Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Heya, can anyone comment on how closely related the game is to M:tG in regard to mechanics and card classes? I see that the majority of the offensive power comes through creatures, are there also things like enchantments, instants, etc.? I would be interested in giving this a try but didn't manage to get a good grasp of the basics from the TB videos. Could someone maybe recommend an introductory guide?
    It's basically Magic. If you know how to play mtg - and it sounds like you do - Hearthstone will come naturally to you.

In some respects, it's simpler than magic, in others it's more complex. The basic setup is you have a deck of 30 cards. You pay mana to play cards. It doesn't differentiate between a lot of classes of cards like instants or enchantments, it's just "creatures" and "spells". There's also a type of spell with the "secret" tag wich sort of works like enchantments, but they are also hidden until they take effect.

A big difference from Magic is that mana is not produced from cards, but are automatically given each turn. On the first turn you have 1 mana to spend, on the second turn 2 mana and so on, up to a maximum of 10 mana on all turns after turn ten. This guarantees a good mana curve for all players, which to my mind is almost only an improvement over mtg.

The other main divergence is that each deck is based on a character class. The character has a set of cards unique to them and a special ability that can be cast for 2 mana once per turn.

All the card effects follow the standard mtg archetypes: There are small creatures, big creatures, creatures which can attack on the same turn as they're played, creatures that buff other creatures, all the usual stuff.

The card set at this time seems to be rather small, and I don't know what their plans are for future expansions. More classes? The base sets seem to be quite set in stone right now, though they can always add more advanced cards I guess.

Once you unlock all the characters you get access to a draft mode that's great fun.

EDIT: Well, Gorzan said most of what I did in a much smaller space, so good on him. :) I'll chorus the day9 recommendation; I find him quite pleasant to listen to, and it's fun to see him experiment with new decks against live opponents (as opposed to his sc2 vids, which are cast from replays).

Someone said on some podcast that Artosis is really good at it, don't know if he's made any interesting videos but could be worth checking out.
    Last edited by postinternetsyndrome; 18-12-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    How's the class balance? Is there a lot of diversity in the classes being played? What do you play, and why do you like it?

I've just started. I'm in the process of practicing a Shaman up to level 10, because the only WoW character I played all that much was a Shaman. I'm not sure the totems are quite good enough to make up for the randomness, but I'm so new that is a completely uninformed judgement.

I'm getting all the classes to level 10, to unlock all the basic cards, then I'll see if I want to specialize anywhere.

The totems are random and strange to begin with, but you can unlock cards which have great synergies with them, and they are a nice way to just generically up your creature count for spells that have special effects based on that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Tried to find a good overall overview. Could not find any comprehensive write up.

Example of a Warlock deck and explanation of cards used and how to play it:
    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=435773

Teamliquid has some also some other basic guides and information written by staff. Just make sure it is not older than November for deck building articles and the like. Some of the top Hearthstone players are also part of their writing staff.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=437398

Thanks for all the explanations and links, I'll try to get into the beta and give this a try. I've indeed got a bit of experience with M:tG and I was curious to find out how complex HS is in comparison. For example from the TB videos it seemed as if creatures can attack other creatures directly, which is different in M:tG. Complexity is most likely ensured to increase with the release of additional cards, but a limited set of content to memorize surely isn't all that bad either, especially since there seems to be a focus on synergies.

TI'll try to get into the beta and give this a try.
    You are now into the beta.

MAGIC !

Thanks, that is very kind of you! I love MAGIC. :)
    Last edited by Squiz; 19-12-2013 at 11:19 AM.

For example from the TB videos it seemed as if creatures can attack other creatures directly, which is different in M:tG.
    It certainly is. It can make games faster since the advantage is on the attacker's side. You also don't need to kill/outnumber all the enemy creatures to damage the opponent, you can just attack them directly. This makes the Taunt keyword very important, since it forces attackers to target creatures with Taunt before anything else.

Creature health is persistent too, which again makes stuff generally easier to kill and games faster.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    It certainly is. It can make games faster since the advantage is on the attacker's side. You also don't need to kill/outnumber all the enemy creatures to damage the opponent, you can just attack them directly. This makes the Taunt keyword very important, since it forces attackers to target creatures with Taunt before anything else.

Creature health is persistent too, which again makes stuff generally easier to kill and games faster.
    Strangely alot of the top players don't like the Taunt cards in general, infact pretty much all top decks I've seen in use seem to apply taunt to cards that don't normally have it with buffs. Divine Shields and trading board control seems to be popular, as do rush down decks.

To answer the above question about how diverse the class usage is; I'd say quite diverse, I've been playing about with Priest, Mage, Druid and Hunter mainly but I'm super interested in making a rush down Warrior deck as they can get quite nasty or a decent Paladin deck. So far my basic cards just haven't dropped right to land me what I need and I'm loathe to disenchant cards :P

Network Hub
    A bit of a breakdown of what I've seen / picked up so far regarding the classes, this isn't to say the only way to play the classes but what I've seen as the most common so far:

Druid - Excels at breaking the mana curve, they can give themselves permanent mana advantage or buff for heavy plays early on (having a Druid whip out an 8 mana card on turn 5 is totally normal), also seem to be quite good at buffing up minions and making them very difficult to trade with efficiently.

Hunter - Beasts, beasts, beasts; I've found their weapons applied to the hero quite poor in general but they have some great synergy with beast cards (and there's alot of beast cards to be had). Decent mixture of board clear too although some of it relies on the enemy setting off Secrets etc... The common deck for hunters seems to revolve around lots of minions out and buff them up.

Mage - Really nice spells, turn 8 kills are not unusual with this class using Pyroblast (10 dmg), paired with some +spell dmg or cards that synergise with spell usage (mana wyrm etc) they can be really harsh and they have lots of spells to maintain board control or at least slow the enemy down.

Paladin - Between equality and consecrate they have nasty board control and they get some great weapons, a nice mixture and a good all-rounder tbh... (Artosis's Paladin deck is DIRTY).

Priest - Best single minion removal in the game, building up any sort of strong creature vs these guys is likely to get you in all sorts of trouble, earlier game they have the shadow words and shadow madness while late late game they have mind control. the likelihood of your creature living is low and the likelihood of it hitting you in the face instead of him is quite high.

Rogue - Good Rogue decks are really nasty, they have a good mixture of board clear (assassinate and the fan of knives type stuff) and they have nice weapons / direct dmg cards.

Shaman - Board control can get really hard vs these guys where your having to eat through a wall of totems and minions buffed by said totems, really interesting; not met too many but from what I have they seem to be pretty strong and a decent all-rounder like the Paladins; I'd say slightly more offensive than Paladins but they have defensive options too.

Warlock - Card draw is the name of the game and with summoning portal and card draw they can play minion rush down really well, quite hard to play against with alot of decks and early succubus's (succubi?) can be really hard to trade with.

Warrior - Weapons, weapons, weapons and some of the best in the game... horrid to get rushed down by and some of their buffs etc are really nasty, especially when paired with enrage creatures. I'm currently trying to get the cards to really make use of this :)

As I said anyway, its just my thoughts on things here, I might well have got a lot wrong, its just that I'm bored at work approaching Christmas and decided to do something slightly productive rather than sit on my hands idly... Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DenieD View Post
    Strangely alot of the top players don't like the Taunt cards in general, infact pretty much all top decks I've seen in use seem to apply taunt to cards that don't normally have it with buffs. Divine Shields and trading board control seems to be popular, as do rush down decks.
    Right after writing my post above I started reading some of the articles on teamliquid and one said that you usually want to kill most enemy minions anyway, so trading fighting power for taunt is disadvantageous. And of course there are a lot of removal options too.

I'm really liking the shaman and thinking of directing my primary efforts in that direction. The totems are great in that they provide a lot of small buffs centered around several targets, not putting all your eggs in the same basket etc. It depends on what advanced cards are available though, I've only unlocked the basic set so far.

I like the warlock's imps for the same reason.
    Last edited by postinternetsyndrome; 19-12-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Skyturnedred#2874

Been in beta for a few months now. I like playing druid the most, a lot of the class cards give you two options on what to do, which is exactly what I loved about the druid in WoW. Though I tend to play the class I get quests for and spend the rest of my time on arenas, I like the idea of trying out decks against the great people of RPS.

Since I don't know anyone else playing Hearthstone: when you play against people on your friend list, is it possible to chat with them?

Yeah, you can chat with anyone on your friends list regardless of where they are, be it in a game of Hearthstone or WoW.

I just played the weirdest arena match against a paladin. On turn two he already fucked with my head by playing a Blessing of Wisdom on my river crocolisk. I had no idea why he'd do that but it turns out that the person who played Blessing of Wisdom gets the card even if your minion attacks. Then he did it a second time on my harvest golem! I wasn't about to stop attacking him, so by turn 3 he had 10 cards in his hand already. He wasn't able to play many minions with them, though, and most things I played were debuffed by him with aldor peacekeepers, humility etc. But since I played a priest, I had plenty of cards that buffed them back up, so I was left with a board full of minions with 1-2 attack but 6-8 health. He played a bunch of 4/4s and the like, and it was obvious that my minions wouldn't be able to kill his on account of their low attack, and his won't be able to kill mine on account of their high health. I was able to regain the advantage by playing stronger minions like temple enforcer but those debuffs didn't stop coming. I did eventually beat him, probably because I had way too much momentum from the early game, but it was anything but typical.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Open Beta delayed (saw that coming)

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/12070972

On the plus side:

We have some other news to share too. As of today, we have sent beta invites to everyone who opted in to the Hearthstone closed beta test prior to Monday, December 16. If you opted in before that date and have not yet received an invite email, check your spam folders or different email tabs to see if you invite may have ended up in an unexpected location. If you still can’t find your Hearthstone beta invite, don’t worry! We’re putting together a list of all Battle.net accounts that opted in to the Hearthstone beta test and did not claim their beta key. These accounts will be flagged for beta access within the first few weeks of January.

Opt-ins for the closed beta test will end on January 7; we plan to invite everyone who opts in by that date to the closed beta test at some point before the open beta begins. So keep playing, testing, and amassing your Hearthstone collection, as we do not plan on performing another card data wipe.
    I guess I have not added anyone here yet or tried, but is Hearthstone cross region play? You do have your own Battletag and I guess you do not make one up for each region. SC2 you have a separate alias and ranking. Diablo 3 is separate pool of your own characters (unless it was changed, never tried it other than Day 1).

I've always thought that the illustration of Ragnaros was that of someone riding a burning steed. Sometimes it's hard to tell what exactly these cards depict.

Network Hub
    ....Dammit, naturally i did my opt in at tuesday <.<

Quote Originally Posted by Graerth View Post
    ....Dammit, naturally i did my opt in at tuesday <.<
    There was someone in the Kindness Club thread that had one to offer yesterday.

Downloaded the game yesterday and gave it a quick look (played one "Play" match and have 5/9 heroes unlocked I think). It is good fun, but I still have to come to terms with the quick trading of creatures and the more board control oriented style of playing. I am running a Weenie focussed deck at the moment, just like everyone else who has just started playing I suppose.

Although I am usually able to quickly set up a decent amount of control/damage with Murlocks, Raid Leader, Novice Engineer and Shattered Sun Cleric, I have noticed that I sometimes have to rely on lucky draws to beat my opponent. My mid to late game consists of stuff like Fireball and Frostwolf Warlord but after the few big carts have hit the table, I start running into problems. Especially lots of direct damage (Warriors...) and tougher creatures, possibly with taunt, make it difficult for me to keep up my momentum.

So far I've only played as a mage but I've already seen some of the other hero abilities. The direct damage is nice, especially in combination with Polymorph, but the Warrior's Armor Up and the Warlock's Life Tap look strong too.

Will definitely play this for a while but most likely not spend any money.

Life tap is by many considered the best hero ability in the game. It's not necropotence, but it's good for similar reasons.

Paladin's 1/1 minions combined with the amount of buffs they have is pretty good too. I like druid's 1 dmg + 1 armor ability too, because if you're in a (rare) situation where you mostly use it to do damage to the opponent's hero, you can suddenly find yourself with a huge armor stack (think my best was around 14 armor and 30 health).

Just got from rank 19 to 15 by way of five consecutive wins. I think my warrior deck is a bit good.
    EDIT: Just missclicked my last arena pick. I was going to pick a second argent commander, got a murloc instead...
    It taunts me when I draw it, saying "I could be one of the best cards in the game, but I'm useless instead, HAHAHAHA."
    Update: That arena ended in a dissapointing three wins, wich would've been more had I the commander instead of the murloc. On the bright side of things I got a golden rare and a legendary on the pack.
    Last edited by Gorzan; 21-12-2013 at 12:15 PM.