Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe DayZ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar

Maybe DayZ?

Who thinks they might end up getting dayz? I'm inclined to buy it in early access because I trust rocket and bohemia but it's only worth it if there will be others I know playing too since it looks like the meta game will involve player owned bases.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

These are my thoughts entirely Wally. I'm between a rock and a hard place on this one. The experiences i had with friends playing the Arma2 mod were some of the best i've had in any game... However, will the standalone have that same atmosphere? Who knows.

I am however willing to give it a punt if others are too!
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Network Hub
    I could probably be persuaded; I wasn't into online play with larger groups of people back when the mod came out (PS2 sorted that one out in winter 2012 ) but I was deeply intrigued by the game, read a lot about it, watched a fair few vids... having played PS2 and Arma3 with you lot now, it seems like a great chance to give it a go.

Winter caveats apply, I'm not in a position to be devoting lots of time to anything but work until probs the end of January, but if enough other people go for it I'll likely do so too and jump in when I can.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    The alpha looks like an absolute mess right now, as ive been watching some videos to see if I want it now or later.

I think this one will be a later for me, but ill be interested in joining in once its been ironed out a bit.

I can definitely see improvement from the mod, but its still nowhere near polished enough to consider buying yet imo.

Also, couldnt they have just added proper axe effects instead of using the bullet effects again like in the mod lol....

Network Hub
    DayZ was the reason I initially got Arma 2, but instead I barely played the mod and ended up joining FOLKS/ARPS and their coop shenanigans.

But what I've heard so far about the stand-alone on /r/dayz sounds great. And I'm taking these reports and opinions seriously (filtering the hype), since I expect most players on the subreddit are experienced DayZ players. Supposedly, on the current build, survival is paramount. Thirst and hunger are a much greater danger than manshooting bandits. You can often find other fully equipped players lying around dead, because they dehydrated. And since also all (or most?) buildings are now accessible and loot therein is often hidden in sinks, on top of drawers or even under beds, the game now has a much deserved slower pace. Additionally player interaction, even if eventually hostile, might end up more complex and communicative. You can draw blood for transfusions from other players if you handcuff them, and only if they're alive.

I've not yet bought it, and I'm not sure if I will in the near future, but the prospect of getting a DayZ experience that might not necessarily end up in a glorified hide-and-bushwack sniper elite certainly sparked my interest again. So if you get it, I might just as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I'm intrigued and would also only be interested in this as a group effort, really. I'd wait until beta, though...
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Ok, sounds like there's enough that I'll take the punt. Alpha is definitely a mess but it's cheap. I'll not touch the game until much later I'm sure.

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I should really get the stand alone since I enjoyed the mod so much. That involuntary blood transfusion thing sounds terrifying and badass. So yeah, count me in.

Well, its Steam Sale, maybe DayZ goes on sale at some point ?

DayZ is the worst game for a group effort, though :D
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If the alpha version goes on sale, I'll definitely get it. So I'll be up for playing as a group as soon as the game is in a playable stage.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Yeah, think i'll take the plunge and grab it whilst its cheap... In the hoping that it becomes everything that the mad was and more.

Also, and slightly unrelated... I've just seen Jim in the DayZ mumble channel. Perhaps he's also given it a shot.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Watched Robbaz' playthrough. Thought it looked a mess, even by DayZ standards. Then this happened and I remembered why people put up with such a buggy mess the first time round;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...hkXKieQw#t=696
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Rocket himself says to people on his twitter account not to buy the game if you're on the fence. He says it's still buggy as hell, and will probably be much better in a few months, so wait for the beta.

I'm with nick. I gambled on arma and that came good and this is by the same devs. I have no intention of playing anytime soon just want to get it cheap.

Wally is now on Steam!

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    For the record - I own DayZ Alpha, I've played it quite a bit, and you might like to know there's some RPS people that play DayZ standalone already. Quite a few of us were into the game, and a number of those people came back. There's a thread in the ARMA forums (actually, it's the last thread replied to in there, and the last person that replied was me!) - they're good people.

As for the game itself; it's definitely still alpha, but it's playable. I can't state this strongly enough though - don't buy it expecting a polished experience. You can and will get killed by bugged zombies, you can and will have to lose everything to character wipes ... but the atmosphere is right there.

I get a proper huge shot of adrenaline course through me whenever I see another player in that game and no other game has ever done that to me (apart from the DayZ mod).

Also I don't see DayZ going on Steam sale at any point in the near future - it's just been released, and there would be no surer way of pissing off the hundred thousand or so people that already bought it to drop the price. Bohemia really doesn't need to generate sales at this point!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    I think id still rather wait for it to be stable. Arma 3 dropped in price pretty quickly, so even if it goes up post alpha, im sure itl be reduced at some point.

Im sure its fun now, but day z is nothing I cant wait for, given ive played the mod so much.

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Im sure its fun now, but day z is nothing I cant wait for, given ive played the mod so much.
    I think this is basically the right attitude to have. It's fun now (although not sure fun is the right word - it's an experience) but if you're not dying to jump back into Chernarus immediately, I'd wait.

I'll join the list of people waiting for it to get to beta and be a bit more stable, then I would willing try to survive the night with some of you lot. Although not if you have lashers, I get TK a lot by lashers.