Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smartphones

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathPig View Post
    And btw, are all Andriod apps this small? Anything I've seen has not gone over 10 MB, and some of them dominate the <1MB realm. Or are these just apps for some smaller phones like the Galaxy Y, which have low resolutions?
    Grats on the purchase!

Yes, most apps are 20MB or smaller. Some games (like GTA3 and Max Payne) are nearly 2GB but most apps are astonishingly small. Even some fully 3D, surprisingly gorgeous mobile MMOs are only 100MB or so.

Time for further thread hijack

Anybody got any suggestions on phones with a 'proper' non-touchscreen keyboard?

I use a blackberry for work and it works a charm for sending emails, but I think the screen is a bit small for a what I'd like in a personal phone.

Main things for me are
    - proper keyboard, not touchscreen (we don't get on - they ignore me no matter how roughly or lovingly I caress them)
    - largish screen
    - usage of google maps

I couldn't care less about
    - camera
    - apps in general, although I'd like to play the occasional game now and then
    - cost
    - I should add further to the above, I'm not averse to touchscreen entirely, just for the keyboard.

Anyone know of such a device? I suspect nothing exists but I'm hoping someone will prove me wrong

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I was also averse to on-screen keyboard initially. Then I started using Swype.

It might sound like a bad advert, but I have to say Swype's (or other similar competitors like SlideIT) method of input makes it amazingly good to write on a touchscreen. It's also free (in beta) so it's worth a shot.

Otherwise, I'm afraid keyboards are going the way of the dodo. There are a few smartphones with them, but they're far from flagship phones. You might instead want to look into "keyboard cases", for a lack of a better term. They're usually Bluetooth keyboards that attach to a phone as a case and thus provide both protection and a built-in keyboard at the expense of more weight and a larger size. The bonus is obviously that you can remove the keyboard if you don't want it anymore.

I've never really been on the market for one, so I wouldn't be able to give you tips as to which is good, but you could look for what phones have such cases and make your choice from that. It's either that or going for an older phone like the original Moto Droid which had a built-in keyboard.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
    It's either that or going for an older phone like the original Moto Droid which had a built-in keyboard.
    Don't bother, the Droid's keyboard is crap.

But a quick search turned up a list of new Android phones with QWERTY keyboards:

http://www.androidauthority.com/best...es-2012-55315/

I can't tell you anything specific about them, but brand-wise I'd lean towards Samsung. They made the last two Nexus phones, which are excellent (but lacking keyboards).

Network Hub
    I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I was also averse to on-screen keyboard initially. Then I started using Swype.

It might sound like a bad advert, but I have to say Swype's (or other similar competitors like SlideIT) method of input makes it amazingly good to write on a touchscreen. It's also free (in beta) so it's worth a shot.
    Swype is BRILLIANT. Been using it nearly a year and I can't do without it. Ordinary iPhone and Android touchscreen keyboards are crapola in comparison. I can type about 40 words per minute with Swype with few errors.

To my great surprise, I'm also relying more on speech-to-text transliteration. Android has quite a good built-in dictation engine, and Swype's Dragon Naturally Speaking dictation is pretty good also (though Android's is better). It's a very good alternative to keying in text letter by letter.

There are many Android handsets with slide-out keyboards which give the best of both worlds - hardware keys and a full-sized touchscreen. I don't think there are any high-end phones with hardware keys, though.

Try Swype and give it a good couple of days before you write it off - it's effortless to learn but the challenge is remembering where keys are and appreciating the "shape" of words. Failing that, try voice dictation. You could also try using a stylus to tap keys or drive handwriting recognition software, and a larger phone like the Galaxy Note would make this very comfortable.

Network Hub
    I'm hijacking this thread as well because I want to brag. I rooted my Galaxy Nexus, unlocked the bootloader, and installed the 4.1 Jelly Bean prerelease OS. It was a very rewarding experience, and Google actually sent me an automated email congratulating me on unlocking my phone, confirming that I can now use it unhindered on any of its worldwide carriers! Google is super cool for being pro-hacking!

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Don't bother, the Droid's keyboard is crap.

But a quick search turned up a list of new Android phones with QWERTY keyboards:

http://www.androidauthority.com/best...es-2012-55315/

I can't tell you anything specific about them, but brand-wise I'd lean towards Samsung. They made the last two Nexus phones, which are excellent (but lacking keyboards).
    Interesting, the Samsung Captivate Glide looks really useful, I think my only worry would be the battery life but I guess thems the breaks if you want a bigger screen.

Thanks for the recommendation, if I get the opportunity I'll give it a go but I suspect I'll have the same problem. Its not that I have an issue with touchscreens per se, but that they have a problem with me - specifically registering the fact I have touched them; clearly I have weird fingers or some such.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Are you sure your phone's not at cause? I know I (mistakenly) sprung for a Kobo Vox and its touchscreen has been ridiculously unresponsive, especially in comparison to my Nexus S. While the Vox might be a particularly bad example as it's a cheap as hell tablet, you could've just stumbled on a lemon.

I say this because most often touchscreens are *too* sensitive, not the opposite. They'll sometimes react when you're just hovering above them, since capacitive tech doesn't actually need contact to trigger.

Still, try Swype. It's unlike any other keyboard out there and it very well may negate the issues you've been having.

Network Hub
    Unresponsive touchscreens are often an issue of slow or oversaturated CPUs. My first smartphone was an entry-level clunker and it often ignored or half-obeyed my commands because it was too busy remembering to breathe. My current phone has a faster CPU and is far more obedient.

Or in my father-in-law's case, the callouses on his fingers from lifelong guitar plucking are like a cloaking device for touchscreens. He has to use his knuckles.
    Last edited by djbriandamage; 05-07-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Your father-in-law needs capacitive gloves ;)

Network Hub
    or maybe a 5 minute appointment with a belt sander

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I've had a cursory glance through the thread, but nothing too concrete. If this request is equal to something else said, I'd be highly appreciative, if not out-right thankful, if someone could direct me to said relevant post. Anyhow...

I am a man. More importantly, I am a man looking for a smart-phone.

Two and a half considerations, otherwise I'm open-game.
    1. Budget of around 150, I guess. Or much below if something I want (description below) fits better.
    2. Is Android powered. I'm open to other suggestions, but I will out-right refuse to use an iPhone.
    2.5. Can be used on an O2 network.

My friend recently introduced me to GiffGaff, which is considerably better than what I currently have (10/m for 200m, unlimited texts vs. the same amount, but for 250m, unlimited texts and internet). Thing is, to make the most of that, it would seem silly to not have a smart phone to get the most out of it (even if it isn't already better now). At the same time, my phone is over 6 years old and the model has probably been around for at least a year prior, so I think an upgrade is in order. Not to mention I'm growing increasingly concerned that difficulties I'm having hearing are to do with the fact that the phone is just showing its age.

In this new phone, I'm looking for something that is good (hence the budget) but obviously isn't top-of-the-range. By that, I mean something that won't make me wish I had spent 10 more to get something noticeably better, a problem you tend to encounter if you spend less. I was thinking perhaps more a good model that is maybe a year or so old and has been replaced by the next top-of-the-range thing, but my knowledge in smart phones is rather lacking, so I acknowledge I'm mostly sprouting crap.

Assistance will be showered with gratitude and a virtual hug. Thanks in advance!