Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Another 3/3 for me as well. I had to pick between rogue, druid and warlock, and all of those classes have given me horrible luck in the arena. Well, rogue I hadn't played yet in the arena, so I picked that one. I could pull off some nice combos with shadowstep and defias bandit, or shadowstep and shattered sun cleric. Shadowstep is a zero-cost card that returns a minion to your hand and reduces its cost by two, so any two-cost minion with a positive battlecry can be used twice for zero mana cost. If you get the defias combo you can just shadowstep it and play it again for no cost, which gets you a 2/2 and two 2/1s. Alternatively, if you have four mana you can play the shattered sun cleric, buff a minion, shadowstep it, and then play it again for another buff.

My most decisive game was against a paladin. I had five minions on the board and played a stormwind champion, whacked him for 22, then played cold blood for the fatal blow. In another game I won with only two health remaining, but in the three games I lost I just didn't stand a chance.

I just got myself a second monitor (for free from my brother) so I can browse the internetz while still keeping an eye on what's happening in Hearthstone. Some people just take ridiculously long time with their turns. I played against a guy who on every turn almost ran out of time. Most of my turns take me 5-10 seconds to do my thing. Faster if the animations didn't slow me down. Though that might explain why my last arena run ended with only two wins.

Speaking about epic Arena fights. Yesterday I had made quite a ludicrous warrior deck (four Fiery War Axe, four Warsong Commanders) My second game was against a mage, it lasted until both of us ran out of cards, when he lost due to having half as much life as I did. I think I could've made a good result if it weren't for some lucky adversaries (grumble grumble, topdeck hogger)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyturnedred View Post
    I played against a guy who on every turn almost ran out of time.
    Some people actually do this on purpose, to see if you concede out of being bored or frustrated.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    There was someone in the Kindness Club thread that had one to offer yesterday.
    I actually did notice it and ask for it, but someone else was faster there.
    Oh well, i wouldn't be playing it for the next few days anyway as out of town for christmas.

I've heard that "Good things happen to those who wait".
    I do believe it's pretty much a load of bollocks, but when it's my only option i guess i shall try :p

Merry christmas y'all, maybe i'll join you after it.

Maybe another opportunity will pop up in time, will keep my eyes peeled. Merry Christmas to you too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's an impressive game, all told. I like that it kind of works in short bursts, which is all the play time I ever have. They've nailed the physicality of the whole thing, so it all feels satisfying. Anyway, other than leveling in practice mode I played four games against Actual People, which is not a pleasure I've had in a while. My hastily cobbled together and barely tested Shaman deck won three out of four matches, which is neat. I like to imagine my opponents face when I have three or four minions out and hit Bloodlust. That sound effect never gets old, and they've been using it since Warcraft 2.

Incidentally, playing Warcraft 2 music while searching for an opponent really hits me in the nostalgia.

Network Hub
    Maybe another opportunity will pop up in time, will keep my eyes peeled. Merry Christmas to you too.
    Alas, a wild irritated fruit appeared and gave me a gift of key.

Hence it seems you can keep eyes peeled at the christmas dinner instead as the chef intended. I'd say that's win-win for both =)

I've been getting my ass handed to me in so many matches that I've resorted to playing Hearthstone standing up. I did manage one win with my priest deck but otherwise it's bad opening hands or just people with better desk that I'm up against. Is the matchmaker just setting me up with harder opponents the more I play?

I would say it is more likely that your deck has trouble dealing with the meta. Priest control seems to be pretty weak against the aggro decks which are all the rage atm. See Team Liquid's Trends in Hearthstone article on this topic too.

Network Hub
    The matchmaker seems to be working fine. I get matched with opponents who are clearly new to the rules, make obvious mistakes where I can only sigh, gasp and chuckle as if I knew the game so much better than them, and still lose horribly.

I would say it is more likely that your deck has trouble dealing with the meta. Priest control seems to be pretty weak against the aggro decks which are all the rage atm. See Team Liquid's Trends in Hearthstone article on this topic too.
    You misunderstand, I was losing with every character, not just the priest.

Network Hub
    Hoo, went into arena pretty much straight up. Picked mage out of the 3 options, proceed to see exactly 1 arcane explosion, fireball and frostbolt, 0 blizzards and no polys at all to pick from. Only spells i had well was firestorms (or what that 7 mana 4 dmg aoe was), picked 3 of 'em.

2-3 end result isn't that horrible i guess, but could have been much better (i did get too many 2-1's though, but i just picked what felt best of the 3. I don't want no damn murlocs =(

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I've been getting my ass handed to me in so many matches that I've resorted to playing Hearthstone standing up. I did manage one win with my priest deck but otherwise it's bad opening hands or just people with better desk that I'm up against. Is the matchmaker just setting me up with harder opponents the more I play?
    I'm having the same problem at the moment as well, I made a fairly simple Hunter deck which took me from 25 to 19 but now I've hit a wall with that and am only winning about 50% of matches. Every other new deck I've built with a different class I get destroyed with. I think the main problems are the fact that I don't have enough cards and the I don't really know what kind of cards or builds I'm likely to come up against just yet but that's all just part of the learning curve I guess.

I'm still having loads of fun though.
    Last edited by Elro; 23-12-2013 at 10:53 PM.

I just played a match against a paladin with a rogue that made up for everything. Pulled off combo's I couldn't believe. Mana Addict really carried the game: I was able to cast three spells in one turn that gave the mana addict +2 attack each, making it a 7/3. There was a tauren warrior, a young priestess with divine shield, an argent protector and a 2/2 recruit on the board, which I cleared with fan of knives (to ping off the shield), deadly poison, blade flurry. Hit him for seven. Two turns later I had a ravenholdt assassin on the board and my opponent had played three more minions, on which I used betrayal for +2 on the mana addict, attacked with the assassin, then shadowstepped the assassin for another +2 on the mana addict, attacked for 5 and played the assassin again. The turn after I gave the mana addict cold blood, which added up to another 7 damage hit. That's when he killed it with a hammer of wrath and played a defender of argus to give two minions taunt (and one divine shield) in a desperate attempt to save his remaining 3 health. But I Assassinated them both and delivered the killing blow with the ravenholdt. That was insane.

Edit: Next game a warlock double demonfires a flame imp. Back to losing!
    Last edited by LTK; 24-12-2013 at 01:02 AM.

Network Hub
    2nd Arena run (mage again). quite a lot of secrets and control, low amount of cheap creatures but some early stall (arcane explosion, mirror images, cone of colds). Slightly worried of my late game as no 8-8's or such and i again never saw a pyro or fireball, this time also saw 0 frostbolts...

1st game was slow struggle for both me and enemy druid, won in the end (i think my mana curve was higher or his top deck hated him).

2nd game was secrets galore (of my 6 first cards 3 were secrets and i had secret keeper). He killed the keeper fast enough (smartly), but i ended up gaining a free Savannah Highmane (i don't remember what the other copy i gained was). Some decent aoe and that hunter went down to his own lion in the end.

3rd game the enemy druid goes for hard burn on me straight off. When i land at 13 health, he has still full 30 left and 3 armor.
    At that point i drop a Ghoul and blast his last creep off board, coin into mirror images. He has no answer to it next turn (he nibbles at one of the mirrors but don't remember what else he did, i proceed to drop a harpy with windfury in there, he swipes at it and eats the last of my taunts, ghoul is 5/1 and harpy is 4/1. I drop wolf between those 2 and another creature (i think water elemental). Hit him for 16. He drops the 8-8 taunt, i silence him with spellbreaker and he WP - concedes before the inevitable.

Now i guess it's time to go get 3 losses in a row :p

*edit*

4th game: Priest who gave me total field control. Was easiest game thus far.

5th game: Shaman, Fire elementals are terrifying, killed some good targets with those and had good rolls on totems (sure, pull that god damn healing totem when you got 3 injured creeps there, and pull 2 taunts when needed <.<). Luckily enough he played low and mid hp targets so Archmage boosted cone of cold took out 3 mobs, and blizzard next turn meant 2 turns of free Abomination and Archmage hitting on him.

5-0 thus far.

*more edit*

6th game: Druid iirc. i never in my ~16 cards drawn, manage to pull anything at price 4+ except a blizzard. I got owned hard.

7th game: Shaman, quite similar to the first game in this run, drawn out but one guy slowly wins. Unfortunately this time it wasn't me.
    5-2

8th game, quite uneventful, i did get few nice plays in it and manage to win it, I'm starting to like my winfury harpy.

9th game, shaman with an axe in hand looking at my 4 hp with 26 on himself. Managed to turn that game still around with some nice secrets and a lot of crowd control and aoe. nova, blizzard and 2 flamestrikes clears a lot of weenies, and mirror entities says i'm trading your creatures for your creatures. Vaporize stops a charger before finish line.

10th, Warlock. Gave me quite some breathing space in early-mid, then slammed a summoning portal and 4 other creeps down. Frost nova, Ogre magi turn for me.
    He filled his board to 7, i flame striked (Flame struck?). He was about half a dozen cards ahead of me on draw but i had creeps on board, his was wiped, and i had some good stuff in my hand (2 polys and an ogre) where as he had only 2 cards in hand. Went downhill for him after that.

11th, Shaman. Similar to that 10th game, he went for a weeny board of 6, i went for flame strike and wiped it.

12th, Paladin. He had a really good card engine (engineer, into youthful brewmaster after he took my squires shield down and then recast. unfortunately for him it meant that i kept having board control and could trade up really well so things were even. Mirror Image into Ghoul and then trading what i had on board before started snowball for me, and he never recovered. After he killed the images, i dropped Sunwalker so by the time he killed my ghoul (was 9-3) he'd used so much resources on it that i could get him low enough that he took the Honorable way and Hammer of Wrathed his last hp's off.

13th: Shaman again, I get early lead and am getting hyped. Earth Elemental comes down. WTF IS THAT SHIT AND ITS 5 MANA COST?!? (I know, 3 overload is pretty huge). He lands at 4 hp when i got about 25, and he almost does to me what i did to the 9th game guy. His next turn would have been atleast close to kill (i think i would have been left with 2-3 hp or such if he pulled nothing immediate from top deck) but i finally find a silence to get rid of his latest taunt totem and finish it with my Archmage tha's been on field for a while (I were stuck at taunts for last 3 turns.

14th: Warrior. Excellent starting hand, coin into double argent squire, with 2nd turn alpha wolf, i kill his 2 first creatures and he kills the wolf with an axe. I get nothing to play on 4th turn really, he now has 2*2hp creatures and the troll taunt. I drop Abomination there and sacrifice the non-shielded squire to drop troll to 4hp. He grabs Arcanite Reaper and makes mincemeat out of abomination, and his troll finishes my squire. Didn't get my big guns out but he was forced to kill quite a few of my creatures with weapons, slowly edging us into even cards but he's at 11 hp, i'm at 21. He drops a few scary guys but i either sheep or trade 'em, and in the end he has 3 creatures out but i cone of cold them and have 5-7 and 4-7 out and he has nothing to stop my next turn kill so he concedes.

12-2, Arena Finished!

unfortunately i think it's because i'm on a computer that has only half of the recommended memory (1gb), then end screens for last 3 games froze for me so had to quit=>restart. It seems i won 485 gold and 1 pack at least, no dust.

Now i'm off to take a well earned cognac and enjoy the christmas eve =)
    Last edited by Graerth; 24-12-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: more games

Just lost an arena run due to a random dc, wich makes me angry....

Quote Originally Posted by Graerth View Post
    12-2, Arena Finished!

unfortunately i think it's because i'm on a computer that has only half of the recommended memory (1gb), then end screens for last 3 games froze for me so had to quit=>restart. It seems i won 485 gold and 1 pack at least, no dust.

Now i'm off to take a well earned cognac and enjoy the christmas eve =)
    Holy shit, that was your second arena run ever? How.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Holy shit, that was your second arena run ever? How.
    Yes, was 2nd arena run ever (i've actually played about half a dozen games against actual people before i started that run and i were somewhat skeptical of my draft there).

Game kept trying to shove pirates and murlocs at me, so my mana curve was a bit silly looking, and i were very low on single target nukes. The first picture shows most of my draft, i had 1 mirror image (the 1cost spell that spawns 2 of 0-2 taunts) and 2 argent squires (1 mana for 1-1 creature that has divine shield).

2nd picture shows the win screen, as said, it bugged out like all last 3 wins so i didn't get the whole win animation, just saw key there.

Pretty good aoe clear and some nice play chances, high mana curve meant problems in few games but then again most of my cards would trade well (secrets either kill one of his cards, or give me 1 that he made).

*edit* Why'd it automatically make my attached images terribad? Anyone know what's the size limit is so i could fix it (as they are 1.1-1.4Mb at default)?

**edit*edit**

Eh, i'll just write the draft as picture is shit, in price order, amount is after:

1 Mirror Image
    1 Argent Squire *2
    1 Secretkeeper
    2 Arcane Explosion
    2 Amani Berserker
    2 Dire Wolf Alpha *2
    2 Kobold Geomancer
    3 Frost Nova
    3 Mirror Entity *2
    3 Vaporize
    3 Flesheating Ghoul
    4 Cone of Cold *2
    4 Polymorph *2
    4 Cult Master
    4 Ogre Mage
    4 Spellbreaker
    4 Water Elemental
    5 Abomination
    6 Blizzard
    6 Archmage
    6 Boulderfist Ogre
    6 Sunwalker
    6 Windfury Harpy
    7 Flamestrike *2
    Last edited by Graerth; 24-12-2013 at 02:21 PM.

You can double-click pics during posting process to scale them.

Network Hub
    Played a bit more arenas which were somewhat "grounding" experience in their 6-3, 3-3, 2-3 results. Some misplays (a few quite big ones where i went "why did i do that...i shouldn't have done that" as the card fell down and some horrible drafts:

No game, i do not want that 5th wisp and not the frigging pirate either as i can't get a single weapon. I would appreciate 1 aoe spell though?
    no?
    okay :(

btw, starting to think i could start to play some constructed at some point once i get a few more packs from arenas (as in, run out of gold to go in again or got something decent done).

How do the friends list matches work and would any be interested in friendly matches now and then? Could be fun to test some decks and such, sent invites to all i noticed in fast skim of thread, and if anyone wants the nick later i'm Graerth#2498 in the game.
    Last edited by Graerth; 26-12-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Friendslist stuff