Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar

Give me your cheapo monitor advice

My monitor seems to be giving up on life and has started the final preparations for suicide. I was planning to get a new shinier one in any case, but not quite yet since Christmas travels and other joyous seasonal spending means my budget is rather limited at the moment. I need my PC working though, so the plan for now is to buy a cheaper monitor that I can switch to using as a secondary screen later on. My budget for this is around the equivalent of 200, it's somewhat flexible but I don't want to go too much higher than that. This is not going to be used as a main display for games for more than a month or two at most.

So, things I should think about or avoid? Is it worth forking over a little extra for an IPS panel? Any specific recommendations?

For 200 quid you can probably get a Dell U2412M, which has a 24" 1920x1200 IPS panel. More vertical pixels is awesome, and the screen gets favorable reviews.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    For 200 quid you can probably get a Dell U2412M, which has a 24" 1920x1200 IPS panel. More vertical pixels is awesome, and the screen gets favorable reviews.
    ^ I concur. I've had a U2410 for a year and a bit now and picture quality etc is fantastic. Also Dells are pretty robust in terms of build quality.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Bear in mind that if you plan to use nVidia Surround for multi-monitor gaming, it's astonishingly picky about monitors and basically requires 3 IDENTICAL monitors (even same-model monitors bought over a period of months may not work due to changes in things like sync polarity between panels).

ATI's equiv. is a bit less picky but even then, if you're thinking "multi monitor" you really want IDENTICAL screens and so whatever you buy now needs to match anything you own/buy in future.

I'm using an LG 24" IPS4 (1920x1080) panel I paid 120 for earlier this year and it's great (and your budget might snag 2!!). Only downside is a slightly cheapo/wobbly stand but it has a tilt (which many stands lack) and unless you're planning to dance on your desk you won't notice the wobble much :)

Thanks gentlemen, I remembered I still had my old CRT up in the attic and hauled the bastard down this morning. It's a pain in the bottom and takes up way too much space (did we have bigger desks back in ancient times?) but it'll tide me over until I get home from new years so I don't have to brave the blizzards and polar bears and fight through hordes of Christmas shoppers.

The Dell screen does look nice and can indeed be had for under 200 over here (though I can't find any local shops that have it in so it'd have to be ordered) so I'll give that a closer look. I ideally want a 27" screen as my main monitor and a smaller one on the side so I can keep looking at funny animal gifs while gaming or drawing, so if anyone has tips about good 27 inchers that would also be very welcome.

Network Hub
    I can send you a shitty 1366x768 (TN, I think) monitor for the cost of postage (unless you live close enough to pick it up from the Cardiff/Bridgend area in which case it's free). It works, but you're obviously not getting a warranty if you go this route :p

Cheers, but I live in Sweden so it's not really practical. I appreciate the offer though. :)

I'm sorted for the time being and will have enough time to do some proper looking into what screen I want to buy after new years.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Since I doubt this information will change much in the next month: A decent 2560x1440 monitor (and if you're going that big, why bother with 1080p?) is going to run you more than 200. There's a few Korean monitors in that price range, specifically the QNIX QX2710, but you're gambling on factory-reject panels and no matter what you're getting a POS stand so unless you're willing to provide your own mount and extend your budget a bit your neck will thank you to steer clear.

I upgraded from a 24" 16:9 to the U2412M and couldn't be happier. When I was looking around a month ago, there were really only two other options, both from ASUS: the PB248Q and the VS24AH-P. The PB248Q uses the exact same panel as the U2412M but has a different matte coating that allows for a clearer image but also costs a bit more. I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong here) that it can render 1080p signal at native resolution with letterboxing whereas the U2412M will stretch it, but that shouldn't be an issue if you're only using it with your computer. The VS24AH-P is significantly cheaper and uses a newer panel, but it's very barebones feature-wise and the stand isn't very good. The PB248Q isn't available in the states and I need a monitor with adjustable height at the very least, so the choice was easy. I have a nasty habit of bouncing my leg at my computer and my old Samsung and Gateway monitors wobble a bit from the movement but the Dell stands firm. Take that how you will.

Of course, if you're not dead-set on a 27" or 16:10 you can save quite a bit by getting a 23.8" 1080p. 16:10 is sadly a niche market and the prices reflect.

The 200 wasn't the budget for a 27" monitor, I was planning to get one of those in the new year anyway and expected to spend quite a bit more for that. My old monitor suddenly died on me and I needed a replacement before Christmas which has already eaten most of my frivolous spending budget, thus the constraints.

Sorry for being confusing and thanks for the info. Looking at online prices the ASUS screens are only 20-30 more expensive than the Dell U2412M here so definitely worth looking into as well.

I bought a few Months ago an IPS 235 from LG , noticed eyestrain and suspected this http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles...modulation.htm to be the Problem.
    It can be tested by simple moving your hand between the screen and your eyes on Low and Maximum Brightness.
    Turning up brightness to 100 % removed this but i nonetheless got a second Monitor, the Benq RL2455HM (TN panel) which uses no PWM technology.

They are both around 170 .
    They are both quite good,so here the differences i found:

LG ips235 :
    Good:
    Clear Colors,*huge* viewing Angles,Game capable.
    Bad:
    The Screen is a bit smaller than the 2455.Movement is a bit less fluid than the Tn-panel (Shooters/Webscrolling)
    The Black has a light bluish tint (but i had not noticed it,until i set it up beside the 2455 and had them display the same Picture)

Benq RL2455 :
    Good:
    nearly as good Colors as the 235,Larger Screen, (strangely enough) better looking Contrast.a bit more fluid Movement (Shooters/scrolling Websites)
    Bad:
    light Ghosting (moving Objects trail a negative of themselves), narrow viewing Angle (usual Tn-Panel Problem).Black has a reddish tint in Comparison (to Ips 235).

The 1 ms g2g Time of the Rl2455hm , in Comparison to the 5 ms of the 235 did not make that much difference as i expected.

I think about returning the Rl2455hm inside the 14 Day return Policy (European Law).
    The Difference (to the 235) is not that great, and Games look a bit better but the Contrast loss (upper and Lower Screen) is noticable in Dark Game Scenarios.Also the ghosting is annoying.

My next Monitor will be an Ips Monitor with max 5 ms g2g ,and 120 or above Hz.
    This (i assume) would get me the fluid Motion and high viewing Angles i desire.

PS:
    If you get your new Monitor,this Site is useful adjusting all Values:http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
    Great Search Engine for Game bargains:
    http://isthereanydeal.com/?by=price:asc

Activated Node
    I was going to start a new thread regarding monitors, but I might as well get involved with this one. I'm after a decent-ish monitor for about 150. Currently I've got a Samsung syncmaster 22" which I've had for about 6 years (I just can't say goodbye) and I think finally it's starting to fail. So, I need a replacement.

My Samsung monitor is 1680 x 1050. What I would like to know is, what impact on framerate will my setup have (AMD 7850 2gb overclocked super duper x edition thing, 8gb ram, and a Q6600 OC'd at 3.0ghz, which I will be replacing as and when necessary, probably within the next 6 months or so, depending on what games will be requiring around that time) if I buy a monitor that can run at true 1080p and above? I can run games such as Bioshock Infinite, Sleeping Dogs, and Tomb Raider at full pelt with no real framerate issues (although I do have to turn AA down to about 4x for most games), so would the higher resolution cause any issues? I'm not really fussy about having consistent 60 fps, as long as it's a smooth, consistent 40+ then it's fine by me.

So any advice, insight, technical hints and tips etc, that any of you may have (it's been over half a decade since I last did any real research in this department) would be much appreciated. I'm thinking something around 24" would be ok for the price I'm looking for, although I'll listen to anyone telling me that I could go bigger with a 27" or similar, as long as it's around the mentioned price, and wouldn't strain my system too much.

OP, I'm happy to start a new thread if you want, I just didn't want to be a burden and create another thread about a similar topic. Apologies if you might think I'm being rude!

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens89 View Post
    OP, I'm happy to start a new thread if you want, I just didn't want to be a burden and create another thread about a similar topic. Apologies if you might think I'm being rude!
    Don't mind at all. :)

As for the performance question, it's an extra 240x30 pixels, not exactly a huge increase and I can't imagine you'd notice much difference other than in the most extreme of graphics-card torturers, if even there.

There's a few Korean monitors in that price range, specifically the QNIX QX2710, but you're gambling on factory-reject panels and no matter what you're getting a POS stand so unless you're willing to provide your own mount and extend your budget a bit your neck will thank you to steer clear.
    FWIW, I love my Qnix. No dead pixels or anything, and I like the colors more than on my U2412M (which is now my secondary). And the added real estate of a 1440p screen is awesome for work and play.
    The stand is pretty bad, I admit that.

Currently I've got a Samsung syncmaster 22" which I've had for about 6 years (I just can't say goodbye) and I think finally it's starting to fail. So, I need a replacement.
    If it's a 226BW it is most likely some failing capacitors which can be fixed with a few new ones and a soldering iron. Total cost is probably 5 bucks then, if you prefer that route.
    Just throwing it out there, we did this with mine a year ago or so. Here's a video with cheesy music to show you what to do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    If it's a 226BW it is most likely some failing capacitors which can be fixed with a few new ones and a soldering iron. Total cost is probably 5 bucks then, if you prefer that route.
    Just throwing it out there, we did this with mine a year ago or so. Here's a video with cheesy music to show you what to do.
    Yeah I had that problem and got a friend with a soldering iron to fix it for me. Great monitor otherwise. I retired it when I got the Dell. Though if I ever get a bigger desk it will be my second monitor.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    FWIW, I love my Qnix. No dead pixels or anything, and I like the colors more than on my U2412M (which is now my secondary). And the added real estate of a 1440p screen is awesome for work and play.
    The stand is pretty bad, I admit that.
    Hey, I almost pulled the trigger on one, and for that price I can't blame you.