the harder it is to get the plaque off.

I've managed to avoid cavities in my wisdom teeth, though I don't see how. All eight regular molars have fillings. You'd think the wisdom teeth would be worse, but they aren't.

I've managed to avoid cavities in my wisdom teeth, though I don't see how. All eight regular molars have fillings. You'd think the wisdom teeth would be worse, but they aren't.
    Rising out of your gums later in life when you probably ate less junk and brushed better probably helped.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    I'm 50.

If your wisdom teeth didn't give you problems until you were 40, clearly it wasn't a space issue, it was cavities, which can happen to any tooth. Though obviously the further back they are, the harder it is to get the plaque off.

No they just didnt come through until then. Most people get them pushing through in their late 20s, but some get them delayed

I had cavities on my wisdom tooth, I asked the dentist to just remove it but she didn't agree with me. She removed the cavities, cleaned the tooth and fill it with dental filling and pack and shape it to made sure it doesn't affect my normal bite pattern.

I would have recognized the epidemic of skull and dental deformities around me, since I live in an urban area where everyone eats a modern diet, but my impeded brain performance prevented me.
    im sorry to hear that.

im suffering too.

but look closer.
    i see em everywhere

especially at the dentists.

with braces, or bite appliances.

you already agreed that the issue was a smaller jaw. however you basically claimed that chewing bread differently than berries has influenced evolution over a time period of less than ten thousand yrs; when the degeneration logically stems from malnutritioned parents.
    did you even read the chapter i linked?

a degeneration is not evolution.

"The blending of different racial stocks produces typical characteristics of either or both ancestral patterns. When, however, marked divergences appear without mixing of racial stocks, the result is not due to heredity, but occurs in spite of heredity. In the previous chapters, I have shown that in the modernized groups of various primitive racial stocks, ccrtain individuals developed marked changes in facial and dental arch form from the racial pattern. We are interested to know the nature of the forces responsible for this distortion of the ancestral pattern. In a study of 1,276 skulls of the ancient civilizations of Peru, I did not find one with a typical divergence from normal such as we find in modern whites or in children of primitive racial stocks after the parents have adopted the foods of our modern civilization. It is important that we study this phase in further detail."..
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun