Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maybe DayZ?

Activated Node
    I am interested in playing... will wait until after xmas to get it unless there is a sale over xmas... although I doubt that!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Hmmm. Having watched this and been reminded of what DayZ was actually like I'm no longer so excited. I'm thinking I might now wait until the game has developed some kind of meta. If that meta turns out to be the same old TDM rubbish then I'll pass. If it actually develops into something more interesting then it could be amazing.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Last month, the developer discussed that DayZ's pricing model will work in increasing increments as each stage of the game's development is rolled out. For instance, those who get on board early will have cheap access to it, then the price will possibly go up in $10 increments as the beta and retail versions are released.
    Wonder what happened to this?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Wonder what happened to this?
    Yeah, if they are doing this, it started a bit high.

If they end up with it being much more than 20 I probably wouldnt bother until it comes down.

I would essentially be paying a full price game amount for what is in all honesty a glorified mod, which is a remake of a free mod :P.

I'm tempted, if only for moments like this

ARMA, Planetside 2 - Lynche (The 'e' is silent)
    Steam, PS3, Minecraft - Safilpope

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Hahahaha. Yeah, that was brilliant, but was it really natural, or staged :P?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That was great. You think it's going one way, then it doesn't!

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    I don't know if that was staged, but it was hilarious.

DayZ isn't for everyone for sure - especially now. The new thirst/hunger mechanics are pretty brutal, there are a lot of bugs (zombies being able to run through walls etc. are probably my favourite). But it's still DayZ and it still gets a massive adrenaline hit out of me every time I spot a player.

Quote Originally Posted by sketchseven View Post
    massive adrenaline hit out of me every time I spot a player.
    this. dayz is the only game that gives me comparable rush to eve online in terms of pvp.

right now alpha lacks a lot of content - almost no zombies, only several guns etc. but you can see great improvements compared to mod already - majority of buildings are enterable, bunch of new areas and new buildings added to the map, inventory is completely reworked and is quite decent, all items/guns are modular, completely reworked medical/health system. not to mention network architecture under the hood made from scratch. only major downside besides technical glitches due to alpha is melee combat, it still sucks and im not sure can be completely reworked in arma engine.
    anyway theres a reason why even in steam page its advised not to buy right now. currently its just starter buildings blocks for the future and potential to become something great is already there, freed from limitations of the mod.
    Last edited by grasskit; 25-12-2013 at 02:34 PM.

I caved and bought it last night. What they say is true, sure there are zombies but the other players are what makes it scary!

I found a rifle this morning and later held someone up with it; that was pretty tense, especially so considering I had no ammo... The second guy I held up thought he could chance it, unlucky for him I had found some ammo by then!
    ARMA, Planetside 2 - Lynche (The 'e' is silent)
    Steam, PS3, Minecraft - Safilpope

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    One other thing - the atmosphere of Chernarus is right up there. It can look a bit ropey (especially if you have to drop the settings as I do to get decent FPS) but there's something about those deserted Eastern European towns and the rolling autumnal hills - perfect setting to try and survive a zombie apocalypse.