Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

"Affordable" 4K Display From Dell

About USD1300 for 24" and less than USD1K for 28"

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/12/05/de...a-res-screens/

Honestly this is still not a price tag I would buy, considering I have to have a computer powerful enough to utilize such a monitor. And in verse, of course, you need a monitor with resolution high enough for an expensive GPU to unleash its power. Yet it's not a price tag which would scare away potential customers neither. Let's say this is a start. It lets us to imagine: if I have bonus this year, I may consider buying this..... or I may start to save up.

Don't be odd with Dell's odd pricing scheme for cheaper price for larger mon than smaller one. A smaller one may display sharper graphics, hence a higher price.

Plus, I can tell you an interesting experience I had earlier this year of purchasing my Dell notebook. Back then it was offering its 17" notebook with slightly more powerful Intel Core i5 (dual core only), priced cheaper than another 15" notebook. You read me right, 17" was cheaper than 15" for around RMB400. Yet the sales buddy (oh yes, here we have Dell run stores since competition here is too keen that Dell may have figured out that it needed a sale force stationing in some major computer arcade mall to actively push for sale than to wait behind its website, a different approach to website only approach in the west) warned me that 17" notebook would be too heavy for mobility, hence the price cut. Back then I was blinded by the price differentials that I ended up bought the cheaper yet larger notebook, and now I regret this stupid decision since my notebook really is too damn heavy for me to carry around. Haha~
    Last edited by squirrel; 05-12-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Moving to Tech Help (I know it's not a "help" topic but that seemed like the best fit anyway =).

Re: heavy laptops, they're like a forced exercise program! I loved my old 17-inch 8-pound Gateway laptop.
    Last edited by Berzee; 05-12-2013 at 02:31 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    To be fair, they call it a 'step toward affordable 4k screens.'

I'm a little weary of Dell quality control, given how much of their stuff seems to end up being re-sold on eBay as "Refurbished" models.

Still, it's a decent enough starting price point, especially if you manage to get one without light bleed.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

I always thought that the high amount of Dell refurbs is that companies that go under sell off their assets (including screens) and those screens end up being sold as refurbs. Which would mean there's nothing wrong with the screen itself.

But that's just a guess.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    TBH that monitor reads like it's principally for industrial use. Perfect for Photoshop & CAD because of the extra screen real estate it affords coupled with the colour accuracy, but short of some triple SLI action you're likely to struggle to actually be able to play any games on it at that resolution given the massive step up in pixel rendering it will require. I done a bit of downsampling at higher than monitor resolution size for screenshots in Skyrim and albeit my GPU (GFX 760 4GB) was able to render out without the game becoming a slide show, the frame rate hit was noticeable to the extent that I wouldn't chose to run it that way.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/...659615FA4F0E0/

I'm excited about high def screens, but at the same time we need affordable hardware that's capable of running on it comfortably as well, and it's going to be a while before that's easily available.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Dell's IPS monitors are recommended time and time again from a lot of people.

Now I expect the prices to be more affordable when a $300 card can play at 4K on high with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Dell's IPS monitors are recommended time and time again from a lot of people.

Now I expect the prices to be more affordable when a $300 card can play at 4K on high with no problem.
    I'm using a Dell Ultrasharp 24" 16:10 monitor atm and the picture & build quality is fantastic. Beyond 'more pixels' I'm not really seeing an incentive to change up for the foreseeable.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The 2560 x 1600 IPS on MacBooks are rather lovely to look at. Wish I had a chance to put Diablo 3 on one and see how it plays out. Downside is you can only get up to 750m and the 13 inch only have Intel graphics. Looks nice but practical real world use and good consistent frames I do not know how well they stand up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    short of some triple SLI action you're likely to struggle to actually be able to play any games on it at that resolution given the massive step up in pixel rendering it will require.
    With a pair of R9 290Xs in Crossfire, or a pair of GTX 780 Ti's in SLI, you'd have enough power for 4K. And if you can afford a 4K monitor, you can afford those GPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    With a pair of R9 290Xs in Crossfire, or a pair of GTX 780 Ti's in SLI, you'd have enough power for 4K. And if you can afford a 4K monitor, you can afford those GPUs.
    I'd rather just have a one card solution and preferably one that doesn't break the bank (which was my entire point).

Probable Replicant

A 4K screen in itself will break the bank, so you can't really complain about the graphics cards required to run it also break the bank.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    While some may say its "affordable" due to the price drop, ideally it would be an upgrade like someone going from 1280 x 1024 resolution to 1980x1080. Or TN to IPS panel, where you could use the new monitor with your current hardware or be able to put in a new $200-$300 card to take full advantage of it.

Its still in the way to expensive column. I guess omeone on a $2k budget can get it now with 2 new cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    I always thought that the high amount of Dell refurbs is that companies that go under sell off their assets (including screens) and those screens end up being sold as refurbs. Which would mean there's nothing wrong with the screen itself.

But that's just a guess.
    I hadn't considered that, however I've also seen a lot of Alienware desktops and laptops go up as 'refurbished', and I wouldn't have thought Dell made a habit of recommending their high-end gaming line for business purposes (unless of course it's bankrupt game dev company assets, which would be sad.) ... (Dell do still own Alienware, right?)
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

This is fantastic news. Now people that shoot film in 4K can also afford to watch it in that res. Its been too long.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    A 4K screen in itself will break the bank, so you can't really complain about the graphics cards required to run it also break the bank.
    I can justify the monitor for work. Less so the SLI setup required to play games on it.

Probable Replicant

Now we just need Apple to get in the game. To update their Cinema Display to use one of these panels, so that the public will actually desire them, and motivate a cycle of better valued competitors.

I honestly don't expect Dell or Asus to successfully convince your average consumer to plunk down $1000 for a monitor. Apple on the other hand...

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Don't be odd with Dell's odd pricing scheme for cheaper price for larger mon than smaller one. A smaller one may display sharper graphics, hence a higher price.
    The smaller monitor is more expensive because it comes pre-calibrated from the factory. I think Dell calls it their 'Premier Colour' line. It's the sort of thing that really only matters to graphics professionals.
    Last edited by Lethe; 01-01-2014 at 04:14 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    I hadn't considered that, however I've also seen a lot of Alienware desktops and laptops go up as 'refurbished', and I wouldn't have thought Dell made a habit of recommending their high-end gaming line for business purposes (unless of course it's bankrupt game dev company assets, which would be sad.) ... (Dell do still own Alienware, right?)
    It's worth remembering that this is an UltraSharp monitor, which is Dell's professional monitor series. Don't conflate Dell's consumer products (Alienware, etc.) with their professional series (same as HP!), they're usually very different. I have a trio of U2311H and they are nothing like any consumer screen you can find.

Also, the one big difference between 4K and any other previous shot at high resolution is that it's an integer multiple of 1080p. You can use the full resolution wherever possible (awesome for programming, websites, movies, etc.) and use 1080p without a single quality problem (unlike downscaling from 1600p or 1440p to 1080p) if the game is too heavy. To me it's the greatest strength of 4K.

That's like scaling down from 1920x1080 to 960x540. Not really an option I'd ever want to use.

BTW, 2560x1440 has the same option. It's an integer multiple of 1280x720. It's even an integer multiple of VGA (640x480), even though that has a different aspect ratio.