Hybrid View

Frozen Endzone Beta, anyone?

Hi there folks! Frozen Endzone is finally released (beta) and I'm seeing a lot of familiar faces there. I'm learning the game (doing terrible), throw me a challenge, if you want. I really hope the endzone community grows, since the game has some promise, escpecially when the league feature is implemented.

I'm seeing if Robbo85 fancies splitting some keys, it does look really good.

Network Hub
    I've got it, played a bit. It's definitely good, definitely streamlines the ridiculous amount of micro management you need in FS. There's still micro, just not to the point where every player needs commands precise to the 1/10th second level, and there aren't as many available commands - just move, wait, and pass. The micro is mostly centered around timing your wait commands during your moves, since you can only block while standing still (though you can tackle the ballcarrier while running). The best plays I've managed to pull off thus far have involved stepping my potential receivers into the path of their coverage, and timing my ball pickup so that I land the block just as the turn ends. That means that they're stunned long enough for me to create some distance and receive a pass, leading into some easy points.

Also, here are a few tips and tricks I've picked up over the course of my games:
    • The closer you are to the ball carrier, the wider the arc of passes you deny to him. If you have a clear run on the first turn, and there are receivers behind you, always try to blitz. Most people won't wait long enough for you to actually hit them, but you can often deny huge swathes of the field, making your turn 2 defense much easier.
    • On defense, you have a "chase zone" - if the ballcarrier enters this zone, you'll automatically ignore your other commands and run at them. Obviously, this is problematic if you were trying guard a narrow passage! However, what the game doesn't tell is that the Wait command overrides this behavior. So if you just want to deny a location, sit on your point and drag your wait timer all the way over.
    • On offense, one way the turn can end is that your pass "travels a certain distance vertically" - that is, you made a long pass and it's partway there. This gives the defense a chance to react. However, once you cross the distance threshold, increasing the distance of your pass actually allows it to go farther before triggering the end of the turn - it travels around halfway before ending the turn. This can allow you to slip particularly long passes past the defense before they get a chance to move to intercept (although it will also take longer to land on the next turn, so be wary of defenders that can reach the landing point)
    • The first play exists to define the goals of the second. You don't have to kill the play to succeed on defense - just keep their score low enough to be beatable. Similarly, while you should always take what you can get, 3 points isn't much better than 0 - don't treat field goals as secondary options so much as a last ditch resort, unless you can hit bonus squares too.

Just grabbed a copy of this too, only really run the tutorial to see how it looked - will keep an eye out for FS league RPSers once I have a sec to try the real gameplay in multiplayer - feel free to throw a challenge my way, name thither is bonuswavepilot too. I expect to be thoroughly shit at it for a while yet...

Spare license key sent Fumarole's way...
    Last edited by bonuswavepilot; 08-12-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Key no longer available

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Thanks again for the key. If anyone wants to throw a challenge my way feel free; this time my in-game nick is Fumarole, so things should be less confusing.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Thanks again for the key. If anyone wants to throw a challenge my way feel free; this time my in-game nick is Fumarole, so things should be less confusing.
    Ah, Fumarole got the game! I'm all anticipation, remembering all those thrilling synapse matchups against you.

Obscure Node
    I'd be interested in splitting a key with someone.

Activated Node
    Just bought the game. Name is Norskov.

The game is starting to get addicitve. I'm feeling the synapse vibe. Very excited about the handball mode once it gets fully polished and bug free.

Obscure Node
    I sent a few challenges earlier, my in game name is TheBaron.
    Last edited by Robmonster; 17-12-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
    I sent a few challenges earlier, my in game name is TheBaron.
    Your challenge was my first multiplayer game and it ended in a glorious... draw? Hmm, I think I need to spend much more time in this game to grasp its nuances.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

I'm determined to buy Frozen Endzone and its soundtrack - it's just a matter of when. Damn this expensive season!

Bugger it, at 11 quid each (for 2 keys) it was too tempting. In as CherryPhosphate, send me some challenges - I'm still very much learning the ropes
    Last edited by CherryPhosphate; 19-12-2013 at 12:51 AM.

I've been playing quite a bit with robbo85 and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Is anyone else from this group still playing to send us some additional games?

Slowed down a bit lately, but have about 30 games under my belt. nick is the same as here. Will be glad to play some

Well I lost that one convincingly. Taking 3 points was a last resort and as I guessed I simply couldn't block your play ... it all came down to messing up a block in turn 1 which meant the player I needed was stunned for a second.

Good game though, send me a rematch soon!

Obscure Node
    You can challenge me anytime EndZone or Handball.
    wonderhero