Fan speed controller

This is driving me crazy, I just can't figure it out: I hate the changing noise my PC fans make when they speed up and slow down. I would prefer it to have 3 settings: silent (for overnight); quiet (for just surfing the web) and max loudness (for games). I don't want it whirring up and down between speeds when I just open a new browser window or something. I've spent ages with Speedfan but I can't understand it, the best I managed to do was just set it to full speed fans all the time which was overkill but at least it didn't whirr up and down. Any help?

Activated Node
    I'd also be interested. My fan merrily runs as fast as it can around 98% of the time, despite my gubbins not getting hot (as scientifically checked by me. By prodding it with things).

Check if your mainboard manufacturer offers any tools to control fan speed. Most of the stuff Asus et al offer is a little on the bloatware side, but it should get the job done.

Also - are you sure which fans change speeds often (CPU, GPU, case)? For GPU fan control RivaTuner works well, for example.

Network Hub
    have a look in your BIOS. you might have a thermal management section, but very few do.

if you do, you can set fan speed/noise levels dependant on CPU/System/PWM temps usually, but it is trial and error. if you have one of the venerable Abit boards (i wish they were still in business :'() like the AB9 or QuadGT, they have a uGuru chip that allows for fine tuning of fan speeds- my PC goes from almost totally silent all the way to dyson-baiting epic loudness at the touch of a button.

MSI Afterburner is great for direct control of GPU fan speeds, both ATI and Riva. It can be set to always load when you start up, it's very easy to use, and you can be very particular about how much fan you want at exactly what temperatures.

Activated Node
    I bought a cheap three fan controller box for my PC. I just dial the fans to an appropriately quiet setting and the PC stays nice and cool too. I've never liked the bios tools for fan control as they always seemed a bit flakey.

Thanks for replying, I've spent a while trying these things out. I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT and it does have some bios fan control, but it's that that is driving me nuts I think. It's not loud, it just changes too often. I've tried to get my head around Speedfan which I think is saying it is the processor fan that constantly revs up and down, but I can't figure out how to prevent it. I might go for a hardware fan controller, but it would be nice if it automatically went fast when I started a game so I don't forget and cook my computer.

If the fan is too sensitive, constantly speeding up or slowing down, you need to adjust the settings in Speedfan. Can't remember how to do it off the top of my head, but there should be something on the Speedfan site, or check the forums. I think you just need to bump up the 'desired' temperature a little, or something.

After many hours, I think I have a solution. Gave up on speedfan, bios settings etc and tried something called EasyTune6 which is easier to tune. Thanks for the help.

Ah, it turns out that Easy Tune 6 has broken my Creative X-Fi Titanium so now it crackles, it even keeps crackling a bit with Easy Tune removed. Now I have annoying fan noise again and added bonus crackly music. Back to the drawing board.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I use EVGA precision (I have a Nvidia)

I'm tellin' ya, try out that MSI Afterburner mentioned above. ;)

I'm trying MSI Afterburner, but I think it is just the GPU fan controls. I mainly have a problem with the CPU fan changing RPM too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Leach View Post
    I'd also be interested. My fan merrily runs as fast as it can around 98% of the time, despite my gubbins not getting hot (as scientifically checked by me. By prodding it with things).
    Friend of mine had a laser temp reader, it was sweet, you bet. Used it to verify a 9800 board was overheating an old computer of mine (I was modding an old Gateway, had a POS case).

OP: If the fan is the stock one you might consider a new one that's quieter. Myself, I've never noticed CPU fans speeding up, it's always the GPU(s) with their smaller ones that can start an annoying whine. Might just be a cheap POS fan, or it's about to give up the ghost. Or perhaps adding some case fans would take the strain off it, improve your airflow. Of course, more fans, more noise, even with the better models.

Still, it sounds like the culprit is the BIOS. I have a Gigabyte also, and can confirm EasyTune is best avoided.

Yeah, I'm surprised your noise is coming from your CPU fan. That's unusual within my experience.

Speedfan works for most things. http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Network Hub
    If it's definately the CPU fan causing the issue then you might want to think about replacing the cooler for something better - the stock coolers tend to be pretty small so I guess that could lead to more frequent revving-up/down (plus smaller fans need to run faster thus are more noisy).

Come to think of it I have a Tuniq Tower 120 going spare at the moment, it's got a 12CM fan and has a speed control mounted to a PCI backplate rather than using the BIOS for speed control. It's fucking huge though, so it won't fit a lot of cases (hence it's going spare...).

Thanks for the help and offers, it is definitely my CPU fan and it isn't a stock fan, it's actually some big elaborate Zalman silent thingy. The problem is that although it is quite quiet it changes pitch a lot, I think it's the crappy BIOS fan speed controller that has too small a variance. So if the CPU gets one degree hotter it speeds the fan up 50% and then back down, and repeat.

I fixed it with Speedfan for a few days but it has mysteriously stopped working. I think of all the software I have ever used, Speedfan is the least user friendly.

Speedfan has a horrible GUI :D

However, are you sure that your BIOS settings for fan management are correct? You might have a temperature setting in there that can fix it for you, like "spin up above this temp".