Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Damn it, did I miss the tourni sign up? I'm so unattentive :S

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    As I said, the tournament is moved to next week, so you can still sign up! :)

Naxxramas is out! I managed to defeat the three bosses on easy before Blizzard's servers took a rain check. It was quite trivial, but the class challenges and heroic mode variants seem to be much tougher. New cards look sweet. And there's new music too!

Yeah, I get the feeling it's gonna be a while till you can actually play.

I got in for a while and managed to beat the class challenges, then it dropped dead again. The year is 2014. It is the future.

Curse of Naxxramas now live... Er, Undead!
    Ain't that the truth. Ah, the joys of server-based single-player content.

A tournament next week might be doable for me, I'll see if I can sign up.

Edit: Whee, beat the first guy in Heroic mode at the first try. I doubt I can keep that up.

Edit 2: Indeed I could not. The second guy, er, girl, took three tries.

Edit 3: Third one took like 25 tries. Cheating bastard. I had to make some minor deck revisions to deal with the hero power but after that it was just a matter of out-healing it. Now I'm going to bed.
    Last edited by LTK; 23-07-2014 at 02:29 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think this Arena run is going to be a good one. No, really this time. I've lucked into something like a token Druid- Imp Master, and a bunch of decent small stuff, plenty of draw, and cards like Power of the Wild, Frostwolf Warlord and Soul of the Forest that take advantage of a full board. On the Naxx side I've got Haunted Creeper (cheap spider that summons two tokens on death) and Poison Seeds, which have already worked out great.

I gotten in two games before admitting the lag is too bad to enjoy, and I won them both.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Ain't that the truth. Ah, the joys of server-based single-player content.

A tournament next week might be doable for me, I'll see if I can sign up.

Edit: Whee, beat the first guy in Heroic mode at the first try. I doubt I can keep that up.

Edit 2: Indeed I could not. The second guy, er, girl, took three tries.

Edit 3: Third one took like 25 tries. Cheating bastard. I had to make some minor deck revisions to deal with the hero power but after that it was just a matter of out-healing it. Now I'm going to bed.
    I got the first guy on try 3 or 4 (I think) with Freeze Mage, the second lady the first time with Zoolock... after that, things went south. Last chap took 7 or 8 goes with Freeze Mage (I kept adapting my deck to his hero power, same as you). I kept bottom-decking Alexstraza, but the last run was perfect. Had one Ice Block unpopped ready for Turn 9 Alex, and another in hand for the next turn so I could get lethal from 15HP (I only had Fireball/Pyroblast by that point, so no 10-Mana lethal).

I kind of love the cheating Hero Powers. It's like beating Gym Leaders in Pokemon. Hard as nails, until you solve the puzzle with your decklist. That said, Zoo vs the second boss was brutal. Her ability becomes useless, and you can easily get 45 damage against her considering the general lack of AoE/removal.

I would like to see them make the Heroic bosses more difficult at some point, as Maexxna was handicapped almost as much as it was advantaged. Even when always going second and with two spiders on the board, the fact that the hero power auto-casts just makes it incredibly easy to exploit. I thought I would have to give it a go with my Priest with a Mass Dispel, but really I could just throw together any deck with two Voodoo Doctors, two Elven Archers, two Ironforge Riflemen, two Earthen Ring Farseers and two owls and pad it out with other battlecry minions. The only reason I didn't is that I'm on my deck limit and I wanted to beat it with an existing deck, and getting my Peackeepers and Kodoes bounced was a big help. There wasn't a Sea Giant that I couldn't pacify.

Here's something a bit different: A player botting his way to rank 4 with a warlock zoo deck.

Played like a dozen games today, didn't draw Maexxna once, god damn it.

Lucky you, it's a pretty bad card, by all accounts.

We've got five people signed up for the tourney so far, which is alright, but it would be great if we could punt that up to an even number, preferably eight. There's still time!

Password: hearthpals

http://battlefy.com/cluster/rps-frie...2093b928c/info

I thought I could make it work in a Warrior deck with lots of Inner Fires and Cruel Taskmasters so it becomes a 4/7 and can't be stomped by a Kodo or Shadow Word: Pain. The first time I did that, the enemy Priest played another Inner Fire that he stole from me and then cast Shadow Word: Death. The second time I got to play Maexxna I was up against another Priest who had previously Mind Controlled my Sunwalker, THEN Shadow Priested my last minion, THEN Shadow Priested my Maexxna, THEN I said FUCK. THAT. SHIT.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    She could combo well with Warsong Commander, since she'll get charge. That guarantees she can be a 2 for 1 at least.

Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    She could combo well with Warsong Commander, since she'll get charge. That guarantees she can be a 2 for 1 at least.
    Yeah perhaps, alternatively she could be used with sunfury to make an inconvenient taunt, but that's 8 mana...

It was pointed out that you could compare her to boulderfist ogre, since both are 6 mana cards. 8 hp isn't really that big a deal over 7. Maex has deathtouch, but 6 dmg kills most turn 6 minions anyway, and when you go for the face she's useless. AND she's vulnerable to both SWP, kodo and silence. Ogre is not.

In short: Ogre can safely replace Maexxna in most scenarios. And most ladder decks don't even run ogre. (It's great in arena though.)

Hmm, that's a good point. Maexxna would give you an advantage if you wanted to get rid of Ysera easily, or maybe another nasty 8/8 that an ogre can't quite kill, but overall the ogre would be better value. (Not to mention the problems of Cabal Shadow Priest and Shadow Madness.) What if they made it a 2/6 with Charge or something? Or gave it Taunt?

I played Priest in Arena yesterday, where I went 4/3 and got Gruul out of the pack. Another legendary that my decks aren't suitable for; my Edwin VanCleef and King Krush also remain unused. My Hunter trap deck is terrible and I can't get my Rogue deck to work either. But Al'Akir is doing okay-ish in my Shaman deck, although I haven't played that in a while.
    Last edited by LTK; 25-07-2014 at 06:13 PM.

Yeah, I think charge would make it much more useable, and in line with the current paradigm for "useful legendaries": They need to have an immidiate impact on the board. Garrosh, Ragnaros, Alexstraza; they all provide a direct benefit from playing them. Less used but still considered good are stuff like Cairne and Sylvanas. They don't do anything when played, but their abilities force the opponent to play around them, disrupting their strategy.

VanCleef is used in many miracle decks, maybe try that out? I don't have leeroy but arcane golem is an acceptable stand in while I gather the dust.

Nah. Got no Preps. And Miracle just doesn't seem like much fun.

Hey, I just noticed that you can preview future Naxx cards by going into crafting mode and ticking 'include soulbound cards'. It's interesting that they decided to make Kel'Thuzad's ability interact with dead minions as one major difference between Hearthstone and Magic (and other similar CCGs) is the lack of a graveyard or discard pile. Notwithstanding that one Paladin secret, usually dead means dead in this game, and I thought that was worthy of respect. Naxx is going to change that up a little, but it's not a very big deal, I suppose.

Oh yeah, I just remembered what I wanted to mention about my last Arena game: I did get some Naxx cards in the draft! That didn't happen last time so I was wondering if it could happen at all, but the answer is yes.

Damn, I'm really tempted to get back into the game again but can't for the life of me remember my password. Resetting doesn't work either because apparently I have specified some really bonkers "security question" which I do not recall setting in the first place ("Favourite teacher?" I wouldn't put it past myself to have given some naughty answer to that...). Soooo... setting up new account y/n? :/

What have you got to lose? If you just grind enough xp to get all the basic cards you should be able to beat the naxx bosses.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There are things Maexxna can do that an Ogre can't. Ysera and Rag, obviously. It's a 9 mana combo that'll leave you with some threat on the board, but it still comes late, requires a specific combo, and won't threaten the enemy hero all that much, except through the Warsong. It'll win some games, but I think perhaps not enough to be worth the slots.