Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Smartphones

Obscure Node
    Huawei Ascend G300

Network Hub
    Huawei; because why only be spied on by one Government agency, when you can add the Chinese to the list.

I know virtually nothing about phones.

I'm looking for a relatively cheap phone (about 20-25 a month) that I can play games on, any suggestions?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The Nexus 5 looks soooooo good :)

http://www.google.com/nexus/5/

I bought a Nexus 4 for $300.

I will wait for the Nexus 5 to drop in price then buy new, and probably sell off my Nexus 4.

In retrospect I should've waited for the Nexus 5, because I really wanted a 1080p screen and stuff, and especially 5 inches screen.

Nexus 4 was my first proper smartphone though, so I am still very happy with it and don't mind waiting :)

I may just wait for the next Google phone honestly lol.

^Try browsing the lower end Android selection, there are some really good phones I'm sure. Maybe a Samsung S2 or an old Google Nexus S or something.
    Last edited by rockman29; 02-11-2013 at 10:02 PM.

I wouldn't recommend a Nexus S at this point. The Galaxy Nexus will probably set you back the same amount and is a better phone. Probably the Nexus 4 will show up for low prices now as well, as the early adopters are selling theirs to get a Nexus 5.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I can't remember what the diff between a Nexus S and Galaxy S is tbh hehehe, wasn't into phones at that point.

I would recommend the Nexus 4 actually too. It's only $199 for the 8 GB model I believe, great value. It's a top end chip, good resolution, 4.7 in screen. Runs any application or game you throw at it.

Also great for emulators XD

Not sure when the next "huge" upgrades for phone hardware are coming. The Nexus 4 and 5 both have 8 MP cameras. The newest Sony phones have 13 MP, but those are much more expensive off-contract.

Hardware wise, both Nexus 4 and 5 both have 2 GB RAM, and comparable CPUs, though the 5's runs at a higher clock and has a better GPU (both use Qualcomm).

So really a Nexus 4 is probably the best phone for the budget conscious guy, and it's still a great phone for anyone else. I highly recommend it, I really love mine, works great :)

If you buy a Nexus 4 you also get the KitKat 4.4 Android soon also. All the Google devices are getting it (except for the much older phones from Google I think like the Nexus S or something).
    Last edited by rockman29; 02-11-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    As for "playing all games" - no Android device plays 'all games', there are issues here and there with almost everything (just as there are with PCs) but for the best possible coverage you want

1 - a phone which runs Jelly Bean or later - pref. with a multi-core CPU
    2 - a BIG screen - (at least 4.5") to support ports/emulators etc. better - proper HD (1280x720ish) or better
    3 - a popular phone - the more popular a phone is, the more likely popular games work on it - obscure imported handsets have NO CHANCE of this
    4 - a flexible attitude when things don't work because - well - that's Android for you (see also iOS when it comes to older devices too)

Devices like the Galaxy S or even S2 are pretty much outdated now - the game has moved on and they struggle in terms of memory and CPU power making games (and even some apps) run like crap.

I currently have a Galaxy S and it was extremely sluggish (and has now gone to calculator heaven).
    Is an android or an Iphone better for games in terms of selection and quality?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    iPhone is probably best, but android is catching up.
    Android is probably best for things like emulators and free/open source games. (and humble bundles)
    A lot of professionally made android games are on iphone, but a lot of iphone games aren't on android.
    Though there are probably enough games on either platform to keep you busy.

Though it depends what you want. I've never had an iphone, so I don't have any personal experience on that front.

Just a quick question to all of you savvy people: the missus and I bought the same smartphone about two years ago, two Samsung Galaxy Gio's. Both phones have suffered from a similar problem the last few weeks. The battery suddenly empties really fast (from 100% to 40% in a day, while the phone is not being used - using the phone accelerates this). We used to be able to recharge the battery every few days, but we need to charge them almost every day now. Has anyone experienced the same issue? Should we buy new phones, or is there a way to solve this problem?

It's a wonder you didn't have to charge daily, to be honest.

If you're rooted, you can install something like Wakelock Detector to see if something is turning on your phone in your pocket. For me that was Facebook, and I don't really care a lot about that, so I used Greenify to stop it from working in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Just a quick question to all of you savvy people: the missus and I bought the same smartphone about two years ago, two Samsung Galaxy Gio's. Both phones have suffered from a similar problem the last few weeks. The battery suddenly empties really fast (from 100% to 40% in a day, while the phone is not being used - using the phone accelerates this). We used to be able to recharge the battery every few days, but we need to charge them almost every day now. Has anyone experienced the same issue? Should we buy new phones, or is there a way to solve this problem?
    You could try letting the battery drain empty (not really possible, but at least until the phone turns completely off) and then recharge it. It sometimes helps. Rechargeable batteries tend to start behaving weirdly after lots of partial recharges.

Never had a smartphone, but my very basic Nokia has the same problem and letting it run dry works. Same with my parents' phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    You could try letting the battery drain empty (not really possible, but at least until the phone turns completely off) and then recharge it. It sometimes helps. Rechargeable batteries tend to start behaving weirdly after lots of partial recharges.

Never had a smartphone, but my very basic Nokia has the same problem and letting it run dry works. Same with my parents' phones.
    I already tried that, to no avail :(

Is there a significant difference between the Iphone 4 and 5 when it comes to games?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I would seriously recommend the Nexus 5 over the Iphone 5.

I have a few friends who have purchased one.... it is a beautiful thing. The 4.99 inch and 1080p screen is unbelievable, and you get the newest OS KitKat immediately. The OS is buttery smooth and support for games on Google Play is great, plus you get a lot of the atypical stuff like emulators and everything which work amazing too.

Services wise... hard to compete with native Google Maps support and Hangouts jazz which doubles as the SMS messenger.

All the games can be seen on Google Play to get an impression of what is there... my personal favourite game is Carmageddon (the original is on Gplay).

I really do not understand going for an iPhone over a Nexus 5 unless your preference is to only use iOS

Full disclosure: my preference is Android

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    Is there a significant difference between the Iphone 4 and 5 when it comes to games?
    Depends if you mean a 4 or a 4S, but the 4 is definitely showing its age and won't be able to cope with lots of the more intensive games; the 4S might have similar issues (it is now two years old, which is the "standard" life of a phone).

Obscure Node
    If you want a phone for gaming, for me I prefer the screen to be big. Currently I am using Samsung Note 3 and it's perfect. It runs on 3GB ram and 32GB built in memory.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    Apples insane idea to change the screen size/format for one...

The iPhone vs Android (vs Blackberry and Windows if you must) question is one you HAVE to answer for yourself really.

iOS offers a massive range of amazing apps - you don't have Apple nannying you on content. The iPad is unrivalled as a tablet (Android tablet apps have been really slow to appear - most are still just 'big phone' apps) and if you use OSX or intend to develop for iOS then it's a no-brainer to use iOS devices.

Android is much more open and can basically do more things - but that openness brings with it compatibility issues and other snags - and Android lacks some of the better games and apps on iOS too.

The other 2 are for people who just HAVE to be different and don't mind missing out.

I'm actually pretty happy with an Android phone and an iPad Tablet - I think it's a good mix.
    Last edited by trjp; 20-11-2013 at 01:46 PM.